This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Misty Copeland, Part Deux

Helene

Adding to this that in the context of the show, the segment was shown at the beginning of the broadcast, not the tail end, took up a fair amount of time, and the finale included other dancers from ABT as well as Misty. The jokes about how funny guys look in tutus were fairly obvious, but viewers could learn what a changement is.

I was very (and pleasantly) surprised the segment was at the beginning of the show and as long as it was. It's ... uh ... not really my sensibility but I did laugh a bit at Kimmel claiming Copeland was so critical of his ballet dancing because she was jealous of his remarkable talent etc.

Pretty spectacular and expensive to stage, with gorgeous costumes and background figures to match. I was reminded, however, of Tiler Peck's portrayal of Degas's Little Dancer last year and the exquisitely beautiful pose she struck as the dancer. I'll have to read the article to see the reason for the project of Misty as a Degas dancer.

I think most celebs that are invited to and attend the Met gala want their dresses to be red carpet standouts and make headlines. It's almost like the Oscars in terms of status. Misty looked terrific, but that was a very conservative and "safe" choice in the context of this particular gala.

On 2/9/2017 at 1:40 PM, maps said:

Steph Curry is awesome on so many levels. :)

A profile of Copeland by Aaron Hicklin in The Guardian.

Copeland did not always perceive the prejudice she was up against as plainly as she does today. As an adolescent, dance was a safe harbour where she felt entirely at home. “Going to a school in southern California that was very diverse I never felt like I fitted in,” she says. “But stick me in a ballet studio surrounded by white girls, and I was, like: ‘Oh, I belong here.’ I wasn’t even thinking about the colour of my skin.”