This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thanks for posting, MH. A very interesting detail comes with the feud initiated between Massine and Kirstein when both offered Alonso a contract in 1939, the first one as a leading dancer and the second in the corps, utimately resulting in Alonso's decision to stay with Ballet Caravan.

Vintage "Apollo" from 22:01 to 22:06...! flowers.gif

What a treasure of a film! Thanks for sharing. I also love the T&V sequences, especially the opening measures danced by Alonso & Youskevich. Judging by her T&V solo, one can tell that Alonso would absolutely hold her own against any female who has subsequently danced the role. Razor sharp.

What a treasure of a film! Thanks for sharing. I also love the T&V sequences, especially the opening measures danced by Alonso & Youskevich. Judging by her T&V solo, one can tell that Alonso would absolutely hold her own against any female who has subsequently danced the role. Razor sharp.

God bless Ann Barzel! tiphat.gif

Looking at the T&V clips, one of the things I can tell now is the way ballerinas have slowed down the crazy sequences of super fast chainee turns during that second solo. There is something in the way Alonso does the turns-(which are very characteristic of hers also during Giselle's Pas Seul final seconds)-by almost not looking at all around, arms very close and folded to her body, tiny space between steps and LOTS of speed...VERY centered and precise. That's one detail I see missing now from the variation.

All the other footage is precious too. Nijinska's Fille with Kriza, the ballerina in Petroushka, her 1957 appearance at the Bolshoi, the pics in Fall River Legend, Billy the Kid, Aleko, Chopiniana alongside Markova, and many others with different partenaires at times-(Dolin, Massine, Youskevitch, Romanoff, Robbins, Eglevsky, Bruhn, Kriza, Semenov, etc...).

Not quite a documentary, not quite an infomercial, it does have some great, all-too-brief clips.

There's a glimpse of Ballet Caravan Charade (Christensen?) near 18:03, and Ballet Theatre Petrushka at 24:38. The Theme & Variations clip (Ann Barzel's?) appears at 26:58, where the dancing looks more relaxed than it's presented today, more lived in. There's also a feeling of theater space on Ballet Caravan and Ballet Theatre stages that's smaller and more intimate and that highlights the essemble work nicely.

There is a fun introduction to "This Is Your Life"at 30:20 – an early tv series that had more of its share of awkward and embarrassing moments – and a second clip, of Sophie Fedorova, at 12:38.

I wonder if they presented the original gorgeus backdrop in the recent staging in Havana for Valdes/Gounod, and the headpiece for the ballerina and bonette for the danseur. I had been told before that the complete film of the performance existed, but had never seen any footage. It that's the case, then the ballet is well preserved.