This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Yulia Stepanova

tamicute

Finally her name is back to Yulia Stepanova without (Yangurazova) next to it. Nothing against her husband, but she is known as Stepanova and after working hard to get the preferred name it is now simply "Stepanova" on both the English and Russian versions of the Bolshoi's website.

She has also been listed as dancing Swan Lake in London. Probably will be dancing it in Moscow first...

More great news! Where did you find out she is doing SL in London? And I assume/hope Odette/Odile. I don't see any Swan Lakes listed for the rest of the Bolshoi's season, so if she does Odette/Odile in London it would be the first time she does it with the Bolshoi. Of course, she danced it at the Mariinsky but the versions are different. It will be interesting to hear how she dances in the Bolshoi production.

She is just sublime in the Act 3. No wonder the audience was in awe. La Bayadere is my favorite ballet and I have watched so many beautiful transcendent Nikiyas in the final act, but this Nikiya looks surreal and yet so touchingly humane. Through the whole adagio, she naturally moves and dances as Nikiya, rather than just follow the choreography. And it's only her debut! Can't wait to see her progress in this role.

This is something that I'd like to express and this is probably as good a place as any, for what it's worth.

I attended several performances of La Bayadere at the Bolshoi (first time ever to be at the Bolshoi) just before those of Yulia Stepanova Yangurazova and Olga Smirnova and they were all —- Outstanding ! I bought my tickets before the casts were announced and was mainly hoping to see Olga Smirnova and Svetlana Zakharova. I did get to see Svetlana Zakharova.

For my first time visiting Moscow (I’ve been to twelve Mariinsky Festivals) I took the fast train. It’s about four hours and assuming a speed of maybe 150 miles per hour, average, I must have travelled about 600 miles. The center of Moscow was a very pleasant surprise —- alive, often very beautiful and prosperous. Many of the little settlements that I saw from the train did not seem as fortunate. They at times seemed rather marginal (not terrible, but marginal). I don’t know to what extent this is typical in Russia, but it surely exists to some degree everywhere.

One feeling that has occurred to me is what a lifetime experience it could be for someone living in these conditions to have seen even One of the remarkably beautiful and heart touching performances that occur regularly at theatres like the Bolshoi or Mariinsky. If I was living in one of these little settlements it would surely be something that I would never forget — an often very right headed attempt to display the beauty and love that humanity is capable of.

The voyage of Yulia Stepanova Yangurazova has been a dramatic one. She has been the object of so much drama, not of her own doing. I think that the most recent videos make it totally clear what an exceptional artist she is. She now has her chance to really shine and I wish her all the success possible. In a way, her story seems so a part of what I’ve mentioned above.

Viktoria Tereshkina once wrote that she works so hard because it means so much to so many. She said that one lady wrote her saying that she is going without a new dress in order to see her perform. This to Viktoria Tereshkina made what she does worth all the effort and commitment.

In addition to what I’ve written above, there is surely a sense of exhilaration, of transcending beauty and happiness that is also an artist’s reward.

Folks who live in possibly difficult circumstances, as I sensed in places along the ride from Saint Petersburg to Moscow, surely have their own sources of love and happiness as well. Maybe, for some, such things as the ballet are part of this. In Russia, especially, this is quite possible. It’s all part of what gives our world its ‘soulfulness.’

No matter what the journey may involve, artists such as Yulia Stepanova Yangurazova give beauty to our world —- and hopefully to their own as well.

Although in her private life she probably goes by Yangurazova, she has dropped that from her public name. She is now just Yulia Stepanova once again. She has worked hard to get that name back and I think personally we should use that for her public name.

Although in her private life she probably goes by Yangurazova, she has dropped that from her public name. She is now just Yulia Stepanova once again. She has worked hard to get that name back and I think personally we should use that for her public name.

Sounds fine to me. :)

I checked the Bolshoi's internet casting list for La Bayadere and you're absolutely correct.