This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring 2015: Giselle

That was such a horrendous fall. Even though Osipova soldiered on at the end she was limping and you could tell she was in pain. I can't see how she can possibly be ready for those Bayaderes next week. Still, I hope it wasn't as bad as it looked and sending out my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

As for her performance I'm pretty much with Amour on this one. With the exception of her mad scene (which I didn't like) I thought her first act was amazing - for all the reasons cited in previous posts - her ballon, elevation, speed all contributed to the overall joy and effusiveness of her portrayal. She changed some steps, she embellished but how can you complain, she was phenomenal.

She was also phenomenal in the 2nd act but here I felt that the extreme technical feats, remarkable though they were, took away from the poignancy and heartbreak. She did not appear spirit-like, weightless or ethereal at all, she couldn't have been more flesh and blood. I recall noticing this last time she danced Giselle with ABT but this time I felt it was even more pronounced.

I was not impressed with McRae and didn't think he and Osipova looked good together. LOVED Zhurbin, Part, Katherine Williams (the blonde Williams)and Fang. I have been a fan of Zhong-Jing Fang for years. There was a time 6-7 years ago when she was getting a lot of soloist parts and I thought she might be promoted but then she stopped being cast in anything but corps roles. I don't know why KM stopped casting her but she was gorgeous last night as Zulma and I hope we continue to see much more of her!

Regarding Part - I noticed the lack of beats only after Amour mentioned it. I agree that It is curious, but it doesn't bother me.

I agree with everyone in regards to Osipova's in the second act. I thought she was trying not to show off her athleticism when she toured with Mikhailovsky last year but she's back to her old self.

I enjoyed and appreciated her performance regardless. Her portrayal is so different from everyone in ABT and I liked it,especially after seeing 6 ABT Giselles in a row!

LOVED Zhurbin, Part, Katherine Williams (the blonde Williams)and Fang. I have been a fan of Zhong-Jing Fang for years. There was a time 6-7 years ago when she was getting a lot of soloist parts and I thought she might be promoted but then she stopped being cast in anything but corps roles. I don't know why KM stopped casting her but she was gorgeous last night as Zulma and I hope we continue to see much more of her!

I have always loved ZJ fang but after her bad injury a few years ago, she was not given any soloist pats.Just like Stella, i hope she gets a promotion soon. Same with K Williams.

If Osipova is unable to do her Bayadere's, that raises quite a few questions. When will they tell us? Will Sarafanov still do his Solors, but with a new partner, or was it a "package deal" like the ill-fated Smirnova/Chudin Bayadere casting? Who would replace her if she can't perform?

I definitely do NOT want to see Kochetkova as Nikiya, but I want to see Sarafanov. Kochetkova would seem to be the only available potential option if Osipova can't dance. I doubt Cojocaru would be willing to step in for an additional show. Sarafanov needs a smallish partner. Not much left to exchange into at this point even if I wanted to switch out of a Bayadere, given the huge number of cast changes that have already occurred.

I definitely do NOT want to see Kochetkova as Nikiya, but I want to see Sarafanov. Kochetkova would seem to be the only available potential option if Osipova can't dance. I doubt Cojocaru would be willing to step in for an additional show. Sarafanov needs a smallish partner. Not much left to exchange into at this point even if I wanted to switch out of a Bayadere, given the huge number of cast changes that have already occurred.

Actually though Sarafanov is very slight he is not short. Back when he was at the Mariinsky he partnered Tereshkina, Somova and even Vishneva. They can't POSSIBLY give Seo another performance so if Cojocaru or Kochetkova can't do another one they'd probably have to develop a new Nikyia. I'd love to see Stella but my money would be on Murphy or Boylston - and I'd prefer either to Kochetkova

If Osipova is unable to do her Bayadere's, that raises quite a few questions. When will they tell us? Will Sarafanov still do his Solors, but with a new partner, or was it a "package deal" like the ill-fated Smirnova/Chudin Bayadere casting? Who would replace her if she can't perform?

Hee Seo (just kidding) devil.gif. Joking aside, I'm sorry Osipova fell and I hope she isn't seriously injured. I don't know who would replace her, either.

I attended Xiomara's farewell performance and I agree with all the posts. I thought she was divine. Her dancing was superb, her acting was beautiful and as someone said on this thread, very natural. She excelled both as a young maiden and blessed spirit. Unlike many others here, this is only my second Giselle, although I have DVDs and watch on YouTube, too, and I think Reyes is my very favorite Giselle. She was everything Giselle should be, for me. Her entrechats in Act II were so light and fast and pretty - amazing, really. And what wonderful applause and tribute from her colleagues and fans; the heartfelt hugs, especially from Herman and Julie, the emotion and love that poured out of so many. I was very, very moved.

I enjoyed Herman's performance but I thought he was a bit lacking in his acting. Now, I haven't seen him much, either, so I don't know. But he didn't move me the way other Albrechts do.

