This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky's Raymonda To the KC in Feb 2016

CubanMiamiBoy said a lot of what I would say about last night's Raymonda. It was like night and day. Kondaurova was much better than Skorik. It underscores just how much Skorik is being pushed (she dances more roles than most, she gets opening night, she's been the only one to have her promotion announced on stage, etc.) Fateyev continues to push her down our throats and she's mediocre at best. She's no longer messing up right and left so she is technically okay but the poor audiences who think her dancing and acting represents the best of the Mariinsky!!!

"Technically okay" is not good enough when this is the first time many (MOST) of the American audience will have seen Raymonda. This role is one of the most difficult in the ballerina's repertoire, and it should have been entrusted to a ballerina who could deliver technique, style, and true Mariinsky ballerina quality. Yes, Skorik has improved technically to some extent, but still has inherent weaknesses and lack of artistry: it seems she has not improved since I saw her debut in this role. A great shame for the audience and for all Mariinsky fans.

Well, I am not defending Skorik by any means but the Mariinsky ballerinas show off their extensions. It is part of their style now. They do not aim for Petipa reconstruction dancing even though that is what balletomanes seem to want nowadays but even a bio on Alicia Alonso said dancers have always used their full extension.

Finally located my ballet alert password! So great to see so many ballet alert friends in DC including Birdsall, cubanmiamiboy, nysusan and Natalia. Sorry I missed you liotarded. Guess who just sat across from me and mr. Abatt at breakfast. None other than Yuri Fateyev himself. We just said hello and how much we enjoy the Mariinsky. He was pleasant and thanked us for supporting the Mariinsky.

if I had the guts, I would have asked him why Skorik was cast on opening night. I echo much of what was said above. Skorik was disappointing. Kondaurova was terrific. Everything was better last night, including the orchestra.

I love the Mariinsky Raymonda production and began my Mariinsky marathon with open rehearsal. 2016 marks the 30 year anniversary since I first saw the Kirov. The DC area community is grateful that Yuri Fatayev always begins the public Kennedy Center Mariinsky run with an open rehearsal. Many artistic directors of other KC annually booked companies do not - no ABT, no NYCB. This run had Tier 1 open plus school groups in Tier 2. At least 1 senior citizen group always comes to this event.

Within the past year other companies with open rehearsal included Suzanne Farrell [recent production with Emeralds] and the Royal Ballet's Don Q [Acosta production with Salenko-Macrae]. The opera house lobby has the glass display case where companies can place costumes for public close-up views. It is very thoughtful that The Mariinsky always has them in place by Open Rehearsal when some companies do not even bother with a display during the show. ABT never put out any of it's highly touted reconstruction SB costumes or wigs.

Edited by maps

I love the Mariinsky Raymonda production and began my Mariinsky marathon with open rehearsal. 2016 marks the 30 year anniversary since I first saw the Kirov. The DC area community is grateful that Yuri Fatayev always begins the public Kennedy Center Mariinsky run with an open rehearsal. Many artistic directors of other KC annually booked companies do not - no ABT, no NYCB. This run had Tier 1 open plus school groups in Tier 2. At least 1 senior citizen group always comes to this event.

Within the past year other companies with open rehearsal included Suzanne Farrell [recent production with Emeralds] and the Royal Ballet's Don Q [Acosta production with Salenko-Macrae]. The opera house lobby has the glass display case where companies can place costumes for public close-up views. It is very thoughtful that The Mariinsky always has them in place by Open Rehearsal when some companies do not even bother with a display during the show. ABT never put out any of it's highly touted reconstruction SB costumes or wigs.

ABT did have a rehearsal open for SB week. Not sure if it was open to the entire public, or just to ABT members, but I was emailed an invitation (I am a member).

Last night's Raymonda was my first of this run so I can't compare it to opening night, but I concur with all the other posters (and great to see you all!) that Kondaurova was fantastic. I thought she'd make a great Raymonda and I'm glad I was right. Her clapping variation was tremendous, she really made the most of it.

