This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Swan Lake, April 8-12, 2015

I'm sure there will be a part of the audience who are there because Copeland is African American. For some, it's a cultural milestone; for some it's a curiosity; for some it's a landmark in the art form.

Nicely put.

My friend and I had invites to super for Washington Ballet's Swan Lake, but we couldn't make the rehearsals. What messed us up were the extra stage rehearsals this week for Xiomara Reyes and Julie Kent. We were also supers for ABT's Cinderella. I guess I will be watching NYCB next month instead of WB.

. I guess I will be watching NYCB next month instead of WB.

I'm sorry it sounds like you're disappointed but NYCB is bringing its best dancers : Bouder. Tiler Peck, Vyette, Huxley, Kowrowski, Sara, Amar, De Luz. Just about everyone but Ulbricht. Also great rep.

StubHub came through and I received my ticket to Misty & Brooklyn's (or "Misty & Mack"?) first performance next week. I won't divulge exactly how high the ticket was marked up...I usually pay such marked-up prices only for the NHL Stanley Cup tournaments.

StubHub came through and I received my ticket to Misty & Brooklyn's (or "Misty & Mack"?) first performance next week. I won't divulge exactly how high the ticket was marked up...I usually pay such marked-up prices only for the NHL Stanley Cup tournaments.

I don't know how high your mark-up was, but I have used StubHub myself to sell tickets when I have been too far away to handle any transactions personally. StubHub takes 15% of a seller's asking price as a commission, and the price the buyer pays is 15% higher than what the seller is asking. Part of the latter covers the cost of express shipping. So even if a seller is seeking only to recoup his costs, the buyer will end up paying at least 30% more than the face value of the ticket. If the seller wants to recoup any services charges he paid, and at some venues the charges for tickets bought online can be particularly high, that will raise the price further.

It goes without saying that some sellers do jack up prices very high if they sense the demand is great, and they see an opportunity to make a handsome profit.

If the seller wants to recoup any services charges he paid, and at some venues the charges for tickets bought online can be particularly high, that will raise the price further.

That's what I did for Olympics tickets: take what I paid and add back the service charge for selling. Maybe this was the reason single tickets were so much more expensive than pairs. I would buy a pair at the lower per ticket price and immediately put one of them back up for sale. Usually my price was a little lower that the other singlets, and I don't think I ever had a ticket up for more than 48 hours. Most were snatched up within an hour.

Tickets are available on the Kennedy Center website for Misty Copeland's performances . She was enchanting as autumn fairy in ABT Cinderella. $215 is fine for a divertissement program where I am assured of my favorites [or people I want to see] dancing. With Bayadere there's Nikiya/Gamzatti/Solor/Golden Idol/shades variations....

Tickets are available on the Kennedy Center website for Misty Copeland's performances . She was enchanting as autumn fairy in ABT Cinderella. $215 is fine for a divertissement program where I am assured of my favorites [or people I want to see] dancing. With Bayadere there's Nikiya/Gamzatti/Solor/Golden Idol/shades variations....

Ha! April Fool joke, maps. Both shows still Sold Out, with patrons directed to the same old WB telephone number.

The availability situation can change at any minute. Tickets can be donated back for resale up until the performance if the original purchaser decides not to attend and doesn't want to go through the hassle of reselling, despite the potential profit, or tracking down some one to give them to.

I just noticed 4 balcony/far side seats now avail for the Thurs, April 9 premiere...at $210 each. So the Kennedy Center site has marked-up the tix too. So I didn't pay that much more and mine is center balcony...row B and smack-dab in the middle. It appears that everyone's playing this flexible-pricing game.

Just five (5) days to go before the big premiere. Funny that NYCB will also be at the KC this week - and I'm attending the openings of both of their programs, on Tues and Wed, respectively - yet all of my personal excitement is focused on TWB and Misty Copeland.

TWB has uploaded on their YouTube channel three little films of stager Kirk Peterson discussing this version of SWAN LAKE. He is restoring a lot of the 1895 mime and other elements. We see him combing through notebooks full of clippings and scribblings...but no mention of visiting the Sergeyev notes in Harvard. He says that he has rethought the ballet since his earlier version for Alberta Ballet, which someone described above. However, some of the national dances will still be excised, though he doesn't specify which. (Didn't Makarova also remove the national dances when she staged SL for London Festival Ballet in the mid-80s?)

Another reason for my excitement: How this company has changed - IMO, for the better - since I first got to know them as a small-scaled chamber troupe that seemed to pooh-pooh the classics (other than the annual NUTCRACKER) in favor of small Euro-intellectual works by Dutch choreographers. To me, this SWAN LAKE should cap the 20-year transformation. My heart dances to see what's become of this company...while tipping my hat to Ms Day and the other pioneers, without whom this enterprise would not exist.

(Didn't Makarova also remove the national dances when she staged SL for London Festival Ballet in the mid-80s?)

Makarova used only Ashton's Neapolitan dance and gave the male part to Benno. She also cut the pas de trois from Act 1 and replaced it with the pas de quatre Ashton choreographed for Act 3.

Makarova also greatly lengthened the entrance of the fiancees...went on forever, using all of the music that Tchaikovsky composed for the prospective brides.

Whenever I see a new production of SL, I look forward to noting what's new or unique about it. Apparently, for DC, Peterson has rethought his initial version for Alberta. Let's see what he's done.

Like Natalia, I am very much looking forward to this big production to see what Washington Ballet does with it.

My tickets are for Wednesday night and I have NYCB tix for Thursday, so probably no Misty'n'Mack for me.

Has anyone seen any information about who else will be dancing the principal roles at the other performances?

It seems odd (and rather a slight to the others) that the information seems to be unavailable.

Well, yes, Maki Onuki is certainly a likely candidate--she shows up in some of the videos. But still--I am surprised and somewhat disappointed on behalf of the other principal casts that the focus is so concentrated on the Misty'n'Mack casting.

Just two days before the official premiere on Thurs (Misty'n'Mack) and one day before tomorrow's preview show (with ???). Beside Thurs, I'm going to Sat night's show and would love to know who I'll be seeing in the leading roles. Just because I paid 'only' a rock-bottom price of $155 for that one doesn't mean that it's not worthy of publicizing the names of the leads.

Besides Maki Onuki, Aurora Dickie was shown as Odette in some of the early vids and posters. Sona Kharatian is a lovely long-limbed soloist so maybe we'll see her? I'm guessing that Jonathan Jordan and Jared Nelson may be other Siegfrieds, besides Mack?

Thanks. Looking good. Unusual choreography for the 2nd pass of Black Swan pdd...more demure than what's usually danced.

I notice that WB is auctioning some SL posters tomorrow at noon. Three posters with three sets of leading pairs: Misty-Mack; Maki Onuki with (I think) Jonathan Jordan; and Aurora Dickie with Tamas Krisza (???).