Helene

Misty Copeland, Part Deux

I agree that in our culture it's a good sign that businesses consider dancers to have attained a level of public recognition that makes them attractive shills for some industries. As mentioned, it's also nice for the dancers, who are only an injury away from losing their livelihoods. I also think that ad campaigns like the "I Will What I Want" series for Under Armour reflect a positive change in the images of women that corporations believe will sell their stuff - Copeland was presented not only as beautiful but as powerful and strong in that beauty. I just don't think there's anything particularly praiseworthy or edifying in the whole business, and sometimes it's intrusive, as canbelto observed. 

It was a very nice review, and she wouldn't be the first dancer who was asked to review a book.

The reviews are written in an excellent language and a clear, informative manner, with wisely selected quotes. What a joy it is that Misty is not only a ballerina with accomplished physical and artistic abilities, but also possesses a high intellect.

I will buy the Jacobs book on the strength of Misty's review. Thank you very much for posting the links to the reviews.

I'll be looking for both of these -- thanks for the heads-up, and the link to the review.