This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Which Giselle?

I would wait and see if anything opens up for Monday Vishneva and grab it. Keep checking the website daily, a few times a day. You would be amazaed at the seats that become available the day of or day before the performance.

Don't forget Seo and Cojocaru, both on Saturday.

I'm trying to figure out the same thing.

I saw Reyes do Giselle with Bocca years ago and I thought she was quite good, but Bocca completely outshone her. I don't know that Kent can pull off being a village girl anymore so I'd pass on that one.

Semionova is doing Giselle with Hallberg, and just to see Hallberg in Giselle would be worth it alone. He's spectacular. I think this will be Semionova's debut.

I've heard that Seo is quite good as Giselle. I don't know about Cojocaru.

I'll appreciate hearing others thoughts as well.

Don't forget Seo and Cojocaru, both on Saturday.

I'm trying to figure out the same thing.

I saw Reyes do Giselle with Bocca years ago and I thought she was quite good, but Bocca completely outshone her. I don't know that Kent can pull off being a village girl anymore so I'd pass on that one.

Semionova is doing Giselle with Hallberg, and just to see Hallberg in Giselle would be worth it alone. He's spectacular. I think this will be Semionova's debut.

I've heard that Seo is quite good as Giselle. I don't know about Cojocaru.

I'll appreciate hearing others thoughts as well.

I would go with Cojocaru, for sure!

Cojocaru is a great Giselle even when she is a bit off her game (as I thought she was when I saw her do it a couple of seasons ago. It was still, in particular, one of the most memorable Act I performances I have ever seen, as she was Giselle in every pore of her body and the dancing exquisitely harmonious throughout). When she is on her game I can only imagine how great it must be.

That said, I agree that you can almost certainly get tickets for almost any sold out performance at the Met either the day before or day of the performance--especially if you are able to check the box office directly. So if your heart is set on Vishneva, then I would not give up.

Thanks for the replies. That weekend doesn't work for me unfortunately, so Cojocaru is out.

As of now, I have the Reyes / Gorak (was originally supposed to be Whiteside) Cinderella and then the Semionova / Hallberg Giselle. I was thinking of switching to the Murphy / Hallberg Cinderella and Kent / Bolle Giselle, since I have never any of those four before and seeing Vishneva and Gomes in Manon this week made me realize how much difference the casting can make. But perhaps I am better off keeping what I have.

Given your time limitations I would go with Semionova / Hallberg. Although it is her debut in ABT's "Giselle", she had danced this part before. The most memorable performance took place in Russia opposite Gomes. Both received raving reviews from the Russian press, and were very well received by the audience.

Hallberg's Albert does not need comments.....

I would definitely not see Julie Kent. I was very disappointed seeing her in La Bayadere in 2010 where she basically just sketched the steps. I have seen Reyes in Giselle twice (once with Corella and once with Cornejo) and both times she was wonderful. I know you said you can't make Herrera but if your schedule changes my advice is don't see Herrera as Giselle. I saw her dance the part in 2006 and was very disappointed both by her acting and her dancing. I've never seen Semionova dance Giselle but she seems too strong to me. I don't think I could buy her having a weak heart. I'm seeing Cojacaru. I haven't seen her live but I saw her in a dvd and she was fantastic. I saw Hee Seo dance Giselle in 2011 and she was very good. However she danced it with David Hallberg. I don't know about Hammoudi as Albrecht.

If you want a Cinderella suggestion, I'd keep Reyes/Gorak. This should be a good role for Reyes and if you haven't seen Gorak yet, he's a wonderful up-and-coming corps dancer who should really be a soloist at this point and has a very promising future. I'd bypass Kent (although Gomes is superb in everything). Murphy/Hallberg should also be very good, but for Cinderella I'd keep Reyes/Gorak.

I'm seeing Cojacaru [in Giselle]. I haven't seen her live but I saw her in a dvd and she was fantastic.

I have that DVD, if you mean the Royal Ballet Giselle with Cojocaru and Kobborg. I agree; she was great, especially in the first act happy innocent peasant girl dances. She was amazingly light and fluid.