This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Radio City Music Hall Rockettes - great interview with name dropping

4 hours ago, YouOverThere said:

I believe that he had his "charitable" foundation purchase of painting of himself.

I've heard that as well, but I guess I'm still hoping for some kind of indication of his taste or his preferences.  Does he read anything, listen to music, see theater?  He seems to have an opinion of what a theatrical experience should be like -- what has he seen that he thought fulfilled that image?

Does he have an inner life, or is what we see all there is?

He is friends with Andrea Bocelli, according to the NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/20/arts/andrea-bocelli-wont-be-singing-at-the-trump-inauguration.html?_r=0

But we don't know what he actually listened to -- classical opera or Bocelli's pop things?

Americans for the Arts has a good briefing report. See especially pp. 2-3. The story about his destruction of Art Deco reliefs on the old Bonwit Teller building has been widely reported. The report has (at least) one factual error. He did not "purchase" the Old Post Office; he is leasing it from the federal government. And the decision to move the Endowments was made before that.

http://afa.3cdn.net/2fcccc8e4901fbfa61_xnm6iyphs.pdf

Edited by California

An article on the potential fallout if this latest attack on the NEA succeeds:

Historically, the agency has awarded thousands of grants for orchestras, jazz, operas, chamber music, and beyond. And just looking back through the past year or so, the array of specific programs affected by the endowment is dizzying. If you saw a video last year of David Bowie talking about working with Lou Reed, that was part of an NEA-funded digital archive. An Esperanza Spalding performance at Manhattan’s Baryshnikov Arts Center, a Steve Reich 80th-birthday celebration at Carnegie Hall, and a Quincy Jones tribute at the Monterey Jazz Festival are among endowment-boosted events from 2016.

I've already contacted my representative, who needs no persuasion on this point. I do not think it is too soon.

You can find the Rockettes' performances on youtube, apparently they were at 2 balls.  

I was rather hoping they would make a surprise appearance at the women's march if someone sprang for their fee, to demonstrate bipartisanship.  

If Ivanka likes the arts, that might help.  She seems yo have her father's ear, as do the Koch brothers FWIW.  

The only solace may be some blue states increase their arts allotment as a counterbalance measure.

9 hours ago, dirac said:

An article on the potential fallout if this latest attack on the NEA succeeds:

I've already contacted my representative, who needs no persuasion on this point. I do not think it is too soon.

The most effective thing you can do is write to your senators and your representative and tell them why NEA (and NEH) matter to you and your community. Signing petitions makes people feel good, but is not too effective at this point. We're also learning, though, that direct phone calls on issues in the news that day are having an impact (cf. the proposed abolition of the ethics office). And do remember that NEH funds many arts-related projects in the history, theory, criticism, and philosophy of the arts. E.g., planning money for the International Encyclopedia of Dance came from NEH, not NEA. NEH also funded the reconstruction of Hitler's Degenerate Art show in the early 90s, as well as the PBS documentary about this.

Edited by California
On 1/22/2017 at 6:55 AM, California said:

The most effective thing you can do is write to your senators and your representative and tell them why NEA (and NEH) matter to you and your community. Signing petitions makes people feel good, but is not too effective at this point. We're also learning, though, that direct phone calls on issues in the news that day are having an impact (cf. the proposed abolition of the ethics office). And do remember that NEH funds many arts-related projects in the history, theory, criticism, and philosophy of the arts. E.g., planning money for the International Encyclopedia of Dance came from NEH, not NEA. NEH also funded the reconstruction of Hitler's Degenerate Art show in the early 90s, as well as the PBS documentary about this.

The Society for Dance History Scholars and the Congress on Research in Dance, two of the most significant organizations in dance scholarship in the US, received funding from the NEH.