I didn't hear the boos, but I'm not surprised. Xiomara has years of dancing still; she said so herself, so why would the company let such a treasure go? I'm pretty heartbroken about it and so it was a very bittersweet evening.

Whoever bashed the Parterre was absolutely right - the Parterre Box I was in - #4 - is awful.. There were only four people in the 8-seat box and if I had to sit in my assigned seat (4), I would have had no leg room and no view. I mean NO leg room. I sat behind it on a raised seat which was better BUT, the worst is that regardless, all seats in the box were partial vision. I'm so angry about this because I asked the box office specifically if they were partial vision and I was assured they were not. So I'm writing to make a complaint.

Thanks to everyone for all the updates on the other performances.

Oh, I don't know how i could forget Stella Abrera as Myrta - incredible. So commanding and she dances soooo beautifully. A most elegant creature. Sarah Lane and Gorak were delightful in the Peasant Pas de Deux, too. As were Misty Copeland and Luciana Paris as Zulma and Moyna. The corp was excellent. tiphat.gif A most memorable performance which I will treasure for so many reasons, despite my bad seat.

Whoever bashed the Parterre was absolutely right - the Parterre Box I was in - #4 - is awful.. There were only four people in the 8-seat box and if I had to sit in my assigned seat (4), I would have had no leg room and no view. I mean NO leg room. I sat behind it on a raised seat which was better BUT, the worst is that regardless, all seats in the box were partial vision. I'm so angry about this because I asked the box office specifically if they were partial vision and I was assured they were not. So I'm writing to make a complaint.

For some reason, the side boxes on every other level except the Parterre level are officially listed as partial view. I don't know why they refuse to classify the Parterre level side boxes as partial view as well. Having sat in a side parterre box one season when I first started going to ABT many moons ago, I feel that they are definitely partial view. For the opera I don't mind, but for ballet where the visual component is crucial, the boxes are a disaster in my opinion. (Not to mention that people move so close to you in their chairs to jockey for a position that you feel they might as well be seated in your lap.) Obviously the center parterre boxes (front row especially) have a great view, but those are the "high roller" seats which most "regular" people cannot even gain access to.

Actually though Sarafanov is very slight he is not short. Back when he was at the Mariinsky he partnered Tereshkina, Somova and even Vishneva. They can't POSSIBLY give Seo another performance so if Cojocaru or Kochetkova can't do another one they'd probably have to develop a new Nikyia. I'd love to see Stella but my money would be on Murphy or Boylston - and I'd prefer either to Kochetkova

I didn't realize that Vishneva is taller than Somova and Tereshkina- she was quite short in person (and I was wearing flats). I thought she's about the same height as Osipova.

Anyway, I'd love to see Stella dancing Nikiya but not sure whether that'll happen. Boylston/Sarafanov/Abrera works but then Stella will have to dance two Gamzatti in one day!

How about Obraztsova? Does she dance Nikya? Since she's doing an R&J she might be in town (and she's tiny).

I didn't realize that Vishneva is taller than Somova and Tereshkina- she was quite short in person (and I was wearing flats). I thought she's about the same height as Osipova.

Anyway, I'd love to see Stella dancing Nikiya but not sure whether that'll happen. Boylston/Sarafanov/Abrera works but then Stella will have to dance two Gamzatti in one day!

I didn't mean to imply that Vishneva is taller than Tereshkina or Somova, I don't think she is.

Best of luck to Maria Kochetkova for next week performances of La Bayedere. I wish I could be there.

I believe, just my opinion, that KM is trying to lure Kochetkova from SFB and will offer her a principal contract. I've seen her dance a few times and she is a good, good dancer but IMO she is no reason to deny in house dancers opportunities. Her name can't be a ticket draw. It's painfully obvious that he has no interest in offering Sarah Lane opportunities. With the departure of 3 principal women some replacements will happen even if it isn't 3 for 3. I figure it will be Copeland and Kochetkova (if she accepts}. Stella is a maybe after her Giselle. Lane no way. I would love to be wrong.

I believe, just my opinion, that KM is trying to lure Kochetkova from SFB and will offer her a principal contract. I've seen her dance a few times and she is a good, good dancer but IMO she is no reason to deny in house dancers opportunities. Her name can't be a ticket draw. It's painfully obvious that he has no interest in offering Sarah Lane opportunities. With the departure of 3 principal women some replacements will happen even if it isn't 3 for 3. I figure it will be Copeland and Kochetkova (if she accepts}. Stella is a maybe after her Giselle. Lane no way. I would love to be wrong.

Which in-house dancer could have danced Nikiya with Sarafanov, though?

Murphy has danced Nikiya, but she was not cast in that role this season. I think Kochetkova's invitations have been solely because Herman needs a tiny little partner, and KM refuses to give roles to tiny little Sarah Lane. Therefore, he must look outside the company for Herman's partners. KM has offered Kochetkova less this season (one show only) than prior seasons. It's just a matter of circumstances that she now has 3 Bayaderes instead of one. If he were really interested in her as a permanent company member, he would not have invited her for only one show this season.