This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2016 Season Announcement - almost

The "young superstar" sounds like Peck. Does he have enough material to create a new piece for SFB? He's already scheduled to create two new pieces for the New York City Ballet and one new piece for the Paris Opera Ballet in 2015-16. And he'll be restaging older pieces for the NYCB, the POB and the Pennsylvania Ballet.

And he'll be restaging older pieces for the NYCB, the POB and the Pennsylvania Ballet.

And Pacific Northwest Ballet -- we're getting Year of the Rabbit (as are a couple other companies, if I remember correctly -- it's becoming his calling card)

I agree that Neumeier, Kylián, and van Manen probably qualify in the legend department -- what have they made that has been the exclusive property of the POB so far?

I think we already mentioned Dame aux Camelias, but Neumeier's Sylvia would be interesting too - I don't think that's been done outside of POB, except at Hamburg ballet. Sofiane Sylve as the goddess Diana would be worth standing in line for. ;)

But if the critieria is a ballet that has never been done anywhere except at POB, that makes an interesting Jeopardy question. And ballets that don't circulate are rarely that great, so I don't know how excited I should be about that.

Ek's Apartment is also performed by Jose Martinez's company in Madrid. Grigorovich's Ivan the Terrible was created for the Bolshoi in 1975. His Romeo and Juliet was first performed by the POB, but it was never their exclusive property. Since most of Neumeier's ballets have been performed by his own company, I think that would leave only the new Song of the Earth.

"Apartment" is also in the Bolshoi's repertoire. Although "Ivan the Terrible" was created for the Bolshoi, the POB is the only "outside" company that performed it. Considering Possokhov's ties to the Bolshoi and the fact that he's currently creating a full-length ballet there I still find "Ivan" to be a possibility. I personally would welcome it.

Grigorovich chose Mathilde Froustey to dance the lead in Ivan the Terrible early on when she joined POB and she danced it also as a guest with the Bolshoi. Grigorovich certainly is a living legend, regardless how you may feel about his choreography.

I would be surprised if any American company took a chance on Grigorovich given that there probably isn't a major critic in the country who doesn't regard his ballets with undisguised disdain. And the fact remains that none of his works is the exclusive domain of the Paris Opera Ballet, which doesn't fit with SFB's description. Looking into the Paris Opera's online archive, I see that the only ballet by Hans van Manen it has performed over the past 30 years is Grosse Fuge, which certainly is performed by the Dutch National Ballet also. I'm guessing Forsythe is a likelier candidate.

California, on 15 Apr 2015 - 07:26 AM, said:

Do we know when SFB will actually announce their 2016 schedule? What has been the practice in the past?

If memory serves, it's usually early to mid-April, so about now. However, as noted in the first post of this thread, subscribers got an email saying: "We are working out the final details for our 2016 Repertory Season..." I wonder if they anticipated the fevered speculation that would result from those tantalizing hints?

mussel, on 15 Apr 2015 - 07:11 AM, said:

RB just announced 2015/16, Scarlett's new full length Frankenstein is co-production with SFB, it'll premier on 5/4/16, so I assume it'll be part of 2017 season: http://www.roh.org.u...y-liam-scarlett

Frankenstein, The Ballet. Hmmmm. I can see Dracula as a ballet (it's been done at other companies, I believe; and wasn't there a Dracula movie with ballet some years ago?), but a full-length Frankenstein. Should be interesting. Has Scarlett done any story ballets?

Added: don't know what's wrong but all the editing tools (quotes, etc) are grayed out.

I'm not sure Jean-Guillaume Bart counts as a, "Living legend," but La Source would probably be a nice choice for the SF dancers. Among living legends, the first ballets that comes to mind are Pierre Lacotte's Paquita or La Sylphide. Joffrey is performing Sylvia this fall.

The Joffrey is doing the John Neumeier Sylvia next season, but it's also in the repertory of the Hamburg Ballet, so it's already disqualified.

This is just getting more and more mysterious -- any idea when the company will actually announce what they're doing?

It is taking the SFB unusually long this year to announce its next season. By this time last year I already had my subscription. But as of today I have not received any communication from the company about the renewal. The excitement is building up. Hopefully the SFB won't disappoint. I would like them to take a risk and come up with unusual programming. Ubiquitous Wheeldon, Scarlett, Ratmansky are getting too redundant for my taste, although I love them all. But with these choreographers having presence at every major ballet company I am ready to see a new name. I know that "Swimmer" is returning next year; Maria Kochetkova mentioned it in her Twitter.

Well, the wait is over. I just received an email from the company about the 2016 season. The work by a living legend is Forsythe's Pas/Parts. The best-loved story ballet is Swan Lake. Other full-length ballets returning next season are Coppelia and Onegin. A young superstar making his first work for SFB is Justin Peck. For the overview of the season follow the link below:

https://d2ypq1gviimup.cloudfront.net/res/pdfs/seasonbrochures/2016_Season_Overview_Renewal.pdf?utm_source=mail2&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=15RenewalSubsNOPSPMKTG

Thanks for letting us know - for some reason I haven't received this email yet. Perhaps because I didn't donate any extra money yet. ?

I'm not crazy about the Swan Lake inclusion - there are just so many other harder to see ballets that deserve a chance. Ah well.

I may go to the overlaps of Programs 4 & 5, and 7 & 8.

If anyone has firsthand experience of any of the lesser known ballets listed, I think we would all like to hear about it.

Did the "American premiere of a work by a living legend that has only ever been performed by the Paris Opera Ballet" fall through?

Would love it if the Peck, Ratmansky premieres and maybe Wheeldon "Carousel" or his short NYCB verson of "American in Paris" were on one program. Or else the first two with "Rubies."

Overall the season prospectus doesn't seem to break any new ground or bring back deserving classics – as with Shostakovich Triology last season or Liebeslieder a few years back.

Did the "American premiere of a work by a living legend that has only ever been performed by the Paris Opera Ballet" fall through?

Would love it if the Peck, Ratmansky premieres and maybe Wheeldon "Carousel" or his short NYCB verson of "American in Paris" were on one program. Or else the first two with "Rubies."

Overall the season prospectus doesn't seem to break any new ground or bring back deserving classics – as with Shostakovich Triology last season or Liebeslieder a few years back.

Isn't the Forsythe the 'living legend...Paris Opera...' etc?

Agree this isn't a terribly exciting season, but I am glad to see Dances at a Gathering again, as well as Drink to me... .

So, is Peck a 'superstar' dancer or a 'superstar' choreographer? He seems pretty young to be either.

The term "superstar" is definitely overkill here - maybe someday - but Peck is certainly a man of the moment.

I tend to agree with Quiggin and PeggyR that the 2016 season isn't as exciting as it could be. Replacing Swan Lake with a mixed program of Symphony #9 and Liebeslieder, and a section of American in Paris sounds good to me.

Isn't the Forsythe the 'living legend...Paris Opera...' etc?

So, is Peck a 'superstar' dancer or a 'superstar' choreographer? He seems pretty young to be either.

For some reason I thought it was full length, therefore the new Neumeier Mahler or maybe Lost Illusions.

Justin Peck's not a superstar in either case and it does sound superficial, but he does seem to be making clear, intelligent, completely contemporary work. Taylor Stanley in his new NYCB interview says that the audience's reaction of Peck's Everywhere We Go was "the craziest" he's ever heard. Here's a clip of Stanley in a group of five from Peck's Rodeo.

http://www.nycballet.com/ballets/r/rodeo-four-dance-episodes-new-copland-peck.aspx