This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring 2015: Cinderella

This typical Wed. matinee audience was mostly composed of parents, children, and seniors; I imagine the vocal Stella fans probably will be at the Saturday show. Since the Act I curtain rises with Cinderella and her family already on stage, there was no real opportunity for today’s crowd to greet Stella the way she deserves. However, she did receive thunderous, well-earned applause at the final Act III curtain, and at the post-performance curtain bows as well. Stella gave what I thought to be a near-flawless performance. She was lyrical, heartbreaking, and just plain gorgeous to watch. Her en-pointe entrance to the ball was ethereal, as if she were floating down the stairs. Gorak made a really fine prince, and he appeared more expressive in this role than he did as Romeo, but he still could use a good acting coach. All of his heavy lifting with Copeland seems to have paid off, because he had virtually no trouble with the lifts, and he and Stella were well matched, both so lyrical and lovely. As the fairies, I thought Sarah Lane as Spring and Luciana Paris as Autumn were the best. If Lane had only danced Aurora last month with as much verve and vibrancy as she did today, things might be a little brighter for her. I must add that this was the quietest audience full of children I’ve ever experienced. Even the newborn baby swaddled by her mother across the aisle made no sound throughout the three acts. Just amazing. I guess they were all mesmerized by Stella!

At intermission it is very clear which seats are empty...

Not true, actually, especially if it's a mixed bill. Just this past Sunday at the RB I moved only 2 rows ahead at intermission. When I came back (I met friends during the break), the person whose seat it actually was was patiently waiting for me to remove my jacket and bag. They had simply decided to skip Infra. Also, several years ago at ABT at the Met my husband and I moved from the rear orchestra to something further front. While we were sitting there, who should come by but Alessandra Ferri! She, too, had skipped the first piece and we were in her seats:( She is an idol of mine so I found it very embarrassing.

If you take a seat that's not yours, just don't assume it's empty; it might or might not be. Be prepared that you might have to give it up.

Did Stella get a good welcome at her performance today? I wish I could've been there to scream a few extra bravas for her! Hope someone posts the bows on YouTube.

She got loads of applause. I was so focused on my video during the bows and kind of tuned out everything else. Here's the brief video:

http://t.co/fVNn4MS1mC

I thought Stella was beautiful and radiant. Her mime sections were very clear, much clearer than Seo's. I thought Stella's pique manege was quite lovely, but then again, to my amazement, so was Hee Seo's. Joey was wonderful. Such an elegant dancer. He does need to work more on his partnering (the off-kilter supported pirouettes Balanchinomane mentioned). Stella fell off pointe very briefly, right after her supported, luxious, developpé into second in Act 3. If I hadn't been sitting so close, (orchestra row F center) I wouldn't have seen it. I have to commend Aaron Scott as the Jester on Monday. He was both extremely virtuosic and funny in Act 1. Gabe Stone Shayer, the Jester at the Wednesday matinee) wasn't nearly as good on either counts. And to compare Veronika's immaculate Fairy Godmother on Monday to Wednesday afternoon's Devon Teuscher is unfair. The fairies at the matinee were very good: Sarah Lane was a perfect (and I mean perfect) Spring, Stephanie Williiams was Summer, Luciana Paris was Autumn and April Giangeruso was Winter. As I said, they were all very good but Sarah stood out for her classicism. The shtick with the sisters is also a bit much for me. Not my favorite ballet but somehow I still have 2 more to see (Nunez and Gillian)

Nunez was a dream as Cindy. Can we keep her?

seconded! She was so warm and lovely. the shifts between crispness and melting softness were just gorgeous (sorry for my poor wording; bad night of sleep).

She really seemed so happy to be here and to be so appreciative of her partner, the conductor. It was really lovely.

I liked Salstein giving Whiteside his bouquet, nice touch.

Whiteside was a good partner and much better overall than Hammoudi had been on Tuesday.

seconded! She was so warm and lovely. the shifts between crispness and melting softness were just gorgeous (sorry for my poor wording; bad night of sleep).

She really seemed so happy to be here and to be so appreciative of her partner, the conductor. It was really lovely.

I liked Salstein giving Whiteside his bouquet, nice touch.

Whiteside was a good partner and much better overall than Hammoudi had been on Tuesday.

