This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thanks James. The Het Nationale Ballet has been performing Balanchine for quite a while now - since something like 1961. I'm not sure who would have been the repetiteur - Patricia Neary? But that might have been too early for Neary to be around.

Anyway, I think they look quite comfortable and relaxed with the works now.

I like them quite a lot -- unlike the YT commenters, I think theylook like they're enjoying htemselves. THe jumping girl looks SO MUCH like Marisa Lopez, who used to dance with SFB, it's a joy to seee her up there, dancing so joyously -- she isn't stretching her ankles a lot, but she's dancing with her WHOLE body in a way I really enjoy. Also, the Patty girl is very appealing; it's only the Marni girl who's unable to throw her pelvis around. But then, I've seen Elizabeth Loscavio dance this role, and nobody can measure up to the wit sensuality, and preposterousness of that -- it's as if ROssini had written it,the way she danced it, we were screaming.

The cameraman isn't doing any favors to the boy, who's unfortunately got a nose that's in the way of his smile but a REALLY good partner.

I love this ballet.

To anyone else who loves Who Cares, please, try to find the CBC recording from when it was new -- KARIN stole hte show. The steps have been changed, but she just horsed around and it was out of this world -- none of those jetes battus, but man could she jump, and it was a house afire. And biding my time, the boys' dance, wasn't a bunch of bankers but Astaire-ish hoofers, sweeter guys, in light-colored trousers so you could see their legs. And Jacques was almost a lil Abner, he was so sweet cute and hunky , not corny exactly but very very appealing and "innocent." A wonderful wonderful thing.

to be sure, Paul, the CBC recording is a treasure, but it was filmed w/ Bonnefous, not d'Amboise, who must have been indisposed. otherwise full first cast, complete w/ the soon dropped "Clap yo' hands" segment as well.

here's the JRDD NYPL cat. entry:

Le New York City Ballet: Une école, un style, une compagnie, un repertoire: 1971. 66 min.
Notes : A production of Radio-Canada, telecast on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, 1971. Text: Jean Basile. Narration in French: Leo Illial.
Choreography: George Balanchine. Performed by the New York City Ballet. Pianist: Gordon Boelzner.
SUMMARY: A documentary about New York City Ballet (with still photographs and films of rehearsals), the School of American Ballet, company management and personnel. Includes three ballets by George Balanchine, who appears in rehearsals.
: CONTENTS. - Reel 1. Tarantella. Music: Louis Moreau Gottschalk; performed by Patricia McBride and John Clifford. Movements for piano and orchestra (Image appears on film in reverse of actual performance positions). Music: Igor Stravinski; soloists: Kay Mazzo and Anthony Blum. Who cares?. Music: George Gershwin; soloists: Patricia McBride, Marnee Morris, Karin von Aroldingen, Jean Pierre Bonnefous

I'm sorry, everybody -- and thanks, RG --

Though that's scary -- it is SO easy to imagine d'Amboise in the role, I'd swear I've seen him do it. Is there no recording out there that shows him dancing the role? I see from Googling that he's doing coaching sessions for archival purposes -- which I would certainly love to see, and maybe that's enflamed my imagination. It's been a long time since I watched that tape, and the memory plays tricks. I've noticed, my imagination is often stronger than my memory.

I'd still swear that's Marisa Lopez with Het.

the d'Amboise WHO CARES? archive taping took place last Mon. Nov. 18.

i was unable to go, but a colleague said it was good.

he danced this role until near the end of his time at NYCB.

i don't know of any films of him in the part.

But then, I've seen Elizabeth Loscavio dance this role, and nobody can measure up to the wit sensuality, and preposterousness of that -- it's as if ROssini had written it,the way she danced it, we were screaming.

To anyone else who loves Who Cares, please, try to find the CBC recording from when it was new -- KARIN stole hte show. The steps have been changed, but she just horsed around and it was out of this world -- none of those jetes battus, but man could she jump, and it was a house afire. And biding my time, the boys' dance, wasn't a bunch of bankers but Astaire-ish hoofers, sweeter guys, in light-colored trousers so you could see their legs. And Jacques was almost a lil Abner, he was so sweet cute and hunky , not corny exactly but very very appealing and "innocent." A wonderful wonderful thing.

Loscavio was indeed divine in this, as she always was in everything I ever saw her dance. What a loss it was when she left for Hamburg. She even did almost all the steps in the variation (unheard of after Morris, particularly after Watts got done destroying this among many other roles....)Acco

von Aroldingen indeed dances very well in the CBC filming (Croce says flatly, and I believe it, that vA later TRASHED the beautiful part Balanchine gave her.) but she hardly steals the show from the dazzling, brilliant, and vastly underrated Morris. According to the original cast and everyone who ever saw the ballet when he was still able to perform it, no one else has ever really danced the boy's part like d'Amboise, which is very sad. He was irreplaceable in many ways.