This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Misty Copeland Book Deal

This is great news. However, I hope that, between now and the book's release, enough leading roles will be added to Misty's repertoire to add to the 'Memoires'! In other words, it seems a bit premature, unless Firebird will be considered the pinnacle of Misty's career...and I hope that that's not the case What about Nikiya, Aurora, Odette-Odille, Medora, Giselle, Masha/Sugarplum?

I like Misty's dancing, but she seems to be the most aggressive self-promoter in the dance ranks today -- Dr. Pepper, modelling, books, lots of Twitter, etc. Is this the best way to get MacKenzie's attention for more/better roles and promotion? Is she trying to make up for her late start (age-wise) in ballet? Does this reflect her southern California home environment, where aggressive self-promotion is the norm in the entertainment industry? No matter how well-organized she is, this has to be taking time away from serious coaching and the hard work it takes to get ahead and be promoted to principal, at ABT (or elsewhere?). I'm curious if others have the same impression.

Many dancers would die to get endorsements, which generally go to Principal dancers. (Most of them are print ads.) Dancers do photo shoots and interviews for "Pointe" and "Dance Magazine" as well as company sponsored ads and brochures. Lourdes Lopez, Antonia Franceschi, and Carole Divet did a spread on Fortuny dresses, I think for "Elle." There are Principal dancers all over the world that are profilic Twitters and Facebook posters. Dancers who can make a buck to support their dance income by modelling often do. Tilt Helimuts just did an art project with fellow dancers.

I don't think it takes away from their coaching or studio time to the detriment of their careers, and there are constant laments about the lack of coaching provided at ABT.

Based on the limited exposure I've had to her performances, where she would be compared to others of her rank, I think she is a good dancer, but she hasn't struck me as a Principal Dancer or as a Nikiya, Odette, or Giselle, as I've never been overwhelmed, and there has always been at least one other Soloist or corps member with whom I've been more impressed. It has nothing to do with technique, but more to do with movement quality, musicality, and phrasing.

I like Misty's dancing, but she seems to be the most aggressive self-promoter in the dance ranks today -- Dr. Pepper, modelling, books, lots of Twitter, etc. Is this the best way to get MacKenzie's attention for more/better roles and promotion? Is she trying to make up for her late start (age-wise) in ballet? Does this reflect her southern California home environment, where aggressive self-promotion is the norm in the entertainment industry? No matter how well-organized she is, this has to be taking time away from serious coaching and the hard work it takes to get ahead and be promoted to principal, at ABT (or elsewhere?). I'm curious if others have the same impression.

I disagree with labeling Misty "the most aggressive self-promoter". Of course, I don't know first hand what her intentions are or not, but to me I see her various activities as merely taking advantage of digital media and the growing interest in dance these days (dance on its own and using dance in media) for other reasons than getting promoted to Principal. It's a chance to make some more money which, let's face it, most dancers could use (even a soloist with ABT), plus she's spoken many times in interviews about her wanting to be a positive role-model for minority girls who want to study or pursue ballet as a career, especially African-American girls. Being in a commercial for a well-known product (with her voice-over talking about the Boys and Girls club and making ballet accessible to "everyone") certainly puts her face out there for hopeful minority girls. How often do we see images of professional minority ballerinas? I have a feeling that she's been sought out aggressively to BE this role model. The time is ripe for it. Also, she has come across to me in her interviews as not only well-spoken but very smart and self-aware. So, I don't get the impression that her media activities are an attempt to get promoted - I think she's smart enough to know that that won't do it.

Though I agree that she seems to be the most visible these days, other dancers, as Helene has mentioned, have also been exploring media and other outlets over the years. Julie Kent was a print model for Coach many years back. Daniil Simkin is a prolific Twitter user, as are many other dancers. Alex Wong (from Miami City Ballet) and Danny Tidwell (from ABT) were on So You Think You Can Dance several seasons ago. That exposure arguably worked well for Alex who developed quite a following and who went on to become part of the Newsies Broadway cast.

I think it's something to consider that most of us (dancers and non-dancers) realize that we live in a media-driven world, for better or for worse. It can be worth your while to jump on the bandwagon no matter what your profession is. And, for dancers who have such short careers, getting involved in different mediums/areas now while they're still at the height of their performing career, can bode well for them when it comes time to retire and they already have other "career" experience in something else, whether that be in writing books, modeling, digital media, etc. Opportunities for retired dancers have expanded vastly in the past several years. No longer is coaching and teaching the only route, especially for women. Ellen Bar, who was a soloist with NYCB, started getting involved with film-making before she retired and was able to transition immediately to NYCB's director of media projects upon leaving the stage.

Perhaps all of Misty's ventures are just a way to do more now than simply performing. I don't think it makes her any less committed to her craft (not now anyway). Who knows - she may realize that her chance of being promoted are nil, so she's going to do the best with what she has now and make the most of any other opportunities that come her way.

I don't begrudge any dancer taking advantage of opportunities to earn more money. Baryshnikov has been a master at that himself (perfume, clothing line, children's books, e.g., in addition to an array of dance books, videos, etc.), although this started when he was already an established name. Actresses and athletes of both genders also tend to have very short careers and do the same thing. Having spent half my adult life in southern California, the self-promotion patterns can be pretty oppressive, though.

I do wonder if she's also signalling (perhaps inadvertently) that she knows she won't make principal at ABT, so she's opening up other career possibilities for herself, which is also okay. ABT is reportedly weak on providing coaching, but we know that at least some dancers find that on their own if classical dancing is a main aim in life.

All that extra stuff does take time, so one must make decisions about priorities. I do remember a gala (in Florida?) where she cancelled "due to injury" but turned up a few days later at a gala in another part of the country in fine form. I don't know the story behind that but it hints at least at the possibility of being over-extended. As for Simkin...oh, boy...let's not go there...

I don't see why Copeland agreeing to write (or "write") a couple of small-scale books is necessarily more detrimental to her career focus than flogging clothes and perfume (and Baryshnikov took breaks to make movies as well). There is special interest in Copeland's progress for obvious reasons and that's hardly her fault. That she hasn't yet been promoted to principal isn't necessarily relevant, unless the title of her memoir is "How I Made It."

I do think the writing of children's books has become something of a racket, though.

I think all dancers should take advantage of any opportunities that come their way. It is for the individual to judge if it is detrimental to their performance ability. Sports figures have the same kinds of choices all the time. I also think that Copeland being black, has a unique position and opportunity to be a role model for and communicator to minority kids and their parents. I'm glad she is out there doing it. I'm not a big fan of her dancing, as many of you are. I actually don't view her as principal material, but that is in some ways beside the point.