This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Misty Copeland, Part Deux

Helene

I just saw this in the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/11/travel/thursdays-travel-news-and-tips.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftravel

A HOTEL STAY, WITH BALLET

The ballerina Misty Copeland is an attraction of American Ballet Theater’s season at the Metropolitan Opera House in New York City this summer, and the Smyth, a Thompson Hotel, in TriBeCa, has a package where guests can see — and meet — the dancer. “Behind the Curtains: Misty Copeland” is offered through July 4 and includes a two-night stay in a deluxe room with upgrade upon availability, a signed copy of Ms. Copeland’s autobiography called “Life in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina,” two tickets to one of her performances of “Swan Lake,” “Romeo and Juliet” or “Cinderella” and a post-show meeting at the stage door with the star. Rates from $599 a night.

I'm very curious about the implications of this ad. High roller type hotels regularly have concierge services that can get tickets to Broadway shows or sporting events or concerts at a premium. However, they never come as a package deal with meeting the artist or signed copies of books. Does this mean that Misty's PR team has bought up some blocks of tickets and made a deal with the Smyth Hotel re a Misty Package?

There are plenty of people who regularly talk with all the dancers at the stage door at no cost whatsoever, so I'm confused as to why anyone would pay for that benefit.

Also, I'm not aware that Misty will star in Cinderella. She may have a supporting role, but she doesn't have the lead as far as I know.

I must hand it to Team Misty. They are out there pushing Misty's name in every way possible.

She's not starring in Cinderella, but she probably has a supporting role as she has in the past. The promotion doesn't say she has the lead but since she does in SL and RJ I could see people assuming she does in Cinderella too. But, that's easy to look up.

I must hand it to Team Misty. They are out there pushing Misty's name in every way possible.

Indeed. Tacky, tacky, tacky.

She's not starring in Cinderella, but she probably has a supporting role as she has in the past. The promotion doesn't say she has the lead but since she does in SL and RJ I could see people assuming she does in Cinderella too. But, that's easy to look up.

People shouldn't have to look up something that's implied to find out it isn't true.

People shouldn't have to look up something that's implied to find out it isn't true.

Well, I can see it both ways. If I were reading this for the first time without knowledge of the casting, I would assume she's starring in all 3 ballets but the promotion doesn't say that. It doesn't even say she's starring in the 2 that she is. It's very clever marketing as, yes I agree it's implied, but they can get away with it because of the vagueness. As the saying goes, buyer beware.

For all we know the hotel is using her name without permission or knowledge. A stage door meeting implies that no contact was necessary and the signed copies of the book could have been picked up at any of the book signings. There's no proof that Team Misty engineered this stunt.

I just saw this in the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/11/travel/thursdays-travel-news-and-tips.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftravel

A HOTEL STAY, WITH BALLET

The ballerina Misty Copeland is an attraction of American Ballet Theaters season at the Metropolitan Opera House in New York City this summer, and the Smyth, a Thompson Hotel, in TriBeCa, has a package where guests can see and meet the dancer. Behind the Curtains: Misty Copeland is offered through July 4 and includes a two-night stay in a deluxe room with upgrade upon availability, a signed copy of Ms. Copelands autobiography called Life in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina, two tickets to one of her performances of Swan Lake, Romeo and Juliet or Cinderella and a post-show meeting at the stage door with the star. Rates from $599 a night.

OMG, you have got to be kidding me. Wow, that PR machine Misty has is working triple overtime!

P.S. Just looked up the offer on the Smyth website. The offer also includes 2 complimentary drinks. There is a disclaimer that not all performances feature Misty. The offer on the hotel website says nothing about a stage door meeting. Still, what a PR stunt:((

For all we know the hotel is using her name without permission or knowledge. A stage door meeting implies that no contact was necessary and the signed copies of the book could have been picked up at any of the book signings. There's no proof that Team Misty engineered this stunt.

The promotion refers to "An evening at the ballet: Curated" [ugh] "by Misty Copeland."

Still, what a PR stunt:((

This comment isn't directed at you specifically Amour. I am just a little surprised by the animus displayed when no one has all the facts.

How many people do you think are going to partake in this amazing PR stunt? Hundreds of thousands, millions, or possibly more?

Perhaps the hotel, wanting to capitalize on her recent visibility, approached ABT and Misty Copeland asking if she'd be willing to help them sell a few extra hotel rooms? Given Misty's recent success with Under Armour, 60 Minutes, and Tony Awards, I doubt this hotel gig is on the same scale. If you were Misty and were asked, what would you do?

If I were in her pointe shoes, I know what I'd do. I'd accept. If I could promote my book, ABT, and ballet in general, I'd be game. And why not?

"Curate?" Perhaps what they mean is more or less the same sort of thing NYCB docents do with their "first position" introductions to some performances? At least I can picture Copeland doing that for a performance in which she wasn't dancing or not dancing the lead. And her admirers still get to meet her 'up close and personal.'

Mastercard and ABT have some sort of promotional deal where you get to watch a performance from the wings. Kristen has written about it on this site. This seems to me to belong to the same genre--but personalized, obviously, around a particular dancer.

ABT and ballet generally can certainly use some new forms of promotion...As for individual dancers, if Copeland gets the opportunity and is cool with doing this sort of thing, then why not? It's not the most high-minded use of a dancer's time, but few promotional (or fund-raising) activities are. The hotel and her team will find out whether it pulls people in, creates excitement etc.

What does that even mean? "Curated". I'm confused. I know what a curator does in an art museum, but ballet? I don't get it.

I think it's a trendy but pretentious term nowadays. One used to think of a curator as a scholar at a museum who would spend months or years putting together an educational exhibition and exhibition catalog. Granted, Copeland knows more than a little about ballet, but how much can she impart before and after a performance, if she evens spends that much time with these people? Not that she's to blame for the term here.

Mastercard and ABT have some sort of promotional deal where you get to watch a performance from the wings..

When I had friends in ABT in the 1980's they brought me to watch performances, not in the wings, but above them, a bit below where the lights are. I'd get my own chair and everything. (There's a wooden platform up there) But, frankly, the view stinks. I'd much rather watch from out front.

abatt, on 12 Jun 2015 - 2:16 PM, said:

Another round of pearl-clutching over the shameless Copeland? Yes, indeed, this is just the most outrageous PR effort ever.

I think it's a trendy but pretentious term nowadays. One used to think of a curator as a scholar at a museum who would spend months or years putting together an educational exhibition and exhibition catalog.

It seems to be especially popular in upscale advertising pitches. A really frightful use of the word.

Another round of pearl-clutching over the shameless Copeland? Yes, indeed, this is just the most outrageous PR effort ever.

Not sure why some people follow Misty's "PR" if they dislike it so much. I don't like Whiteside's "music" career and think it's tacky and distasteful, and do you know what I do? I don't follow it.

It'd be nice if this thread wouldn't be so negative like it was before.

Not sure why some people follow Misty's "PR" if they dislike it so much. I don't like Whiteside's "music" career and think it's tacky and distasteful, and do you know what I do? I don't follow it.

It'd be nice if this thread wouldn't be so negative like it was before.

Me, I just "follow" Ballet Alert. smile.png