This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

In a week's time the Royal Ballet's production of Swan Lake, with Natalia Osipova as Odette-Odile, Matthew Golding as Siegfried and Gary Avis as Rothbart will be screening live in cinemas.

http://www.roh.org.uk/showings/swan-lake-live-2015

International screening dates are staggered.

Participating cinemas in Europe will be showing the ballet live on Tuesday, March 17 at 7:15 pm GMT.

Japan: Wednesday, March 18 at 7:00 p.m. local time.

U.S.: Thursday, March 19 at 7:00 p.m. local time

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/roh1415-swan-lake
http://www.carmike.com/Events/Event/393

Canada: Saturday, April 18 & Monday, April 27

http://www.landmarkcinemas.com/en.aspx

Brazil: April 23, 25, 26, 28

South Africa: May 2, 3, 6, 7
http://www.cinemanouveau.co.za

Australia: May 8, 9, 10, 13

http://www.palaceoperaandballet.com.au/production/swan-lake

It will also be screened in a number of countries of Central and South America on May 16, 17 & 19.

The Royal Opera House cinema season link at the top includes a screening search box to find the showing closest to you.

The Royal Ballet has posted synopses/cast sheets in several languages as PDFs. (They do appear to have confused Kiswahili and Swedish.) The casting is not very detailed, but there is a bit more information.

Siegfried's Mother - Elizabeth McGorian
Siegfried's Tutor - Alastair Marriott

Benno - Valeri Hristov Ryoichi Hirano
pas de trois - Francesca Hayward, Yuhui Choe, Alexander Campbell
cygnets - Francesca Hayward, Meaghan Grace Hinkis, Emma Maguire, Yasmine Naghdi

big swans - Melissa Hamilton, Itziar Mendizabal

not all the Landmark cinemas in Canada are showing this. These are the ones:

Alberta

British Columbia

Landmark Cinemas 6 Esplanade North Vancouver http://www.landmarkcinemas.com/north-vancouver-esplanade

Vancity Theatre – Vancouver International Film Centre, Vancouver http://viff.org/theatre/series/the-royal-opera-house-presents

Manitoba

Newfoundland, New Brunswick & Nova Scotia

Coming Soon!

Ontario

Landmark Cinemas 24 IMAX Whitby http://www.landmarkcinemas.com/whitby/experiences/experiences-detail?event=ROHWhitby

also showing at:

1. Regina Public Library, Regina, SK - May 10

2. The Loft at Harden and Huyse Cafe, Cobourg, ON - TBC

3. Royal Theatre, Trail, BC - April 26

4. Bloor Cinema Toronto? TBC

There are some additional Landmark locations in Canada:

Alberta - Spruce Grove (April 18 only)
BC - Campbell River (April 18 only), Courtenay (April 18 only), Penticton, Surrey
Yukon - Whitehorse (Qwanlin; April 18 only)

As far as I can tell, UBC is showing the Royal Opera, but not the Royal Ballet, and the Vancouver International Film Centre has not shown any of this season's productions.

sheesh if they would make it a little easier to find out where it is and isn't being shown, maybe they would get more people to go!

The information I had was from the Canadian distributor.

But apparently their agreement with the ROH has collapsed, just as Cineplex's did earlier this year, so it will all start again from scratch next year. Very frustrating.

Well, if the distributor doesn't know where it's screening, I don't know what to say. Start from scratch? Where else are they going to go? Cineplex and Landmark are basically the only chains on the Canadian market. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I haven't seen a lot of collaboration with local ballet companies. The distributor provides a pair of free tickets to every Shakespeare's Globe screening, and my local Shakespeare festival happily gives them away and promotes each screening. No such signs of life on the ballet or opera front. But perhaps a good turnout for Swan Lake will change things.

A reminder: Fathom Events is presenting Royal Ballet's Swan Lake in theatres this March 19th, and La Fille Mal Gardee on April 5th (at least in the U.S.)

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/the-royal-ballet-season-2014-15/more-info/201415-royal-ballet-cinema-season

It looks like one has to click "Buy Tickets" in order to find out the actual theatres scheduling the presentations...

