This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Graduation Ball ("Le Bal des Cadets") de Basil's Ballet Ru

Lovely! Love this ballet. The group age of the female characters is that of the one I usually identify those of the Nutcracker. That's why I never had a problem with the adults onstage. If one take,for instance, the dancers at MCB, there would be no problem at all making them play young adolescents. They are so tiny in real life..! Now ,with dancers like Part or Gomes..that's a different story.

The Drummer Boy Solo. such jaunty music, and the early experience of choreography for the Guys, and the lovely melody of the Sylphide and the Scotsman Pas de deux. This was during the time of my introduction to the world of Ballet, an enjoyment I have cherished for all of my life, and which is still close to my heart today.

The problem with reviving these 'old ballets' is, I suspect, that we think the version we saw was the best! I certainly feel that way about my version by the then named "Ballet Theatre"---the cast included David Lichine, Riabouchinska, Alicia Alonso, Rosella Hightower and the sexiest drummer boy, ever - John Kriza.

and I might add - Eglevsky and Tommy Rall were sometimes cast members......