This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Finally saw this. Very disappointed, I regret to say. Loaded with cliches. Turing deserved better. Cumberbatch was all right, given what he had to play. The screenwriter, Gerald Moore, gave a touching speech at the Academy Awards. I didn't realize it would be better than most of what he contributed to the picture.

Cumberbatch might have been brilliant in the material he was given, but the material he was given was hardly so. I loved his performance and enjoyed the movie as a formula, but I had to treat it like a fictional account to do so. (Like in "The Hunt for Red October," there was plenty of male eye candy here.) There's a big difference between robbing a book, when the original source is still there, and misrepresenting a real person and making it into a sob story, when what happened to him was morally reprehensible and deserved more than a placard at the end.

Hollywood has little faith in the dramatic appeal of real, but more subtle and incremental, progress that doesn't lend itself to the standard soundtracks. But I knew that going in and took it as a "based on a true story" movie.

Historical dramas are in some ways far less egregious than they used to be and are held to higher standards generally these days. Given that the truth in this case was already dramatic enough, it was disheartening to see what was substituted for it, and I saw no particular reason to issue the movie a pass. I like Cumberbatch very well indeed but given the misleading treatment of Turing as a person I wouldn't say he was worth the price of admission.