This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The ABT Dancer - Video release

I believe it was done just out of good will toward the community, I doubt anyone was paid a cent for it. We are talking the very early days of the web when most people weren't on it yet. I don't believe Google even existed yet. There may not even have been spam yet. This website did not exist yet.

Well they deserve thanks, then. Let's hope they advance so far as to become pioneers again.

Here's a second video released by ABT on June 9 titled "Meet the Dancer: James Whiteside".

This is a start, and I applaud them for that, but so far these videos are too brief and on the surface. It feels force-fed with Whiteside telling us how amazing it is to dance "the greatest hits" (as he rattles off the names of the big war horse ballets). I wanted to hear more about him and his dancing process. Seeing rehearsal footage is great, but why not some performance clips too?

I was just saying today that I would like to see Tom as Albrect. Watched company class today and he had some beautiful front cabrioles and lovely arches for those sixes. He probably has some acting chops too, watching him as both an evil step-sister and in the Moor's Pavane. He should also get a shot at the purple von rothbart, especially with Sascha and Jared leaving after this season.

Agree that Forster is a soulful dancer. Saw him in ABT's Lilac Garden and Company B at Sadler's Wells a few years back and thought him most impressive. I feel too he may well be an impactful Albrecht opposite the tantalizing Ms. Abrera. They are vividly matched.

The STELLA AND TOM video is most beautifully shot. The steady cam operator is a true artist .... and the setting spectacular. Congratulations to the wonderful Mr. Salstein for exercising such apt taste in support of each and every element.

The company is launching a YouTube channel:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE LAUNCHES

YouTube CHANNEL

American Ballet Theatre has launched the ABT YouTube Channel, under the channel name of “ABTBalletTheatre.” Offering an in-depth and candid look at the Company, the ABT YouTube channel showcases current dancers in two or three minute vignettes. Taped segments explore experiences and points of view of ABT dancers, while adding to the experience of ABT performances with behind-the-scenes footage of rehearsals and day-to-day Company life. Videos featuring special events and Company activity will also be posted.

American Ballet Theatre’s YouTube channel covers such topics as performance rituals, perseverance and competition. Featured Meet the Dancer segments highlight dancers from each rank of the Company. The channel provides users with a new social media experience in addition to ABT’s Facebook and Twitter presence.

Access to the ABT YouTube Channel can be found at www.youtube.com under the channel name of “ABTBalletTheatre.”

Does anyone know: Is there any way to "subscribe" to this YouTube channel so that you'll receive an email when each new video is posted, or do you have to go to YouTube and put it in the Search box every time?

On the home page of the ABT channel, look to the far right under the image from Swan Lake. There's a little grayish box you click to subscribe or unsubscribe. Easy to miss. When you go to YouTube, it usually shows you newly loaded videos from all your subscriptions on the first page.

One puzzle: This channel has been on line for three months and I subscribed back then, so I'm not clear on why they are just now sending out a press release. Maybe they wanted to wait until they had several videos to choose from?

Does anyone know: Is there any way to "subscribe" to this YouTube channel so that you'll receive an email when each new video is posted, or do you have to go to YouTube and put it in the Search box every time?

On the home page of the ABT channel, look to the far right under the image from Swan Lake. There's a little grayish box you click to subscribe or unsubscribe. Easy to miss. When you go to YouTube, it usually shows you newly loaded videos from all your subscriptions on the first page.

One puzzle: This channel has been on line for three months and I subscribed back then, so I'm not clear on why they are just now sending out a press release. Maybe they wanted to wait until they had several videos to choose from?

Thank you, California!

Perhaps they wanted to do the dance video equivalent of the restaurant "soft opening"

California, am I right that you must have a gmail account in order to subscribe to a youtube channel? I've not been able to sign in using my email address which is not from google. Thanks!

California, am I right that you must have a gmail account in order to subscribe to a youtube channel? I've not been able to sign in using my email address which is not from google. Thanks!

Gosh -- I honestly don't know. But Google e-mail is free and you could set up an account and never use it.

Ok, tried that, thanks! Subscribed to ABT and Kathryn Morgan channels. I'll see how that goes.