This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I was planning to go see this today at the cinema, but my mother had plans, so we will go to the encore on Wednesday. (She loves this opera, and as a Bartoli's rabid fan she wants very much to see this, to see if her standards are still accurate ;-) ). I don't care too much for Florez at this point, so I'd like to know about it first account. Who saw this?

I did. While I think that Pisaroni is a little short of the flexibility he needs for Alindoro's big aria, on the whole, I think everyone sounded fabulous. Joyce Di Donato said in the intermission interview that it was her last performance of Cenerontola, and it was bittersweet.

Di Donato is not going to resemble Bartoli. It's hard to imagine two different mezzos.

I had a wonderful time at the encore, and so my mom and my friend. The thing about this performance is that everyone onstage seemed to be having such a great time! Didonato's embellishments in certain passages are not my cup of tea-(she slows certain sections to be able to embellish more, and in this aspect I have very much the fouette rule...make'em simple and they'll be more perfect). She does seems to have, on the other side, a very stable control on her respirations during the fast passages. I really loved her performance. The rest of the cast was also wonderful, particularly Rachelle Durkin as Clorinda and Patricia Risley as Tisbe. They got me laughing the whole time. Kuddos also to Florez, who has a wonderful rapport with Didonato-(and it shows) and Corbelli's Don Magnifico.

And of course...congrats to Luisi for another wonderful orchestra rendition.