This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT in Barcelona Oct 2012

I just noticed on the ABT calendar that the company will perform in Barcelona in late October. They are doing Don Q. Here is the link to the calendar.

http://www.abt.org/c...tdate=10/1/2012

Notably, Boylston is debuting as Kitri. The lady is well on her way. I think she would be very good in that role.

True to her word (and her contract) Semionova will appear on the Barcelona tour.

Also, the lucky Spaniards will see Osipova and Vasiliev together in this ballet. Please, please let us see them together at the Met next season in this.

Nice that Cornejo gets to open the run...though I'm assuming ABT management is playing off of the fact that the theater at which that are performing is the one Corella's company is now based out of. I guess ABT is lucky Corella didn't exercise a non-compete clause????

Cornejo has not performed with Barcelona Ballet for some time (since his split with Carmen?). Corella wouldn't have any non compete clause to enforce, because I doubt he has any recent/current contracts with any ABT dancers. Non compete clauses always have very specific limitations on the time period during which they are to be in effect; otherwise they are unenforceable. Even if Corella had such a clause in a prior contract w. Cornejo from years ago, it would not be enforceable now.

I do feel sorry for the fact that Barcelona Ballet has competition in its home base from ABT, but that's life ...

I think DQ casting in Barcelona will be a pretty good indicator what casting we are going to see at the Met 2013.

Given the state of the Spanish economy, I am surprised to find the tickets are pretty well sold 3 months in advance. Some performances are 75% full already.

Given the state of the Spanish economy, I am surprised to find the tickets are pretty well sold 3 months in advance. Some performances are 75% full already.

ABT has not announced any touring plans for the next year anywhere else in Europe, so I wouldn't be surprised if ballet lovers in neighboring countries to the north bought many of those tickets. It would make for a nice weekend trip, especially with Osipova/Vasiliev listed for Saturday evening.

I just noticed on the ABT calendar that the company will perform in Barcelona in late October. They are doing Don Q. Here is the link to the calendar.

http://www.abt.org/c...tdate=10/1/2012

Notably, Boylston is debuting as Kitri. The lady is well on her way. .....

WOW. I agree - she has potential for greatness in the role. By the way, I see that Kajiya and Simkin are dancing the DQ leads in Barcelona. Is this a debut for either of them? (Sorry, I was out of the loop for a long while re ABT!)

Kajiya and Simkin had their debut in DonQ at ABT together during the last run of DonQs at the Met. I saw their performance. Simkin did an excellent job. I thought Kajiya was was in over her head at times, especially in terms of technique. (I think Simkin has done DonQ numerous times at other companies. In fact, I think there may be a DVD out there of him as Basilio.)

I don't think Gomes has previously done the role of Basilio in its entirety at the Met. He danced one act at the Alonso gala, but has he previously danced the entire role? He was a great Espada. I guess he won't be doing that role anymore.

I don't think Gomes has previously done the role of Basilio in its entirety at the Met. He danced one act at the Alonso gala, but has he previously danced the entire role? He was a great Espada. I guess he won't be doing that role anymore.

Gomes did Basiliio with Ananiashvili back in 2003 at the Met:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/23/arts/ballet-theater-reviews-taking-wing-as-sorrowful-queen-or-girl-in-love.html

I was actually surprised to see this turn up in a NY Times search. He must have been fairly new as a principal at that point.

(I think Simkin has done DonQ numerous times at other companies. In fact, I think there may be a DVD out there of him as Basilio.)

I don't know about a DVD, but Simkin has his own YouTube Channel and has a lot of clips posted. Here's one in Lithuania from 2007:

Don Quijote seems a strange choice of ballet to bring to Spain. It's not like the world is suffering from a scarcity of that particular work.

I'd love to know the rationale for this. Of course, all the stars who have committed to Barcelona do guarantee big ticket sales.

I just wish a full-length that is less cliched and more adventurous (interesting? rare? .... dear I say, great?) could have been chosen instead.

Don Quijote seems a strange choice of ballet to bring to Spain. It's not like the world is suffering from a scarcity of that particular work.

I'd love to know the rationale for this. Of course, all the stars who have committed to Barcelona do guarantee big ticket sales.

I just wish a full-length that is less cliched and more adventurous (interesting? rare? .... dear I say, great?) could have been chosen instead.

I expect word has filtered through about just how much the Spaniards love Don Q. and after all it is set in Barcelona so what could be more appropiate?

