This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The President's statement. Note the part about big ears.

Long before being nerdy was cool, there was Leonard Nimoy. Leonard was a lifelong lover of the arts and humanities, a supporter of the sciences, generous with his talent and his time. And of course, Leonard was Spock. Cool, logical, big-eared and level-headed, the center of Star Trek's optimistic, inclusive vision of humanity's future.

From the NYT obit:

He also directed and starred as Stanley in the Atlanta Theater Guild’s production of “A Streetcar Named Desire” before receiving his final discharge in November 1955.

Stanley? Really? Oh, if I could have been there....

I was never a huge fan of Trek (the 1966 Batman was my syndication fave) but I loved the third season episode "The Savage Curtain," in which aliens conduct a competition to see which is stronger: good or evil. Kirk and Spock team-up with Surak ("the father of Vulcan civilization") and Abraham Lincoln (!) against four representatives of evil, including Genghis Khan (!!) Great late-60s sci-fi!!!

I was never a huge fan of Trek (the 1966 Batman was my syndication fave) but I loved the third season episode "The Savage Curtain," in which aliens conduct a competition to see which is stronger: good or evil. Kirk and Spock team-up with Surak ("the father of Vulcan civilization") and Abraham Lincoln (!) against four representatives of evil, including Genghis Khan (!!) Great late-60s sci-fi!!!

One of the many thrills of having a kid is watching them watch your old favorite shows -- this episode was on recently, and we both enjoyed it thoroughly!

Mr. Abatt, in his youth, drove a limo to make extra money on nights and weekends. He is a major sci fi fan, so imagine his thrill when Leonard Nimoy was his passenger. (This was about 20 years ago.) Drivers were not permitted to initiate chit chat with the passengers, but he still fondly recalls Mr. Nimoy in his back seat. Six degrees of Leonard Nimoy.

Mr. Abatt, in his youth, drove a limo to make extra money on nights and weekends. He is a major sci fi fan, so imagine his thrill when Leonard Nimoy was his passenger. (This was about 20 years ago.) Drivers were not permitted to initiate chit chat with the passengers, but he still fondly recalls Mr. Nimoy in his back seat. Six degrees of Leonard Nimoy.

That's just lovely!

Sad news of Mr. Nimoy's death.

What a good story, abatt!

During Star Trek heyday on television I was not living where the shows could be seen, but later - years later - my kids were sent video-tapes of the re-runs (to help with their English) and we watched them together.

So cool!

Mr. Spock was a favorite.

Never to be forgotten.

-d-