This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2015 Season, Continued

Does anyone have a particular ballet or cast they recommend? In addition to my subscription, I was thinking I should get a few cheaper seats or one more good seat. I am considering Cinderella with Marianela Nunez, mostly to see Nunuz; Swan Lake, to see the ABT version (I have seen the Bolshoi, Mariinsky, NYCB, and a guest company or two at the Kennedy Center when I was younger and barely remember), and La Bayadere, as I have never seen it, and would like to see Cojucaru's interpretation if possible. Any other dancer/ ballet recs? I loved Osipova in Don Quixote, I don't know whether her style is as suited to a Sleeping Beauty, but open to suggestions. Thoughts?

I enjoyed the gala performances, although I wasn't keen on the western themed scenes/ choreography. I wonder if it's generational- I'm not a fan of western movies, cowboy anything, musicals like Oklahoma, etc (for various reasons), but I understand they played a significant role in American culture, mythos, and media, particularly at the time those ballets were choreographed. Yikes at Don Quixote. Otherwise, it was wonderful to see such a melange of performances. As a ballet neophyte (and a product of the ADD/ internet generation, to be honest), I immensely appreciated being able to take in just a smidgen from many eras and styles, although I know purists are rarely fans of taking in complete works in bits and pieces. It was good for me to note what I want to see more of first and what is better left to youtube.

I loved Osipova in Don Quixote, I don't know whether her style is as suited to a Sleeping Beauty, but open to suggestions.

Osipova is now out of Sleeping Beauty. She is dancing in Bayadere as Nikiya--a role she has not danced a lot and that is not an obvious fit for her in some ways. (I haven't seen her dance the role. I saw her as Gamzatti in the same ballet and loved that performance). For myself, I have never found Osipova to be anything less than very interesting to watch whatever she does and so I am looking forward to her Nikiya. Cojocaru should also be lovely in Bayadere...I think her virtuosity, so to speak, is probably not what it once was, but she dances a very beautiful and spiritual Nikiya and I think she is a ballerina who is, to recall your words, not best left to youtube.

I envy you seeing Nunez in Cinderella which I will not be able to see. That should be a wonderful performance. I don't know if you have seen Gillian Murphy much yet? If not, then she is someone to see if you can (in any role). Of male dancers, Cornejo would be my first recommendation.

In fact, Nina Ananiasvilli will be guesting in K-Ballet Company (Japan) 's Le Corsaire this month and June, she will be dancing the role of Medora.

She guested in that company last year in Swan Lake and she did perfect 32 fouettes as the black swan. So inviting her back at ABT would be a great idea.

I just have to give kudos to the ABT/Met staff in their handling of a seating issue the glorious evening of Stella's debut. I was sitting with my daughter in the balcony. I was in Row A but her ticket was right behind me in Row B. She is not a fan of heights to say the least but I thought if she wasn't in the first row she would be ok. Wrong - turns out she had her eyes closed (unbeknownst to me) for the entire first act. At the break she asked an usher if she could go somewhere to watch the second act on a screen. He sent her downstairs to the house manager who was stationed with a laptop in the front of the lobby where the ticket takers usually are. She explained her situation and he immediately gave her 2 handwritten tickets for both of us in Row T of the orchestra. Now I realize if there had been no seats available she would have been out of luck so we were very grateful. I was planning to stay in the Balcony but it was nice to be able to sit side by side and see from a different perspective.

I just have to give kudos to the ABT/Met staff in their handling of a seating issue the glorious evening of Stella's debut. ... Now I realize if there had been no seats available she would have been out of luck so we were very grateful.

What a great solution to something that could have been just misery -- I'm so glad this came together for you and your daughter!

