This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I saw this film a couple of weeks ago, and liked it very much -- one of the unexpected pleasures of it is a ballroom scene with a significant chunk of pretty authentic mid-18th century social dance. It isn't often that you get accurate reconstructions in costume dramas, so this was a special treat.

I saw this recently. Thank you for the recommendation, sandik. Not the liveliest example of costume drama I’ve ever encountered but a respectable – perhaps a trifle too respectable -- rendering of a fascinating historical anecdote. Mads Mikkelsen’s unconventional appeal holds limited appeal for this viewer, which didn’t help, probably. Alicia Vikander is good as Caroline Mathilde, if a bit on the bland side, and believable as a teenaged queen (sad to think Caroline never made it past her early twenties). Vikander and Mikkelsen do not make the sparkiest of couples. There’s no suggestion that Struensee’s romantic interest in the queen might also contain an element of self-interest, which might have added some complexity to the story. The peacock part belongs to Mikkel Følsgaard as the is-he-crazy-or-isn’t-he Christian VII (“I want a fun queen!”) and he’s a lot of fun to watch, with a fabulous giggle.

I had a vague recollection of the story before from a fictionalized version read when I was in my teens (I’m reasonably sure it was Norah Lofts’ The Lost Queen). I think there's a ballet in the Royal Danish Ballet's repertory as well.