This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Denis Nedak

mussel

Does anyone know anything about him? The only thing I know is he's with Ukraine National Ballet.

I tried googling him (as I'm sure others have, too). He has been a guest in recent years as the prince in Swan Lake at the Slovak National Ballet (a company I saw many times in Bratislava and have recommended on this site), which is a plus for me. (Slovakia borders Ukraine in the east.)

I found an interesting YouTube clip of the Wedding PdD from Sleeping Beauty. I'm guessing that was a performance with the Ukraine Ballet, as his partner is one of their principals and the cyrillic alphabet in the title is used in Ukraine. (Slovakia uses the Roman alphabet.) I've often noted that these eastern European countries seem to have the classical arts in their bloodstream and should not be overlooked. (And while under the thumb of the Soviet Union, many of their teachers had opportunities to study there, as well.) The one thing I find odd in this clip: when he stands behind her to support pirouettes, he seems to plie very deeply and awkwardly, as if he's just too tall for her.

I don't know much. He graduated from the Odessa Ballet School in 2002 and worked at the opera house there until 2005. Since then he has danced with the National Ballet of Ukraine. On stage he is often paired with Natalia Matsak. His roles include James, Albrecht, Siegfried, Désiré, Solor, Jean de Brienne, Basilio and the Nutcracker Prince. I saw a telecast of Le Corsaire in which he played Conrad and liked him very much. Here is a small clip of him as John in Lorca Massine's Zorba the Greek.

McKenzie ususally tries to hire a well known dancer for a guest stint. The fact that nobody on this board of intense ballet fans has ever heard of Nedak or seen him dance, although he has apparently been around for quite some time, suggests he's not a major, must-see talent. However, there does seem to be an element of desperation at ABT to now fill in the spots for all the injured dancers. Nedak looks pretty good in the You Tube clips posted above.

Is everyone who dances Solor at the RB busy? Their Bayadere has the same choreography as ABT's. We shall see what happens.

Is everyone who dances Solor at the RB busy? Their Bayadere has the same choreography as ABT's. We shall see what happens.

It looks like Golding (and just about everybody else at RB) will be very busy that week with a mixed bill:

http://www.roh.org.uk/mixed-programmes/serenade-sweet-violets-dgv

(Note, BTW, that Osipova will be doing Serenade -- her debut?)

And a week later, Golding is partnering Osipova in The Dream (also debuts?): http://www.roh.org.uk/events/kqw8x

(Note, BTW, that Osipova will be doing Serenade -- her debut?)

And a week later, Golding is partnering Osipova in The Dream (also debuts?): http://www.roh.org.uk/events/kqw8x

off%20topic.gif Osipova danced in the Bolshoi's premiere of Serenade in 2007.

The preview of the next episode of Blood, Sweat and Blisters on Dutch TV showed Golding in costume as Ashton's Oberon, though the clip implied that was injured and may have needed a replacement. Don't know yet how that worked out. I expect that for her it will be a debut.

I also have seen Denis Nedak several times in National Ballet of Ukraine performances, in such roles as Basilio and Solor. This troupe tours regularly in Japan, like once or twice a year. He is not a flashy dancer but is tall and has stellar classical technique and is a good partner, quite noble. But not with a super-star potential.

Unlikely as it seems, I'm reviving this thread because Nedak joined Atlanta Ballet (announced last year actually--I wasn't paying a lot of attention since they weren't dancing much and I certainly wasn't attending). He is dancing Albrecht with them this week as they finally premier the Giselle that was planned for 2020. For various reasons, I'm not able to attend. I'm sorry to miss it.  I can't know, but I imagine he is under some emotional strain under the circumstances.

Edited by Drew

Yes, this thread had lapsed, but Denys Nedak did make several guest appearances with ABT in 2014 and 2015. The Bayadère he danced in 2015 opposite Veronika Part and Gillian Murphy was the most dramatically compelling performance of the ballet in my experience. It absolutely crackled with chemistry. 

As mentioned on another thread, Bel Air Classiques is currently streaming his Siegfried opposite the Odette-Odile of Natalia Matsak, filmed in 2019.

https://balletalert.invisionzone.com/topic/46679-2022-free-streaming-during-covid-19-crisis/?do=findComment&comment=438591

I was not aware that he had joined Atlanta Ballet.