This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Florida Classical Ballet Gala Saturday June 1st at Gusman Center.

Magaly Suarez, the recognized ballet maître, will present another Ballet Gala with Florida Classical Ballet. This time, Florida Classical Ballet will present an ambitious program where the dancers will have the opportunity to exhibit their virtuosity and talent, with a cast of first class local dancers supported by superstar dancers from US and Europe, all of them idols of South Florida’s public, and some of them returning to Miami to perform on stage at the beautiful and historic Olympia Theater at the “Gusman Center for the Performing Arts" after years of absence.

The Florida Classical Ballet Gala performance will begin with a Spanish suite including the ballet “Majisimo” from Cuban choreographer Jorge Garcia, followed by Paquita Pas de Trois and Don Quixote Pas de Deux. After a short inter-mission, La Esmeralda Pas de Six will be presented, followed by Swan Lake, Le Corsaire and Romeo and Juliet Pas de Deux; to close the night a Suite of La Bayadere will be featured.

The list of guest Super Stars includes our Adiarys Almeida from Boston Ballet and Jordan Elizabeth Long, recently promoted to Soloist of the Royal Swedish Ballet; Daniel Sarabia coming back from a few years with Maurice Bejart Ballet in Switzerland; and principal dancers Joan Boada and Taras Domitro from San Francisco Ballet together with new figures like Lonnie Weeks and Elizabeth Powell.

...and principal dancers Joan Boada and Taras Domitro from San Francisco Ballet together with new figures like Lonnie Weeks and Elizabeth Powell.

I did a double take when I saw the name Elizabeth Powell - she's my favorite of the young corps dancers at SF Ballet. She was selected by Wayne McGregor to be in the first cast of his new ballet, Borderlands, this past season*. She also appears on DVD as Clara in SFB's Nutcracker production (in her younger days).

*As was Lonnie Weeks