This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"Bolshoi woos Ratmansky and Osipova" (from Ismene Brown's

Helene

Ismene Brown posted an intro to and commentary on an article in ITAR-TASS with a translation of the article to her blog. Urin is trying to convince Ratmansky to choreograph a new work for the company and hopes that Osipova will return after her Royal Ballet season is over, with Urin suggesting the new production of "Hero of Our Time." see below.

There are also interesting comments from Filin.

http://www.ismeneb.com/Blog/Entries/2014/9/11_Bolshoi_woos_Ratmansky_and_Osipova.html

So many interesting ideas, and so little actually firm... I can't imagine that any of them (Rathmansky, Osipova, Vasiliev) would stay away permanently, but I imagine that there is a significant amount of negotiation that will need to take place.

Tangentially, I was struck by one of the other headlines at the bottom of Brown's blog post: "Summing up a crime-free Bolshoi year." Wow.

I suspect that ABT is also is negotiations with Osipova to appear with ABT after the Royal tour of the US is finished in June 2015.

Ratmansky's dance card is filled up years in advance, so it seems unlikely that he would have any time for a Bolshoi commission in the immediate future.

I wouldn't necessarily expect much. My impressions from reading Filin's comments is that, no, the Bolshoi isn't trying all that hard. It's along the lines of "we'd love for them to come, the door is always open, but they're very busy." That's pretty non-committal. Apparently, it's unlikely that Osipova will dance in Possokhov's new ballet. On the contrary, Filin seems to imply that since the Bolshoi will be rehearsing the piece just when Osipova is available, this will make an appearance by her unlikely.

The Bolshoi's own translation:

-Will the audience see Natalia Osipova and Ivan Vasiliev at the Bolshoi Theatre this season?

We were trying to find a way to have Natalia Osipova perform in the Bolshoi's productions, but she is very busy at the Royal Ballet. The free time that she has does not coincide with the Bolshoi’s schedule: she might have danced here in the end of the season, but we will have rehearsals of “A Hero of Our Time”. Natalia says she will dance at the Bolshoi with pleasure. The Bolshoi Theatre is always open for her as well. As for Ivan Vasiliev, he will perform in our productions quite often. Perhaps, he will dance in “The Nutcracker” in December.

-Has the theatre fixed any plans involving Alexei Ratmansky?

We are in touch with Alexei. Vladimir Urin is conducting negotiations with him concerning staging some production and coming back to the Bolshoi Theatre. However, everything depends on Alexei himself. As soon as he finds an opportunity, he will work at the Bolshoi Theatre. Alexei’s new production will be staged at the Bolshoi no matter what.

http://bolshoinews.com/2014-09-15.Bolshoi%20Newsletter.pdf

The Bolshoi's own translation:

-Will the audience see Natalia Osipova and Ivan Vasiliev at the Bolshoi Theatre this season?

We were trying to find a way to have Natalia Osipova perform in the Bolshoi's productions, but she is very busy at the Royal Ballet. The free time that she has does not coincide with the Bolshoi's schedule: she might have danced here in the end of the season, but we will have rehearsals of “A Hero of Our Time”. Natalia says she will dance at the Bolshoi with pleasure. The Bolshoi Theatre is always open for her as well. As for Ivan Vasiliev, he will perform in our productions quite often. Perhaps, he will dance in “The Nutcracker” in December.

That was my misreading of Ismene Brown's translation. I though she could join rehearsals of the new ballet after her RB commitments.

It wouldn't be the first time Osipova or her management thought about or tried to have her in two places at once, but I don't see that game or "misunderstanding" played successfully on Urin.

I hope that Vasiliev rejoins the Bolshoi. Based the dancing we saw from him with the Mikhailovsky, he needs some discipline (and to cut down on smoking) and good coaching. I think he can find that more readily at the Bolshoi. Without Osipova, his career as a guest artist isn't really happening. Better he rejoin his old company than be out in the wilderness, so to speak.

If anything, Vasiliev's ties to the Bolshoi seem to be weakening. A year ago, by this point in the season he had made a half dozen guest appearances at the Bolshoi, including a debut in Coppelia. This season a performance in The Nutcracker was scheduled for December, but Vasiliev was replaced at the last minute.

Is he coming to the end of his performing life, do you suppose? I don't know enough about him (age, injuries, other interests) to know if he's starting to slow down and heading towards a shift?

He's only 26 - two years younger than Osipova. But his high velocity technique could also be taking a toll.