I "third" everything said about Nunez! Her Cinderella was magnificent. Possibly the best menage circles I've seen in some time. Effortless, yet shimmering and precise. Her upper body all luxurious cream and her batterie work absolutely glistened. Pure delight. And I felt she brought out a new maturity and joy in Whiteside. Sometimes he seems to be just "doing the work", but last night he too shone with a new brightness. A good partnership. Please, ABT, bring her back!!

omg Marianela is a dreammmmm, I have no words to describe this marvel, she was exquisite, her dancing is so luxurious and her technique so strong, clean and transparent, she was also so adorable as Cindirella.....She mades everything look so easy, so natural, her dancing its so creamy, i could go on and on for ever....Marianela has it all, I can only only wish for more of her next year, pleaseeeeee.

Isabella was magnificent, she looked to me more beautiful than ever, and those jetes !!! I loved how much more controlled I notices her arms, she really delivered some impressive dancing last night.

Whiteside is a great partner, he made Marianela look stunning, however neither his dancing, or acting matches her, in my opinion...and I think his weaknesses are much more noticeable next to her. I didnt like the partnership overall, I would love to see Marianela dancing with David or Joe Gorak.

Huge Kudos to Romam Z and Salstein, the stepsisters, the audience laughed a lot with them, very funny really, it was the ice on the cake for this magnificent night.

I do live in London, I've watched her since she joined the company and it's been wonderful seeing her grow and mature into the lovely ballerina she is now. I should add that she's as nice off stage as she is on, and if ABT tries to poach her, war will break out between ABT management and Nela's British fans. Kevin MacKenzie beware!

I "third" everything said about Nunez! Her Cinderella was magnificent. Possibly the best menage circles I've seen in some time. Effortless, yet shimmering and precise. Her upper body all luxurious cream and her batterie work absolutely glistened. Pure delight. And I felt she brought out a new maturity and joy in Whiteside. Sometimes he seems to be just "doing the work", but last night he too shone with a new brightness. A good partnership. Please, ABT, bring her back!!

Completely agreed, mimsyb! And Nunez lifted up everyone's performance. Roman and Craig, who seemed a little OTP on Monday were just very funny Thursday. The fairies and Prince's friends were really on their game, too. I think, due to the July 4 holiday (as well as it being ABT's final show at the Met) the supporting cast on Saturday night might not be as good. But as long as Nela and James can show up, I'm there.

I do live in London, I've watched her since she joined the company and it's been wonderful seeing her grow and mature into the lovely ballerina she is now. I should add that she's as nice off stage as she is on, and if ABT tries to poach her, war will break out between ABT management and Nela's British fans. Kevin MacKenzie beware!

Wait! Didn't America win TWO wars with the British? Just kidding. Hahahahaha. But I find it quite fitting that Nunez, from Argentina, and currently with an English company should get the final performance with an American company. Happy Birthday, America!!!

For those who have tickets to see tomorrow evening or rather tonight Nela's Cinderella, the curtain time is 7pm, not 8pm, the usually Sat. evening time.

Wow, mussel, thanks for pointing this out! I think of that Saturday 8pm time as set in stone and never thought to check it. I guess because it's July 4th? The box office should have pointed this out when I bought them. I would have been pretty [expletive here]. And to miss Nunez too?!! Anyway, thanks - you saved me!

Having now watched a few Cindy performances, I can report that both Whiteside and Stearns are doing the full male variation as choreographed by Ashton in Act II. Hammoudi is doing a much simplified version, but it still looks like a sloppy mess even with the easier choreography. Have not seen Gorak yet.

Thank you, California, for this clip of Nunez in Manon. She is so pliant and dramatic as well. I've seen Manon with three different ballerinas (Ferri, Kent,and Vishneva, I think) and I don't remember the lift triple twists. Here they are breathtaking--all they are missing is the throw that pairs figure skaters do after the triple twist. I wonder which came first--this ballet move or the signature throw triple twist that all world class figure skating pairs have to execute successfully.

I understand that MacMillan was fascinated with pairs figure skating and was inspired by that in creating Manon. Once you are aware of that historical tidbit, you start noticing other skating-like moves in this ballet.

Yes there's definitely sort of an inside edge death spiral at 4:06 here:

But I find it quite fitting that Nunez, from Argentina, and currently with an English company should get the final performance with an American company. Happy Birthday, America!!!

A little more patriotism on the last day of the season: final company class with fouettes to the Star Spangled Banner. According to Gillian's Instagram, all-American Ethan Stiefel taught the class: https://instagram.com/abtofficial/ You can catch a glimpse of him in the far left of the clip.

Oops! That music is Sousa's Stars and Stripes Forever. Sorry!