This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Eric Tamm Appointed Executive Director of INTERMEZZO Dance Company

Eric Tamm has been appointed Executive Director of Craig Salstein's company:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwdance/article/INTERMEZZO-Dance-Company-Welcomes-New-Executive-Director-20141015#

Does this signal a shift away from performing, or will he balance this with his responsibilities at ABT? It's kind of shocking to see he has been in the corps de ballet for seven years. It baffles me that he has not been promoted to soloist. He has been a much more reliable dancer than Hammoudi, and his dancing has an elegance reminiscent of Gorak's.

Intermezzo barely has any performances throughout the year, and I'm sure their funding is precarious. Sounds like a side gig for Tamm, not a job in lieu of his career at ABT. Yes, I would have preferred if ABT had promoted Tamm instead of Hammoudi.

Speaking of Salstein, I'm not sure how old he is, but he seems to be approaching retirement age.

Intermezzo barely has any performances throughout the year, and I'm sure their funding is precarious. Sounds like a side gig for Tamm, not a job in lieu of his career at ABT. Yes, I would have preferred if ABT had promoted Tamm instead of Hammoudi.

Speaking of Salstein, I'm not sure how old he is, but he seems to be approaching retirement age.

CS is,probably, about J Matthews age. They were at the Studio Company at about the same year(when i saw them).

CS is,probably, about J Matthews age. They were at the Studio Company at about the same year(when i saw them).

I don't think Salstein is nearing retirement age. He can't be more than 32. His ABT bio says he joined the corps in 2002 after being in the Studio company. And, his dancing has shown no signs of slowing down or a reduction in stamina (but, how a dancer feels is another thing; Carla Korbes being a case in point).

I think this gig for Tamm is just a side/temporary gig, and probably a good opportunity to learn the other side of the ballet business while he's still dancing.

I saw a program by Intermezzo at the 92nd St Y about a year ago. Have they done anything since? (On a side note, I must admit that during that evening at the Y, it was fun to see a number of ABT dancers in the audience in mufti, so to speak. I even ran into one of them in the bathroom. No, nothing scandalous! And if you kept your ears open at intermission, you could hear some interesting gossip.)

Oh, I'm very sad to see this! He had such promise that ABT failed to develop. I never understood why he wasn't promoted.

Here's the link to Nicola Curry's instragram where she mentions Tamm leaving. There's a nice photo of him during the bows. http://ink361.com/app/users/ig-27976545/currycoops/photos/ig-875680183302498335_27976545

I hope he'll continue to dance somewhere where he'll be nurtured and appreciated.

How much more talent can ABT manage to lose and still have a respectable corps? There some real clunkers in the male corps, but of course they seem to be sticking it out for the long haul. I guess ABT can't afford to cut the fat at this point, though.

Tamm is a lovely dancer and deserves to be recognized as a soloist at a top-tier company. I wish him the best.

With the Tamm news, we are now at the point where ABT is a company with a hollowed out core (pun intended). How many more male soloists and corps members can they lose before the already ramshackle productions deteriorate further? I was making a mental list in my head today of all the talented male dancers who have moved on in the last half-dozen years -- Isaac Stappas (corps), Carlos Lopez (soloist), Roddy Doble (corps), Julio Bragado-Young (corps), Joseph Philips (corps), Jared Matthews (soloist) and now Eric Tamm (corps). You can't run a company just on stars and guest stars, and you need some kind of pipeline from corps to principal so young dancers feel that they may get somewhere if they work hard.

With the Tamm news, we are now at the point where ABT is a company with a hollowed out core (pun intended). How many more male soloists and corps members can they lose before the already ramshackle productions deteriorate further? I was making a mental list in my head today of all the talented male dancers who have moved on in the last half-dozen years -- Isaac Stappas (corps), Carlos Lopez (soloist), Roddy Doble (corps), Julio Bragado-Young (corps), Joseph Philips (corps), Jared Matthews (soloist) and now Eric Tamm (corps). You can't run on a company just on stars and guest stars, and you need some kind of pipeline from corps to principal so young dancers feel that they may get somewhere if they work hard.

It sure is alarming on what is happening to ABT and it's resident dancers. Surely, there is someone in the BOD who would do something soon. I hate to see ABT implode on it's 75th year.

I did a little investigating at ABT's home page. There are 25 men listed in the corps (one of whom is Eric Tamm). Subtracting out Tamm leaves us with 24 men, of which 12 have only been with the company as apprentices/corps members since the turn of the decade. Make of it what you will . . .

I don't know him as a dancer, and so cannot speak to the balance of work at ABT, but I'm glad to see yet another professional dancer stepping into an administrative position -- I always think it's a benefit to the organization to have people on staff who really understand the demands of the profession.

Eric Tamm has appeared on a TV commercial for K. Hovnanian. He lives (or lived) in a Hovnanian builidng in Jersey City, New Jersey. The commercial has been running a few years. I saw it again sometime within the last few months.

I wonder if he has other advertising gigs.

On his Instagram account, Thomas Forster has posted a lovely farewell message to Eric Tamm . . . and Luis Ribagorda, who is the other corps member retiring from ABT. Roman Zhurbin also has posted a nice message about Ribagorda on his Instagram account.

Completely surprised by Ribagorda's departure.