This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

A digest version of the Dutch National Ballet's 2013 opening gala is available for viewing on demand. For now I'm not being geo-blocked. Watch it while you can.

http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/afleveringen/1375883

Défilé

Grand Pas Classique, abbreviated adage and coda

Jurgita Dronina and Mathias Heymann

Ssss

Marijn Rademaker

Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux, variations and coda

Remi Wörtmeyer and Maia Makhateli

Overture

ensemble

Variations for Two Couples

Igone de Jongh and Josef Varga

Anna Tsygankova and Matthew Golding

Lollapalooza

junior company

Five Tangos, variation

Vito Mazzeo

In Light & Shadow

Larissa Lezhnina and Artur Shesterikov

Don Quixote pas de deux, variations and coda

Matthew Golding and Anna Tsygankova

complete program

http://www.het-ballet.nl/media/library/2013/09/Gala_PB_web.pdf

What a treat - thanks for the link (which is still working in the U.S.). I especially enjoyed seeing Matthew Golding in the finale. As has been discussed elsewhere on this site, he languished in the ABT corps for five years, moved to the Dutch company, and was just named Principal at the Royal Ballet. He's partnering Osipova in Sleeping Beauty next year at the ROH.

Yes thanks for the link. I haven't watched everything, but I thought "Ssss" was quite interesting, and was reminded of the recent statement by Andrew Blackmore-Dobbyn, "a choreographer should never have dancers get down on the floor without a very good plan to get them back up again, preferably with grace". And this piece plays with that notion quite a bit, and I think successfully.

Yes thanks for the link. I haven't watched everything, but I thought "Ssss" was quite interesting, and was reminded of the recent statement by Andrew Blackmore-Dobbyn, "a choreographer should never have dancers get down on the floor without a very good plan to get them back up again, preferably with grace". And this piece plays with that notion quite a bit, and I think successfully.

Doris Humphrey thought that all the interesting stuff happened in between what she called "the two deaths" -- the absolute vertical and the absolute horizontal.