There is not much dancing for Jean de Brienne in this version, his main job is partnering and for me, Korsuntsev is the Mariinsky's best partner. He's also the only on on this tour who actually relates to his partner so I'm glad Kondaurova got him!

The night's Clemence was Yekaterina Chebykina. She does a long adagio solo in the second act and she did it just beautifully with long, spun out lines and perfect control.

Ernest Latypov was one of our 2 troubadours in addition to dancing in the 3rd act male variation. He is my favorite of the up and coming men but I also really loved the other Troubadour Evgeny Konovalov. He was slightly taller with beautiful stretched lines.

All in all a great night and now I am looking forward to Kolegova

That was an ABT invite perhaps relative to subscriber benefits not the Kennedy Center booking.

FYI, I am not a subscriber. I believe it was a member's benefit (two free dress rehearsal passes).

Based off of all the wonderful reviews of Kondaurova, I'm wondering if I should stay for Saturday night's performance. Just not sure I want to make the 3 hour trek back to Philly at 10 pm though (although at least I wouldn't hit much traffic on 95)

Last night's Raymonda was my first of this run so I can't compare it to opening night, but I concur with all the other posters (and great to see you all!) that Kondaurova was fantastic. I thought she'd make a great Raymonda and I'm glad I was right. Her clapping variation was tremendous, she really made the most of it.

There is not much dancing for Jean de Brienne in this version, his main job is partnering and for me, Korsuntsev is the Mariinsky's best partner. He's also the only on on this tour who actually relates to his partner so I'm glad Kondaurova got him!

The night's Clemence was Yekaterina Chebykina. She does a long adagio solo in the second act and she did it just beautifully with long, spun out lines and perfect control.

Ernest Latypov was one of our 2 troubadours in addition to dancing in the 3rd act male variation. He is my favorite of the up and coming men but I also really loved the other Troubadour Evgeny Konovalov. He was slightly taller with beautiful stretched lines.

All in all a great night and now I am looking forward to Kolegova

Very glad to hear about Yekaterina Chebykina. I like her very much, although in the several Costa Mesa performances, for me, Oxana Skorik in two performances did eclipse everyone with the artistic fineness (no mistakes that I noticed) of her dancing except for Kristina Shapran’s vey brief appearance.

So glad to hear that Yekaterina Kondaurova did so well. I always appreciate Danila Korsuntsev very much. Anastasia Kolegova should be technically outstanding (watch for her cambre(?) backbends), and delightful.

There must be "the curse of the sautees in pointe" against the Russian ballerinas. Kolegova fell off pointe during her series of sautees tonight.

There were a few minor bobbles - she listed off center several times during supported pirouettes but of course her partners reeled her in and those killer lifts that looked so effortless with K/K looked a bit effortful with K/I. She's also not a natural adagio dancer like Big Red, but those are minor quibbles. Her technique was more than strong enough for the role and she was charming and vivacious.

Kolegova is normally technically immaculate but she did have a couple of slight mishaps falling off balance. However, she was in a daring mood and threw the veil, for example higher than I have seen in the past almost losing it at one point but catching it and hopping onto pointe for a couple of poses like the balance on one foot in the coda of Act 3. These small daring feats told me she was taking some risks and paid for them. She has to be the most beautiful ballerina in the world. She could turn a gay man straight, in my opinion. She is the sweet, delicate, and innocent Raymonda in Act 1 but commands the stage for the final variation.

Ivanchenko was more energetic than I have ever seen him which isn't saying much, but it was very nice to see him this way.

I think Smekalov is turning into the new Kuznetsov (giving all he has to Abderakhman).

Batoeva is a joy to see as Henrietta (yesterday she danced the Act 3 variation). Shapran is not quite up to Clemence and that ultra difficult adagio variation. She even had an unfortunate slip, although that happens to everyone, but I do feel she is being pushed into difficult roles before she is ready.

