This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYPL Program: Alexei Ratmansky & Paul Holdengräber

yudi

October 8, 2014, 7 pm — 9 pm
Alexei Ratmansky in Conversation with Paul Holdengräber

Co-presented by the Center for Ballet and the Arts at New York University, the New York Public Library hosts Alexei Ratmansky, in conversation with Paul Holdengräber, to speak about his life’s work performing and choreographing for some of the world’s greatest ballet companies, including the American Ballet Theatre, New York City Ballet, and the Bolshoi Ballet.

Video Recording:
http://media.nypl.org/video/LIVE_2014-10-8_Ratmansky.mp4

A very interesting interview. Poignant reminiscences of life in 60s-70s Soviet Union, where three words were never ever spoken in the ballet world: Baryshnikov, Nureyev, and Balanchine. He also gave a wonderfully concise description of how the relationship of ballet and music changed because of Tschaikovsky.

Poignant reminiscences of life in 60s-70s Soviet Union, where three words were never ever spoken in the ballet world: Baryshnikov, Nureyev, and Balanchine.

What's surprising is that Balanchine was warmly welcomed to the Soviet Union in 1962, as we saw in a clip on another thread. I would assume that Makarova was taboo after 1971, when she defected.

Poignant reminiscences of life in 60s-70s Soviet Union, where three words were never ever spoken in the ballet world: Baryshnikov, Nureyev, and Balanchine.

What's surprising is that Balanchine was warmly welcomed to the Soviet Union in 1962, as we saw in a clip on another thread. I would assume that Makarova was taboo after 1971, when she defected.

October 8, 2014, 7 pm — 9 pm

Alexei Ratmansky in Conversation with Paul Holdengräber

Co-presented by the Center for Ballet and the Arts at New York University, the New York Public Library hosts Alexei Ratmansky, in conversation with Paul Holdengräber, to speak about his life’s work performing and choreographing for some of the world’s greatest ballet companies, including the American Ballet Theatre, New York City Ballet, and the Bolshoi Ballet.

Video Recording:

http://media.nypl.org/video/LIVE_2014-10-8_Ratmansky.mp4

Thanks for posting this! I heard about it and have been wanting to check the interview out.

Explaining the difference between the Balanchine reception in 1962 and later is a bit difficult and something I'd love to actually work out. I don't really have an concrete evidence for it, but I would guess that the difference is related to the change in political climate in the Soviet Union during the late 1960s. Balanchine first appeared there during Khrushchev's era and the Thaw - so there was more space to discuss different artistic possibilities (think of the publication of Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich). But once Khrushchev was ousted and Brezhnev really established authority, things closed up again until the late 1980s.