Of course, all the stars who have committed to Barcelona do guarantee big ticket sales.

I daresay you answered your own question.

I know we love to be cynical here, but I hardly think that Boylston, Kajiya or Simkin (Youtube channel notwithstanding), count among the luminaries of the ballet world, booked to guarantee massive bank.

Not to knock them, but lets be realistic. I'm starting to feel like everything is a giant conspiracy theory....

Of course, all the stars who have committed to Barcelona do guarantee big ticket sales.

I daresay you answered your own question.

I know we love to be cynical here, but I hardly think that Boylston, Kajiya or Simkin (Youtube channel notwithstanding), count among the luminaries of the ballet world, booked to guarantee massive bank.

Not to knock them, but lets be realistic. I'm starting to feel like everything is a giant conspiracy theory....

No conspiracy theory here. In my opinion, Cornejo, Gomes, Herrera, Osipova, Semionova, Vasiliev and, yes, Simkin are all "names" in the ballet world who will put rear ends in seats. But, we may just have to agree to disagree on this point. smile.png

Cornejo is being replaced by Cory Stearns on opening night in Barcelona, partnering Reyes. Cory is replaced by James Whiteside on Oct 28, dancing w. Paloma.

:-((( I'm going tomorrow (and Saturday and Sunday :-) ) and I wanted to see my belowed and much admired Herman... Is he injuried? I hope he is not!

Anyway Cory/Xiomara will also be great, I'm sure :-)

Many of us are going many days but I have a friend from Valladolid (center of Spain) who is already arriving tomorrow and will attend ALL performances yahoo.gif

I also noticed that Cory will be replacing Marcelo with Polina on Friday.

This is the old sunday. I forgot my password, and do not have access to my old e-mail address, so I'll use my real surname in its original language. I am not related to the famous tenor Plácido Domingo, but it seems that this surname is useful for obtaining a better treatment from staff at the Royal Opera House innocent.gif .

I've been somewhat estranged from the art lately (I missed the Mariinsky tour at Barcelona, even), but after reading in the local paper that my beloved couple of principals Osipova and Vassiliev would be performing, I bought a couple of orchestra tickets immediately, and shangaied a very willing cousin.

About DQ, I've seen a couple of Bolshoi's DQ in London two years ago, and the Baryshnikov video. I'm also familiar with Corella and Herrera Grand Pas.

Now, I'm at home after watching ABT's Don Quixote, starring Osipova and Vassiliev, reconciled with dance, and back unto the breach.

Liceu was quite full - I could not see any empty seat.

The current version of ABT's DQ is beautiful, funny, moving, and highly recommendable. However, I missed that variation with cups that Barysnikov used to do - probably it was meant only for Misha.

America friends, I'm sorry, but I liked more Bolshoi's version - that scene in first act with the bulfighters flapping their capes while Kitri makes her chaînés tournes (I think that is the correct term - corrections welcome!) is definitively more appealing, and the not-so-good quality of the performance of the music probably did not help.

Another thing that nags me a little bit is that Osipova's ballon seems to have decreased slightly - but that could be also a optical illusion because at ROH I was much closer to stage than tonight. However, the bravura of both her and Vassiliev keeps they in the category of forces of nature, and that could be seen in the astronautic jumps and turns of Vassiliev, the dizzy fouettés of Osipova in the final Grand Pas (I think I saw a quadruple, at least), and a couple of hair-raising jumping dives.

Secondary roles were very well danced, with special mentio to Sascha Radetzky's Espada, Stella Abrera's Streetdancer, and the two flower girls played by Sarah Lane*, and Luciana París.

I think there were two or three curtain calls, and half the public in the orchestra stood up. Not bad. Not bad at all.

I saw briefly CarolinaM, and the rest of the old Spanish gang last seen in London and went with my cousin, and her husband to wait at the side entrance for the fans to fall upon the unsuspecting (well, perhaps they should suspect a bit ) O&V. They were absolutely charming, addressing the demands of the fandom. There was a cute scene with four girls, all sporting face-splitting grins, next to Osipova in order to have a picture taken. Even yours truly was photographed (by coz's hubby) next to Natalia. I'm a happy bean! happy.png

Of course I was not expecting them to remember me from London, but was nice to see Osipova giggling when I commented favorably on the quality of her English.

This has been another unforgettable evening.

