This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT To Unveil New Sleeping Beauty For 75th Anniversary

Thanks ksk, Josette and Andre for your wonderful reports. I felt joy just reading them. ABT finally has a production it can be proud of. May is such a distant future, I am not sure how I'll survive the wait.

So Cabinet des fées characters that actually dance the variations are Cat & Puss, Florine & Blue Bird, Red Hood & Wolf, Cinderella & Prince Fortune, Ogre/Ogress and Hop-O-My-Thumb in addition to the Precious Stones. While Bluebeard & Ariana, Porcelain Princesses, Mandarin, Scheherazade, Shah & bros. are walk-through characters. Correct? This production has more act 3 variations and walk-thru characters than RB's, which many considered as the Western production the closest to the original one.

So Cabinet des fées characters that actually dance the variations are Cat & Puss, Florine & Blue Bird, Red Hood & Wolf, Cinderella & Prince Fortune, Ogre/Ogress and Hop-O-My-Thumb in addition to the Precious Stones. While Bluebeard & Ariana, Porcelain Princesses, Mandarin, Scheherazade, Shah & bros. are walk-through characters. Correct? This production has more act 3 variations and walk-thru characters than RB's, which many considered as the Western production the closest to the original one.

Well, look at it this way -- Aurora has been asleep for a long time, so she had a lot of scope for dreaming.

Thanks for the reports, Josette and ksk04! It's so good to hear that this version might be an audience winner AND good for the company's growth. I agree, Cassandra Trenary and Leann Underwood are both rather special: I'm glad you think so too.

And any time I'm reminded that Vishneva and Gomes are at the top of their game (in one of the harder ballets in the canon, no less), this little balletomane sleeps a little more soundly.

The more I hear or read about this production, the more I want to see it. A friend who attended last night called after show to tell me that Murphy and Abrera were far-stronger Aurora and Lilac, respectively, than the first cast. The goofy airs described by the LA Times and OC reporters were no longer in evidence.

The designs look beautiful in the photos of bows. No 'El Cheapo' here!

How I wish ABT would film it with the original cast! My real fear is that LaScala will do it with Zakharovainnocent.gif

There are many ballets I would like to see filmed with Vishneva, but Sleeping Beauty isn't one of them. That ship has sailed.

Vishneva was filmed as Aurora more than a dozen years ago, at La Scala in Nureyev's production with Roberto Bolle. The telecast was never released on DVD, and it really wasn't her finest hour. But if La Scala thinks it can do better with Zakharova...

Osipova works with La Scala too, right? She may end up in the mix for the performances at La Scala with Sarafanov. Very odd that Bolle's previous casting with Herrera in SB for her farewell is listed as "TBA".

It will be a shame if Herrera, after 20 years at ABT, ends up doing her farewell with Nedak, who has zero previous relationship with her and virtually no relationship with ABT.

That's assuming La Scala has the rights to film as part of the package.

Zakharova sells DVDs in Europe, NA, and Japan. While she might not not be ideal, at least there's a lot more to "Sleeping Beauty" than Aurora's solos, and who knows the extent to which she will be committed to the style. From descriptions here and professional reviews, it sounds like Vishneva's style on Tuesday was a lot different than her style in Berkeley when she toured with the Mariinsky in the 00's.

At the moment La Scala has scheduled nine performances in the autumn, of which four are to be danced by Zakharova and Hallberg, assuming he has returned to performing by then. No other guest artists are listed at the moment, so presumably the plan is to give the other performances to La Scala's own dancers. (Incidentally, La Scala has not yet announced who will replace Hallberg in Giselle opposite Osipova in April.)

The last time I saw Vishneva dance SB was with the Mariinsky at the Kennedy Center. I think it was in 2006, and I believe Shkylarov may have been her partner. Her style then was classic, refined and beautiful. There was none of the idiosyncratic interpretation issues that have been mentioned in reference to her performance in the new ABT version.

(I also recall that there was a blizzard that night in DC)

Correction: I was way off on the date. It was 2010, not 2006. Here was the review of the Washington Post of that 2010 performance.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/10/AR2010021003477.html

That's assuming La Scala has the rights to film as part of the package.

Zakharova sells DVDs in Europe, NA, and Japan. While she might not not be ideal, at least there's a lot more to "Sleeping Beauty" than Aurora's solos, and who knows the extent to which she will be committed to the style.

I hope PBS steps up and films an ABT performance, because it's been a long time since the last telecast. On the other hand, RAI broadcasts La Scala's ballet company once a year, and a new production would be a strong candidate for 2015.
Zakharova certainly sells DVDs and show tickets. When I elected to pass on the Bolshoi's last visit to New York and put my tickets up for resale, Zakharova's performances were snapped up lickety-split; the others took quite a bit longer. But I'm still mildly traumatized by memories of the cinemacast of Sleeping Beauty from the Bolshoi, a performance I never revisited on video. I cringe every time a clip of her Aurora whacking her legs around shows up in a trailer. A webstream of Nacho Duato's production from the Mikhailovsky wasn't any better. Perhaps I'm not giving her a fair shake. When the Bolshoi brought its production to London I had tickets to her performances, but ultimately couldn't stomach using them, although I did go to see the remaining casts. I would like to hope for the best and the possibility that Zakharova will conform herself to Ratmansky's conception, but I have to admit that the prospect of another film of her Aurora fills me with dread.

Thanks ksk, Josette and Andre for your wonderful reports. I felt joy just reading them. ABT finally has a production it can be proud of. May is such a distant future, I am not sure how I'll survive the wait.

You're welcome! Cinderella and her prince also get their own dance, though they're dancing character steps (ie. not ballet steps). Bluebeard, 18th century Chinese stereotypes, and Persian stereotypes are just in the ensemble.

Since Sleeping Beauty is for their 75th anniversary I'm really hoping they put this on DVD/ Bluray.

Let's hope PBS doesn't decide that Ric Burns' documentary is sufficient to mark the occasion. Remembering past accomplishments is important, but if ABT has finally started to snap out of its artistic torpor with this production, that's something worth celebrating.

Just a note that the Sergeyev notation does specifically note that Aurora flirts with each of the suitors during the Rose Adagio - so it really is a dramatic scene and not just a technical feat. So Vishneva's kittenish winks and girlish exuberance while she acted up a storm are probably how she was coached. How that manner may look on a dancer who is approaching 40 is a matter of conjecture - I wasn't there. Vishneva now has a certain sophistication that doesn't lend itself to ingenue roles. I agree that most Auroras have that deer in the headlights "please don't let me fall off pointe...or on my butt" look of anxiety and/or terror during that scene. Also, re: La Scala and Zakharova in "Sleeping Beauty" - Zakharova already filmed "Beauty" in 2011 with David Hallberg at the Bolshoi - it is readily available on blu-ray and dvd. Would La Scala want to replicate the Bolshoi's casting and have two commercial documentations of Hallberg and Zakharova in the same ballet?

BTW: I saw both Zakharova and Vishneva dance Aurora with the Mariinsky in the 1890 reconstruction. Certainly Zakharova was doing 6 o'clock penchées and developpees back then...