The Royal Ballet La Fille mal gardée May 5 2015 tiphat.gif

The Royal Ballet has also posted more casting, although not all the roles are accounted for, presumably because many of the women performed multiple parts. But we now know that the csardas was led by Claire Calvert and Bennet Gartside, and that Laura Morera and Ricardo Cervera did Ashton's Neapolitan dance. (They seem to hold a patent on that one.)

http://www.roh.org.uk/showings/swan-lake-live-2015

Odette/Odile Natalia Osipova

Prince Siegfried Matthew Golding

Rothbart Gary Avis

Regent Elizabeth McGorian
Tutor Alastair Marriott
Benno Ryoichi Hirano
Pas de trois Francesca Hayward, Yuhui Choe, Alexander Campbell
Chaperones Tara-Brigitte Bhavnani, Nathalie Harrison
General Erico Montes
Young Girls Emily-Rose Holland, Manon Forsell Pyk
Waltz Christina Arestis, Fumi Kaneko, Kristen McNally, Beatriz Stix-Brunell, Sander Blommaert, Tristan Dyer, Ryoichi Hirano, Fernando Montaño, Emma Maguire, Paul Kay
Cygnets Francesca Hayward, Meaghan Grace Hinkis, Emma Maguire, Yasmine Naghdi
Big Swans Melissa Hamilton, Itziar Mendizabal
Lord Chamberlain Erico Montes
Princesses Tara-Brigitte Bhavnani, Olivia Cowley, Nathalie Harrison, Mayara Magri, Yasmine Naghdi, Beatriz Stix-Brunell
Spanish dance Christina Arestis, Kristen McNally, Kevin Emerton, Thomas Whitehead
Csárdás Claire Calvert, Bennet Gartside
Neapolitan dance Laura Morera, Ricardo Cervera
Mazurka Jacqueline Clark, Sian Murphy, Demelza Parish, Lara Turk, Sander Blommaert, Nicol Edmonds, Fernando Montaño, Donald Thom

If not for Osipova, I would not like go to see ROH's Swan Lake again tonight. Someone may enlighten me about what is good, what to see in ROH's Swan Lake.

In general I didn't like ROH's Shakespearized classical ballets. In the Act I of Giselle ROH's noblemen costumes were all in Henry VIII fashion style. However, the music is not. So, it made me feel odd. They made the scene in Act I of Swan Lake look like a market, similar to the Act I in Romeo & Juliet. Even worse, ROH's swans all wore the rag-decorated skirts. I have never seen a living swan's feather in a such terrible mess.

Plus, they used too much close-up shots in HD ballet. Probably, the British thought they knew drama well. But, only few ballet dancers have convinced face expressions. They have better show us the integrated dancing.

Maybe, what I wrote above is too negative? However, I just want to know if I missed something in ROH's classical ballets, they were really great?

innocent.gif

In the Act I of Giselle ROH's noblemen costumes were all in Henry VIII fashion style. However, the music is not. So, it made me feel odd.

Then the Royal Ballet's Swan Lake should suit you very well, since the designer insisted on setting the ballet in the late 19th century, when the music was composed. (Personally, I am against the idea and I detest Yolanda Sonnabend's designs; they're almost as ugly as Simon Virsaladze's.) I'm curious. Does this mean you think Romeo and Juliet should be dressed in mid-20th century costumes to reflect Prokofiev's score? I'm also curious about which of the Royal Ballet's Shakespeare ballets you dislike, because they have been choreographed variously by Ashton, MacMillan and Wheeldon, and there is no uniformity in approach among them.

Alastair Macaulay does not like the 19th-century setting of the Royal Ballet's production, but in his review for the NYT he enumerates what he sees as the production's virtues where choreography and mime are concerned. I do not like the production as much as he does, but I do agree that choreography and dramatic coherence are more important than production design. (There is always a faint hope that bad designs will be replaced. A bad staging is much harder to fix.) Traditionally the Royal Ballet's productions are notable for their dramatic integrity.

Then the Royal Ballet's Swan Lake should suit you very well, since the designer insisted on setting the ballet in the late 19th century, when the music was composed. (Personally, I am against the idea and I detest Yolanda Sonnabend's designs; they're almost as ugly as Simon Virsaladze's.)

No, I don't like ROH's Swan Lake that I saw last time in HD theater, that's ugly and messy. I could not figure out what is wrong, the rustic costumes? the corp dancing? the camera work? the civic & snazzy style? or, simply I didn't get it?