I just have to give kudos to the ABT/Met staff in their handling of a seating issue the glorious evening of Stella's debut. I was sitting with my daughter in the balcony. I was in Row A but her ticket was right behind me in Row B. She is not a fan of heights to say the least but I thought if she wasn't in the first row she would be ok. Wrong - turns out she had her eyes closed (unbeknownst to me) for the entire first act. At the break she asked an usher if she could go somewhere to watch the second act on a screen. He sent her downstairs to the house manager who was stationed with a laptop in the front of the lobby where the ticket takers usually are. She explained her situation and he immediately gave her 2 handwritten tickets for both of us in Row T of the orchestra. Now I realize if there had been no seats available she would have been out of luck so we were very grateful. I was planning to stay in the Balcony but it was nice to be able to sit side by side and see from a different perspective.

Nice. There were also quite a few seats in the side sections of the Grand Tier that night. I was wondering that had it NOT been Stella in the role, but Semionova, would there have been even more empties? I'm sure Stella helped fill quite a few seats. And also, many of the ABT alumni in the orchestra probably took up a lot of seats which may or may not have been sold otherwise.

Another shout out to the very kind performance manager at the opera house. I chose row A family circle for a May 13 performance and was dismayed that I couldn't see over the bar without leaning forward-uncomfortable for me and rude to the person behind me. There were many empty seats but rather than just take one farther back, at first intermission I requested another seat and he write me a pass for dress circle. Appreciated and above and beyond what I expected.

Note to self to avoid that row. I have it for another performance and plan to switch to another section, glad to pay for the new SB. I've sat in FC many times for opera and ballet (when my credit card has been on fire due to many ticket purchases) but I must not have sat in row A before. Not a good seat.

Back to photos. I always like to check out the New York Social Diary following ballet galas. There's a lovely photo of Ashley Bouder here, another one of Angel Corella, and I have to say that I love the outfits worn by Diana Vishneva and James Whiteside. They are fearless and a whole lot of fun, just what's needed at such a gala.

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/social-diary/2015/a-diamond-jubilee-abts-75th-anniversary-spring-gala

Back to photos. I always like to check out the New York Social Diary following ballet galas. There's a lovely photo of Ashley Bouder here, another one of Angel Corella, and I have to say that I love the outfits worn by Diana Vishneva and James Whiteside. They are fearless and a whole lot of fun, just what's needed at such a gala.

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/social-diary/2015/a-diamond-jubilee-abts-75th-anniversary-spring-gala

Both patrons and (for the most part) dancers looked as if they didn't know how to get dressed! So many ill fitting gowns. For all that money, few looked elegant or comfortable. Misty's dress looked like she had a pink cervical collar around her neck. I have never known Rachel Moore to look good in a gown,,,,any gown! This one was a mess. Martine Van Hamel looked wonderful and she wasn't even named! Shame. I guess for pure flash, both Max and Irina were fine. Mostly the men stood out as the best dressers in this group. Loved Gomes and Angel. And even Whiteside at least looked festive! And also Vishneva looked like a finished product . But this was a long, long way from any Red Carpet I've seen.

Mostly the men stood out as the best dressers in this group.

But really, don't you think it's much easier for men to look pulled-together at these kind of events -- unless you really want to take an unusual path, or you just didn't bother about fit at all, it's very hard to go wrong with a tux.

What I'd like to know is, how does Stella Matzari sit down? (about 3/4 of the way down the page)

Both patrons and (for the most part) dancers looked as if they didn't know how to get dressed! So many ill fitting gowns. For all that money, few looked elegant or comfortable. Misty's dress looked like she had a pink cervical collar around her neck. I have never known Rachel Moore to look good in a gown,,,,any gown! This one was a mess. Martine Van Hamel looked wonderful and she wasn't even named! Shame. I guess for pure flash, both Max and Irina were fine. Mostly the men stood out as the best dressers in this group. Loved Gomes and Angel. And even Whiteside at least looked festive! And also Vishneva looked like a finished product . But this was a long, long way from any Red Carpet I've seen.

In person, Irina was (and generally is) stunning. She must get her gowns gifted or she borrows them. I can't imagine she has the money to buy them.

I went in the downstairs entrance at the Met gala night to avoid the hullabaloo of the red carpet out front so I only saw some of the people pictured in this article.