This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet de Bordeaux

Eric Quilleré has been named Directeur de la danse in Bordeaux. He was assistant director under Jude and has been interim director since Jude's departure.

Also announced: a partnership for sharing productions with Paris Opera Ballet, and one ballet a year for 3 years from Angelin Preljocaj, including potentially a piece created on the Bordeaux company in the third year.

This news from Bordeaux:

The Bordeaux Opera has lost its last principal dancer (sudouest.fr)

So why leave Bordeaux? "It is clear that the resources allocated to dance are constantly decreasing," she regrets. "In 2022-2023, there will only be three productions and, instead, we will only be given little tricks to do. I'm 30 years old, I don't want to wait for things to get better."

I took a look at the Bordeaux Opera's Web site and it looks like the only ballet productions for 2022-23 are Cinderella (December 2022), a mixed bill (April-May 2023) and Don Quixote (June-July 2023).

This on top of cuts in the number of company positions several years ago.

Eric Quilleré succeeded Charles Jude as director, and he may not have as much clout to fight for funding and resources.

Although I took a look at the site of the company in Toulouse, which is also classically based, and it also has only three productions planned at the opera house, plus three performances of a fourth program at a different venue.

Edited by volcanohunter