Prokofiev's ballet musics are very special. His Romeo and Juliet is modern and full of medieval pressure. So far, all three Romeo & Juliet ballets by Lavrovsky, Grigorovich and MacMillan are fine to me, though I like Lavrovsky-Ulanova's best. Prokofiev's Cinderella is modern and fairy-tale. From visual arts point of view, no any other visual arts of Cinderella can surpass the 2-D cartoon movie, Walt Disney's Cinderella. Among many Cinderella ballets, only Ratmansky's Grand Waltz for Cinderella and Prince in Act II, as well as the step-mother can compete.

MacMillan's Manon, Mayerling are modern Shakespeare dramas, they are very heavy and theatrical. I like Ashton's ballets that are clean, straight forward, not obscure, especially, his La fille mal gardée, Marguerite and Armand.

I have not seen many ROH's ballets, and never seen them in theaters. "Alastair Macaulay does not like the 19th-century setting of the Royal Ballet's production," I could agree with him on that, though, I always like ballets to be integrated visual arts to inspire people's feeling and imagination.

thanks.GIF

Just back from the US cinemas showing. She can dance the steps and one can see that she's really REALLY TRYING but, sorry, Natalia Osipova has zero 'poetry' for me. Great athlete but her body doesn't "sing."

Matthew Golding provided capable support and some wonderful solo dancing...although it was tough to see the details of his legwork, wearing dark tights against the horribly dark backdrop. What he needs are some acting lessons...I wanted to see something other than his usual open-mouthed "look of awe."

The pas de trois ladies (Misses Choe and Hayward) both made mistakes in their solos but the man (Alexander Campbell) was sharp and exciting.

The national dances could not truly be enjoyed with those dark costumes against the dark ballroom; nonetheless, I adored the zippy Neapolitan couple (to Ashton's choreography)...Laura Morera and Ricardo Cervera.

Kudos to the lyrical and uniform corps of swans, including the eight student girls. I hope that next production of this ballet at ROH maintains the child swans and other 1895 segments of the choreography.

Just back from the US cinemas showing. She can dance the steps and one can see that she's really REALLY TRYING but, sorry, Natalia Osipova has zero 'poetry' for me. Great athlete but her body doesn't "sing."/quote]

Agreed Natalia! I was very disappointed. I thought Osipova was really pretty bad until the final act. In the lakeside scene she looked completely emotionally disengaged. I felt I could hear her just thinking through the steps. I felt nothing. Even the Black Swan seemed forced to me. Her fouettes in particular looked very frantic, turned in and done in an obviously "how fast can I do these" manner. And,again, until the end, she and Golding had zero chemistry.

I disliked the whole production. I can't believe it, but I like ABT's version better. The best I can say is that it is better than the Grigorovich version. Not saying much.

Just got back from a screening.

The first act wasn't my favorite and Campbell was the best part about it.

I love Osipova but I didn't enjoy her second act Odette as much as some. However, I thought she projected the image well and her movements were sublime.

Osipova's black swan however was like a decadent chocolate dessert. She's better at Odile than Odette.

I love the staging for act 3 except for that dark backdrop. The mocking that was done by Rothbart and his minions at the end was a good bit of theatrics and made the ending one memorable.

Act 4 was moving and the corpse was incredible.

Better than last time, I could finally get into the drama when Odette, Siegfried and Rothbart danced pas de trois in the last few minutes of Act 4. The scene design just distracted me too much. The stage is small, even worse, it is cut by the stage set and left half for dancing. That made Osipova and Golding, both are super sporty dancers, seemed to dance in a cage.

I was disappointed. From the middle of the show I couldn't help thinking of Krysanova and Hallberg's Swan Lake I saw last summer in N.Y., which was much better in both technique and performance. I didn't see Osipova Magic tonight like her in Flames of Paris, Don Quixote, and her debut of Giselle.

I was very disappointed. Osipova was not expressive. Her port de bras needs a lot of work. I didn't see much movement of her spine either. Act III was her best act. Not much real chemistry with her partner either. I left after Act III. A little surprised they decided to broadcast this performance to the world. She needs a few years and quite a bit more coaching in this role.

I disliked the whole production. I can't believe it, but I like ABT's version better. The best I can say is that it is better than the Grigorovich version. Not saying much.

A perfect production of Swan Lake is as elusive as the Holy Grail. At this point I would settle for a decent production. wallbash.gif

A little surprised they decided to broadcast this performance to the world. She needs a few years and quite a bit more coaching in this role.

More than that, they intend to put it on DVD. I guess Osipova sells, and that's what matters. wallbash.gif

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/swan-lake-starring-natalia-osipova-and-matthew-golding-to-be-released-on-dvd