This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Coppelia

I think the NYCB Coppelia is superior to ABT's in terms of the quality of the choreography. Last time I think there were 3 casts, and they were all very good (M. Fairchild, Tiler Peck and Sterling Hyltin as Swanilda, Veyette, DeLuz and ??? for Franz)

If you've never seen Jewels, you must put it high on your priority list. In fact, even if you have seen it, see it again.

Concerto Barocco is a must see ballet.

I think the NYCB Coppelia is superior to ABT's in terms of the quality of the choreography. Last time I think there were 3 casts, and they were all very good (M. Fairchild, Tiler Peck and Sterling Hyltin as Swanilda, Veyette, DeLuz and ??? for Franz)

If you've never seen Jewels, you must put it high on your priority list. In fact, even if you have seen it, see it again.

Concerto Barocco is a must see ballet.

I agree with abatt totally. I prefer NYCB Coppelia in terms of choreography and pacing. I agree on Jewels, and aside from Concerto Barocco I'd recommend Four Temperments and Stravinsky Violin Concerto.

NYCB's Coppelia is terrific -- richer choreographically than ABT's while remaining entirely "traditional" in storytelling and tone. The finale is one of Balanchine's best. Of course in Coppelia it's important to have an engaging ballerina. I haven't seen any of the company's current Swanildas, but they certainly have a lot of excellent ballerinas suited to the role including the ones listed by Abatt...

Tiler Peck was a wonderful Coppelia the last time I saw her. As for the production except for the third act (which has some of Balanchine's own choreography) it is very similar to the ABT's production. It's basically a traditional Coppelia production with all the mime and story telling intact.