This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Maya Plisetskaya

In today's Links there are reports from the Russian press (in English):

http://balletalert.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/40092-saturday-may-2/?p=353377

Tributes and condolensces are coming in strong on social media; here are some:

Tiit Helimets:

I saw her dance in Estonia many times. May you rest in peace Maya. #mayaplisetskaya #dyingswan… https://instagram.com/p/2MjY59hky_/

We often forget how important Soviet artists were in Eastern Europe and the Baltics, too.

Marc Haegeman:

Sad news, Maya Plisetskaya, one of the true legends of ballet died at the age of 89. R.I.P.

This shot was taken... http://fb.me/1HOBUT1Y6

Culture House:

One of greatest C20th ballerinas Maya Plisetskaya has died. She gave one last fiery interview to @ismeneb in 2014 http://specc.ie/1tjIdEV

Le Monde (in French):

Quote via Google translate:

The great ballet dancer Maya Plisetskaya died at 89 years, announced Saturday, May 2 the director of the Bolshoi Theatre, Vladimir Ourine. "She died of a heart attack. The doctors tried everything they have done anything " , announced Mr. Ourine quoted by the Russian news agency TASS.

medici.tv:

Diva, beauty and grace... pays tribute to Maya Plisetskaya: http://ow.ly/MqS7K #RIP #Plissetskaya

Diana Vishneva:

The epoch of Great Ballet Legends comes to an end today… Unforgettable, terrific and beloved Maya Plisetskaya!

Laura Cappelle:

Very sad to hear about Plisetskaya. Last spotted her in a St. Petersburg restaurant, with that unmistakable aura...

I can't believe it. I'm crying as I write this. I was just talking about Maya today with my husband after doing some internet research, saw her Wikipedia article (which wasn't updated yet), and I made a mental note to watch some of her videos soon. I was saying she'll be 90 in Nov of this year! I'm speechless and my heart is broken. There was really no one like Maya - her thrilling dancing, her charm, her charisma and that wonderful, wonderful defiance. My condolences to Mr. Shchedrin. Rest in Peace, dear Maya. We all love you so and we will miss you so much.

RIP. I was fully expecting and looking forward to a 90th birthday gala at the Bolshoi later this year. I took it as a 'given' that beautiful Maya with her flaming red hair would be with us forever. In a way, she will.

I was fortunate enough to see her perform, on tour in Detroit, when I was about 11 years old. An experience I will always remember. I am sad to hear this news, although on the other hand I really didn't know that she was still among us! She lived a good, long life. Strong woman! R.I.P.

Not much of an obit. Nothing but political point-making. Not that politics are irrelevant to her career, quite the contrary, but for people who may not read anything about Plisetskaya beyond this piece, it would have been nice to talk more about the artist.

Not much of an obit. Nothing but political point-making. Not that politics are irrelevant to her career, quite the contrary, but for people who may not read anything about Plisetskaya beyond this piece, it would have been nice to talk more about the artist.

Just read it...I learned some things about her I didn't know, but it was still a disappointing--that is, I think, an inadequate--obituary. No mention of any of her major roles -- the ones she danced at the height of her career. (Okay Carmen got mentioned, but only because it fit the 'political' theme of the article); no attempt to try to describe her (unique) qualities as a dancer or her influence on the art form.

(I don't know when this was written, but it might also have been updated to note that she played an acknowledged part in the career of today's leading (or "one of today's leading...") ballet choreographers, Alexei Ratmansky. Still, I allow that's not a major part of her career--Kitri on the other hand...)

Just read it...I learned some things about her I didn't know, but it was still a disappointing--that is, I think, an inadequate--obituary. No mention of any of her major roles -- the ones she danced at the height of her career. (Okay Carmen got mentioned, but only because it fit the 'political' theme of the article); no attempt to try to describe her (unique) qualities as a dancer or her influence on the art form.

(I don't know when this was written, but it might also have been updated to note that she played an acknowledged part in the career of today's leading (or "one of today's leading...") ballet choreographers, Alexei Ratmansky. Still, I allow that's not a major part of her career--Kitri on the other hand...)

Dirac, on 03 May 2015 - 08:42 AM, said:snapback.png

Drew and Dirac,

I completely agree - as an obituary for an artist like Maya, it's rather lacking. I was truly disappointed in the obit.

May the glorious Maya Plisetskaya rest in eternal peace. I was fortunate to see her in Swan Lake when my Mom took me as a child to see the Bolshoi, as well as The Dying Swan several memorable times. She was/is unforgettable.

I've been so sad all day over the passing of Maya Plisetskaya, keeping her in my thoughts and close to my heart. My husband just played this for me and I would like to share it with you all. Mstislav Rostropovich would play this Bach Sarabande for friends and other folk to comfort them and give them solace in times of sorrow.

https://youtu.be/ZXnujMPt30Q

I understand the obits at the NYT and other papers are written in advance for prominent people who are advanced in years. Maybe this was one of them. It also wasn't written by any of the paper's dance writers. Given Plisetskaya's stature, I hope there will be an appreciation to follow that takes a more complete and thoughtful approach.

Apparently Plisetskaya requested that her ashes be scattered over Russia with those of her husband, when the time comes. Very appropriate, I think.

Bolshoi director Vladimir Urin said Plisetskaya left instructions for her to be cremated and, after the death of her husband, the composer Rodion Shchedrin, for the ashes to be joined together and spread over Russia.

Thanks, Dirac. These latest reports from Munich (the Shchedrins' home) also note that there will be a small private memorial service in the German city.

So...no big funeral or service in Moscow??? Nothing like Ulanova, Maximova, Semenova and other greats received? Now THIS is sad for Maya's huge army of fans and admirers who wish to display their grief but the Shchedrins' wishes must be respected. Maybe the Bolshoi will hold a tribute of some sort later this year, to allow us to grieve together in a public manner.

I agree Natalia. Maya Mikhailovna Plisetskaya, one of the Prima Ballerina Assolutas of Russia, was so influential in so many

roles, but most especially as Odette/Odile and the Dying Swan. May she rest in peace.

Also Kitri, Cygnet. Plisetskaya absolutely revolutionized the role of Kitri with the high stag jetes with foot touching back of head in the A1 solo and other now-standard moves. See films of Lepeshinskaya, Karalli, and other Bolshoi primas dancing this in 20s/30s/40s...Kitri was a different gal before Maya.

Also Kitri, Cygnet. Plisetskaya absolutely revolutionized the role of Kitri with the high stag jetes with foot touching back of head in the A1 solo and other now-standard tricks. See films of Lepeshinskaya, Caralli and other Bolshoi primas dancing this in 20s/30s/40s...Kitri was a different gal before Maya.

Thank you, Natalia, for the suggestions and I agree - Maya was so incredible as Kitri! Her dancing is very masculine and those jetes! Just thrilling.

Masculine power but with a flirty feminine style. Ditto her Laurencia. Not just the technique but such a Spanish señorita in nuances and the rest...Ole! It's no wonder that Spanish dance fans took to her and she to them, with dual Spanish and Russian citizenship.

Masculine power but with a flirty feminine style. Ditto her Laurencia. Not just the technique but such a Spanish señorita in nuances and the rest...Ole! It's no wonder that Spanish dance fans took to her and she to them, with dual Spanish and Russian citizenship.

Yes! And I love Ms.Maya's Laurencia! Many wonderful comments and accolades coming in. Please see Washington Post obituary - I read it today and I think it's a better obituary than the NYT. .