This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

As Grigorovich is now eighty nine and has been increasingly frail for some years, why should he be mentioned in a documentary about the current state of affairs in the company?

Frail or not, he and his cohort are still a potent force in the company.

Spartacus travels...and some of G's productions of nineteenth-century ballets. His works and productions have also been featured, including Legend of Love, in the international HD broadcasts.

(At the Mariinsky Fateyev has said he hopes to bring Legend of Love on tour soon. I have been wondering if it will turn up at Kennedy Center on their annual visit.)

As Grigorovich is now eighty nine and has been increasingly frail for some years, why should he be mentioned in a documentary about the current state of affairs in the company?

Grigorovich is still hugely influential within the company - that's why!

I was in Moscow during February and attended a dress rehearsal of Raymonda at the New Theatre, and Grigorovich, at his advanced age, was prowling around the auditorium, talking to dancers, coaches and onlookers. During the rehearsal itself, he stood at the back, issuing instructions in a Far From Frail voice, and judging by the reactions of dancers, he is held in CONSIDERABLE awe, respect and, I think, some element of fear also! Great character and great man. Bolshoi theatre is holding a special festival of "his" ballets throughout January and February to honour his 90th birthday.