Petushkova and Kuzmin have been electric as the Spanish couple this run. Her back bends aren't quite as amazing as other dancers in that role but pretty amazing nevertheless. She is always extroverted in her dancing.

Sofia Ivanova-Skoblikova danced the Act 3 variation which I view as a "Mini-Raymonda." She is a talented dancer but her legs are rare even if this were Soviet times when Russian dancers were meatier. Huge muscular calves. I actually find it refreshing but I suspect it might limit her roles. It will be interesting to see.

It was so refreshing to see all four males land in 5th. There is usually one who messes up his landings.

Overall a fun night. The Kennedy Center Opera House Orchestra sounds better each night. I am hearing darker colors and less sour notes in the horn section. In their defense they might be new to this score.

I made it to the 2/25 (Thursday) performance. It was a bit of a mixed bag.

GOOD: The dancing was uniformly crisp and tasteful, as is the usual for Russian companies. Raymonda and the various variations babes turned in stellar performances. The costumes were great. The dancers seemed more committed to the story than the ABT dancers did for Sleeping Beauty.

NOT-SO-GOOD: The choreography for the primary male characters was pretty lackluster - well below the capabilities of dancers in an elite company. The first act is in serious need of editing. Not a lot happened during it. Too much prancing and posing. A few nice solos for Raymonda and a couple of variations babes, but the rest of the choreography in the 1st act was pretty basic. I kept waiting throughout the production for Abderakhman to take off on a power solo, but it never happened. No wonder that Raymonda preferred the other guy. Too many dances by characters who didn't have names.

I had a very bad day in a pretty bad week, so I forgot to check BA to see where other attendees were going to be hanging out :(.

Ivanchenko was more energetic than I have ever seen him which isn't saying much...

ROTFL! I hope that he recharges for the Saturday matinee. I sincerely want to be proven wrong about "Zombiechenko"!

About Sofia I-S/SIS: I noticed those physical attributes that you mentioned PLUS the shortish arms. She seems to be the current Mariinsky Go-To Gal for solos requiring petit batterie. I love her ultra-clear entrechats, for ex. Her face registers to the highest rafter, too. She may be a great candidate to dance the Pierina Legnani roles in reconstructions someday.

ROTFL! I hope that he recharges for the Saturday matinee. I sincerely want to be proven wrong about "Zombiechenko"!

About Sofia I-S/SIS: I noticed those physical attributes that you mentioned PLUS the shortish arms. She seems to be the current Mariinsky Go-To Gal for solos requiring petit batterie. I love her ultra-clear entrechats, for ex. Her face registers to the highest rafter, too. She may be a great candidate to dance the Pierina Legnani roles in reconstructions someday.

Don't get your hopes up too high Natalia, remember - it isn't saying much!

Ivanchenko was more energetic than I have ever seen him which isn't saying much, but it was very nice to see him this way.

Jean doesn't have much to do here but support Raymonda so it's a perfect role for Zombichenko! He is a big guy and a great partner so I was surprised that some of the lifts early on didn't look as easy as they did with Kondaurova/Korsuntsev. No disasters, they just weren't as smooth as I'd expected them to be.

Sofya is the entrechat queen of the company currently - few can do entrechat6, yet she does them with ease, and she has both ballon AND elevation to perform all those little petit allegro steps immaculately. Her sissones are fabulous and yes, she has strong legs, but if they give her that wonderful flight across the stage in jetes, then I am pleased she has them! She is a fabulous Diamond Fairy in Sleeping Beauty also.

Skorik showed a HUGE improvement tonight from opening night. I noticed she wore less makeup, so her face was less harsh and relaxed. She also smiled more both to the audience and to Askerov, and in general they showed much more chemistry than on Tuesday. She still looked pretty scared when she was lifted, looking down nervously, AND she still struggled to do the sautees on pointe-(she didn't fell off pointe, but did them on the same spot, or maybe advancing just a tiny bit..)

