This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Black Swan: Solidarity Beyond Colored Pointe Shoes

This just hit my inbox. Given recent discussions we've had on this board regarding dancers of color, I thought it might be of interest. The panel includes three African-American ballerinas -- Dolores Brown, Karen Brown, and Andrea Long -- as well as dance historian Zita Allen and Iquail Shaheed, AD of Iquail Dance.

It's free, but seating is limited so you'll have to rsvp in advance. I've pasted the text of the email announcement below. The official announcement is here.

Join Dance/NYC, in partnership with Dance Iquail and Harlem Arts Alliance, for a free Town Hall titled Black Swan: Solidarity Beyond Colored Pointe Shoes, which will examine the importance of resilience as seen in the stresses on black artists, communities and institutions. In this Town Hall, a panel of women of color in the ballet world, as well as Iquail Shaheed (Artistic Director of Dance Iquail), will consider how dance as an art form is placed to help organizations and individuals adapt and recover from the shock and stress of racial segregation, diminished resources, and social disenfranchisement.

When: Monday, February 2, 2015
6:30pm-8:00pm (reception to follow)

Where: Riverside Theatre 91 Claremont Avenue New York, NY

How: Free. Click here to reserve tickets + for more information

Who: Moderator Baraka Sele (formerly of NJPAC), and Panelists Zita Allen (dance historian), Delores Brown (former ballet dancer/teacher), Karen "KB" Brown (former Artistic Director of Oakland Ballet), Andrea Long-Naidu (former NYCB and DTH dancer), and Iquail Shaheed (Dance Iquail)

Oh, I wish I could see this.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I think someone who's interested in this thread might know. I remember seeing a program in which a prominent retired black ballerina was talking about a (summer?) program for dancers of color and who that the program was important because, on the whole, black ballet students don't get the corrections in class. Does anyone know where I would have seen this? Was it in the Jacob's Pillow doc? Am I misremembering seeing it, because it was a piece on radio?

You just may be thinking of this.

"In college I was one of only two black students in ballet class. We hardly ever got corrections. It seemed like we were being bypassed. My feeling was she thought “They don’t have what it takes.” —Monique Haley, jazz dancer with River North Chicago Dance Company