This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Royal Winnipeg Ballet's Moulin Rouge to be filmed

The RWB has just announced that their Moulin Rouge is being filmed this summer and will be shown through Cineplex theatres in Canada in early 2014.

More info here: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/RWBs-Moulin-Rouge-to-hit-the-silver-screen-215539731.html

I am not a big fan of Moulin Rouge and find it frustrating that with all the really good ballets that could be preserved on film, this is presumably taking resources that would be better devoted to something else..

I am not a big fan of Moulin Rouge and find it frustrating that with all the really good ballets that could be preserved on film, this is presumably taking resources that would be better devoted to something else..

I'm going to be less diplomatic and say that I dislike Moulin Rouge intensely, so I share your frustration completely. But obviously someone persuaded someone else that it would sell. Honestly, I would prefer an all-out Vegas version with multi-million-dollar production values rather than RWB's version, which falls short on flash and fails even more miserably as choreography.

Yes, Moulin Rouge the film is one of those projects that marked the (now prevalent) tyranny of the special effects department buffoonery over all content and aesthetic considerations. I like how Wikipedia describes the film as an "Australian-American romantic pastiche-jukebox musical". Say that 10 times fast.

This is a very interesting list of cities/venues. I don't know all the place names in California -- could someone from the Bay Area take a look and tell me if there's anything close to San Francisco?

I imagine that some of these venues are independents and are booking just because someone is really interested in it, but I find some of the choices curious. In Washington state, the only venue is in a smallish town -- nothing near Seattle. And the same is true for New Mexico.