A couple of impressions on some performers from various performances.

Shapran. Less than perfect technique and stage projection. Unsteady during landings and with a face that look as if she is condemned to the guillotine.

A WONDERFUL Kirill Leontiev leading the czarda. Such great spirit and character!

Sofia Ivanova-Skoblikova and her wonderful technique and powerful calves. Brava!

I'm skipping Kolegova's matinee tomorrow-(didn't impress me that much..)-but back at Big Red's evening performance. Hell... she IS Raymonda!!

I thought Skorik was absolutely gorgeous tonight. That stunning arabesque line, the long legs and uber flexible torso and back served her well as Raymonda. Her face is not very expressive and that can be problematic in certain roles but not here, at least not for me. I think that's what some people are reading as fear, she does sometimes have a "deer in the headlights" look, but I think that's just her natural expression.

Askerov acquitted himself well. His variation was the best of the 3 but then again, he's probably 15 years younger than Korsuntsev & Ivanchenko!

And I've found a new favorite that I will look for from now on - Yekaterina Chebykina who once again KILLED Clemence's 2nd act adagio variation.

Very enjoyable to meet several fellow fans from BalletAlert at Kennedy Center this past evening. By sheer chance I was sitting next to NYSusan which was very nice. Unable to type at length but wanted to say that I, too, greatly enjoyed Skoryk's performance this evening. I gather there is plenty of agreement that Tuesday was...uh....not her best night. But this evening she danced beautifully and by the end, in the final grand pas, even at times with a kind of playful mastery. The harrowing Act II variation in the purple tutu had one or two moments when she.looked, just for a nanosecond, to have to catch herself -- though I thought she covered about half her diagonal of changements on pointe before cutting it short -- and I could wish her chaine turns were faster, but overall Act II went quite well. And especially in the adagio of the vision scene and the final grand pas I found her, as NYSusan wrote, gorgeous. I know reliability matters, but I have now seen Skoryk twice live and she gave really lovely performances both times. I can't help but be won over.

Love the ballet--love the production. Find the backdrops, especially for Acts I and II utterly wonderful -- the best sort of medievalist (that is, 19th-century medievalist) ballet poetry. Like the costumes too--wouldn't mind the shredded romantic tutus for the corps in vision scene if they didn't clash with the classical ballet tutus worn by the demi-soloists. Did have trouble seeing the final departure of the lovers from about two thirds back in the orchestra. Plan to catch two more performances and will try to write again.

The Saturday matinee starring Kolegova & Ivanchenko was 100% better than the opening night with Skorik/Askerov.

Anastasia Kolegova was a sheer delight -- the perfect mix of aloof sharpness, physical beauty (that face! those feet!) and joyful manner (she smiles!). All variations went well but she absolutely nailed the Hungarian "clapping solo," playing delightfully with the piano - little shakes of the head and sly smiles - that signals total mastery of the art. I'm a Kolegova uber fan now!

The only thing that some may consider a negative in Kolegova is that, in her A2 solo (navy blue tutu), she performs a diagonal of simple hops on pointe rather than changements.

Ivanchenko offered easy support of his ballerina -unlike Askerov who "made obvious effort" when lifting and carrying his Raymonda, especially when walking backwards while holding Skorik. No problem for Ivanchenko, making Kolegova look light as a feather! Also, he survived his one solo in A3 with minimal puffing.

The other soloists were the same as on opening night. I'll only name Sophia Ivanova-Skoblikova who once again wowed us with her outstanding petit allegro technique.

The only faux-pas was at the end of the Saracen couple's dance, with the girl finishing awkwardly and almost splatting, were it not for the big and quick hands of the male partner who saved her (Oleg Demchenko, hero of the day).

On to Big Red Kondaurova tonight!

- Natalia Nabatova