This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Yes!!! Nina Stemme twice! A Tannhauser with Westbroek and Mattei! "Trovatore" with Netrebko, Lee, Hvorostovsky, and Zajick! Radvanovky, Graham, Polenzani and Kwiecien in "Roberto Devereux" -- I haven't seen that since Sills in the '70's.I guess it was a toss-up between this and "Anna Bolena" and "Maria Stuarda." The five Donizetti operas are a little over 20% of next year's season, tied with Puccini, and it's not even an anniversary year for him (born 1797, died 1848).

I wish I liked Opalais more. Kaufmann's enough to get me to "Manon Lescaut," but Alagna's not enough for "Madame Butterfly."

"Elektra" and "Lulu" in the same season is pretty out there for the Met, and there are only a couple of the Usual Suspects on the HD schedule, where they bypassed the two Donizetti comedies from the season. I hope that at least one of the Monastyrska Toscas and Hymel's Rodolfos are broadcast on Sirius.

Nina Stemme's Brunnhilde in SF's Ring in summer 2011 was phenomenal!!!! It was truly an experience of a lifetime to hear the role sung so well even including small details like Brunnhilde's trills. So it is good to see her get some interesting roles at the Met. She seems determined to specialize in the Birgit Nilsson roles, and I hope she is up to that continuing challenge. Unless her voice has taken a turn for the worse since I saw her, I think her Elektra and Turandot should be very fascinating.

In contrast, I am at a total loss to understand why Radvanovsky keeps getting bel canto roles all over the world. Donizetti's Three Queens require so much in terms of drama and artistry and pure bel canto line. I just heard parts of her recent Norma at the Liceu. I know a lot of people love her and think she's wonderful, but I just do not "get" her at all. To me she sounds like an inexperienced student in this repetoire. I wish for the days of Jane Eaglen to come back after hearing Radvanovsky, and Eaglen was treated as a disastrous Norma at the Met, but most of us had no idea how low the bel canto ship would sink in years to come. It truly pains me to see how this repetoire (which was a favorite for well over 20 years) is sung today.