This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nutcrackers we know

I'm heading off to watch the Pacific Northwest Ballet Stowell/Sendak Nut for my last time tonight, and I've been thinking about what makes this particular production distinctive. I have a feeling that almost everyone on this board will be seeing at least one Nut this season, many of us will see more, and a few will be dancing in one as well -- I want to know what makes the Nutcracker you're seeing (or participating in) specific -- what makes it particular to that company and that community?

I'm lucky enough to have a wonderful staging of Balanchine's here. I'm very familiar with both City Ballet's and MCB's, and I prefer the fastest pace of the Miamian staging. I think Eddie's input has to do very much with this. It is a fact that tempi were faster back in his days, particularly during the snow scene and Valse of the Flowers..

And then, of course, the Cuban after Fedorova rendition of CCBM, if only for the Snow Pas de deux and the Ivanov Sugar Plum Pas de deux.

I'm lucky enough to have a wonderful staging of Balanchine's here. I'm very familiar with both City Ballet's and MCB's, and I prefer the fastest pace of the Miamian staging. ..

We're getting the Balanchine starting next year -- I hadn't thought about tempi yet, but this is an interesting comment.

A question -- I was wondering, after I read this snip from a review of the BRB production

Clara is conveyed on the back of a bird to the Land of Snow.

How does Clara/Marie travel in other versions of the ballet? In the Stowell/Sendak version, it's one of the most charming effects of the show (a little ship inside a theater, with old-fashioned waves and dolphins playing. And I noticed that in designs for Grand Rapids Ballet's new production (sets by Chris Van Allsburgh of Polar Express fame) Clara and the Nutcracker prince travel in a giant shell pulled by dolphins.

So what other vehicles are there?

I was delighted to see the stowell/Sendak nut over the weekend. It's been on my "wanna do" list for so long, I'm only sorry I waited until the last possible opportunity to see it.

A question to those who know this production so well: The music in the masque section. This isn't in any playing of the nutcracker that I've ever heard. Is it papageno's aria from Zauberflote? Mozart meets Tchaikovsky ? In any case it is charming.

I loved seeing a supported adagio where balanchine has the bed moving around the stage, especially since it was most likely my last opportunity to see carla korbes. Ravishing.

The boat with the jumping fish (the Angels in balanchine) made me a little seasick frankly. In reply to sandik, Marie and the prince are often transported to the land of sweets in a sleigh.

The flowers costumes are possibly the most exquisite ballet dresses I've ever seen. I'm in love with them. However I miss dewdrop, even though Flora's solos are similar choreographically the costume headpiece and virtuosity of the variation sets dew far apart from the rest of the bouquet.

I have such admiration for peter boal. He was my favorite of the NYCB men in his time and I think he has done a stellar job at the helm of PNB. But this nutcracker is so unique, so extraordinary, that I wish they would not shelve the production. So many companies do Balanchine's nut, only pnb does this one....I think this is a loss to our beloved ballet world.

A question to those who know this production so well: The music in the masque section. This isn't in any playing of the nutcracker that I've ever heard. Is it papageno's aria from Zauberflote? Mozart meets Tchaikovsky ? In any case it is charming.

It's the Pastorale from The Queen of Spades, which is set in the late 18th century. I've always thought that Tchaikovsky was especially good at "period" music.

I'm lucky enough to have a wonderful staging of Balanchine's here. I'm very familiar with both City Ballet's and MCB's, and I prefer the fastest pace of the Miamian staging. ..

We're getting the Balanchine starting next year -- I hadn't thought about tempi yet, but this is an interesting comment.

Oh with regard to tempi, I noticed differences between nycb and pnb, of note is the final dance in the party scene where deCou takes the tempo much faster. And one lovely moment at the end of flowers, where there is a grand Ritard before the final phrase. Took my breath away.

It's the Pastorale from The Queen of Spades. I've always thought that Tchaikovsky was especially good at "period" music.

Oh thank you! Not an opera that I've seen. Not yet.

I'm kind of hoping after the new version makes its money back, that PNB will alternate from year-to-year between Balanchine and Stowell versions (I've said this before in other threads, but I'll keep repeating it until Doug Fullerton whispers it into Peter Boal's ear).

My only objection to the Stowell version is the lackluster choreography to the "Sugar Plum" music in the 2nd act.