This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Here's another very nice example of how a ballet company is introducing young kids to the ballet: I attended a performance of the ENB Coppelia in London in April. I was in town for other reasons, but it was being presented at the Peacock Theatre just a few blocks from the Royal Opera House, so it seemed worth a visit, and it was. They offered numerous performances around England, as well as London, so a lot of kids are being introduced to the ballet with this program.

They presented a shortened/condensed version, with advanced students from their School. The choreography seemed a bit simplified, but not too much. Although they used recorded music, they had nice sets and costumes, presumably from the company's inventory. The audience was packed with parents and kids, many of them still toddlers. What made it an especially good educational experience for the kids: the Dr. Coppelius character was miked and explained throughout what was going on in the plot. He also gently explained some of the mime, as well as the plot details, for the kids. They also had a lavish program for kids to take home explaining the story, with various games and illustrations. Very nice job overall.

I've only seen one of Bruce Wells' story ballets performed by Professional Division students, and I don't know if the others follow the same format, but he did narration from a lectern downstage left for his stellar "Snow White." It was a treat to see the kids respond to it.