* I regret not thinking in expressing my sympathy to Sarah Lane about the Black Swan affair.

Just wondering...Did anyone from ABT say hello to AC while they were in town? Or visit his new studio/school?

(sorry, I've been away for so long. Computer access issues, business trips away, and now weather. Hope all BA members on East coast have suvived/are surviving these recent storms. My home was ok--only small puddle in basement and a few branches in yard.)

I would like to share with you a bit about ABT's DQ and the three performances I had the opportunity to attend at El Gran Teatre del Liceu in Barcelona.

First of all I think it's really a pity that the Liceu brings ABT just when Angel Corella is not with the company anymore and now when the economy is so damaged. Ok, of course it has been a gift for us balletomanes to see ABT’s DQ but I hope they will program the Barcelona Ballet next season as this is the company we have been expecting for ages and it should be Liceu's company and even more taking into account that all tickets were sold out for their Swan Lake in February while ABT's had some performances not full at all despite the different stars casted for each one of them. Ángel was not even in the audience as he was dancing the Dance of the Hours of La Gioconda in Rome with Letizia Giuliani.

I have to say that I didn't like ABT's DQ settings. To start we see that so sad image of a bull being tortured in a city that declared to be against bullfighting (in the middle of a strong controversy) one year ago. This seems not to be a great idea (yes, I know, DQ is about toreros and so on, but that "painting" in the fan was hurting sensibilities, I'm sorry). I think they didn't bring all the original settings, I only recognized from Barisnykov original’s (VHS I have of this production) that first curtain I told about and those garlands that seemed more appropriated for Christmas time. What we saw at el Liceu at the bottom of the stage was a building remembering.... Istambul!!! Not Seville where I think this production is supposed to take place (even if in Cervantes book there’s no mention about Seville). Anyway...

Let's focus on the dance. It was really a pity that for the opening night Herman Cornejo was injured. Cory Stearns who replaced him in a short notice has very good physique, he is smart, handsome and certainly with more time for rehearsals he would have done very well. His partnering with Xiomara was not sure and in the second porté of the two spectacular ones in first act he failed and I think this conditioned all the performance as far as pdd were concerned. Xiomara was brilliant in her solos with a spectacular final fouetés, including her arm raised while moving the fan. Cuban apotheosis that lead the audience to applaud enthusiastically.

Aside of Xiomara, that first night we also were captivated by Sarah Lane, already known at el Liceu because she was the first Odette / Odile in Swan Lake by Corella’s Barcelona Ballet in February this year. Stella Abrera, also recognized as usual guest artist in the small group Angel brought to Spain, mainly Catalonia, before setting his company, was another must of that opening night.

Sarah was a lovely cupid or "Amour", as we read in the program. Her dance was light and enchanting, extremely quick , her tips barely touched the floor. Stella for her part in the double role of Mercedes and Queen of the Dryads showed high class appearance on stage in all aspects, technically and interpretive, she took a well-deserved ovation. Yuriko Kajiya and Melanie Hamrick as the two friends or "Flower Girls" were very beautiful in their variations.

In the role of Espada it was difficult to recognize the Sascha Radetsky we remembered from Central Stage. Also, why in this version Espada’s layer is so small? I din’t like this part, toreros do not use layers neither knives, but a kind of, I guess, “banderillas”…. Honestly all that was not very convincing neither their bright blue and deep-red suits.

Saturday night was one of the most expected shows. Ivan Vasiliev and Natalia Osipova danced the main roles. And they didn’t deceive. It was about an absolute demonstration of the typical bravura of the two stars of the moment. Their pas de deux was the Russian version of their original company, the Bolshoi. We enjoyed their performance, we knew what we were going to see and knowing the weaknesses, in our opinion, of this production, we forget about and focused only on the dance. Vasiliev is a marvel of virtuosity as also Natalia is and in a ballet as Don Quixote one can better accept a certain lack of style. Nevertheless Natalia pleasantly surprised by her containment in the second act. As partenaires they perfectly fit and they offered an absolutely convincing rapport.

The other main roles were almost all danced by the same cast. Sarah Lane was fantastic again, this time as one of the flower girls, Gemma Bond being "Amour." Luciana Paris as the other friend (or flower), was also very nice to see.

And on Sunday afternoon, closing the shows, there was the quintessential ABT’s Kitri: Paloma Herrera. Born to dance, as defined by the local press, Paloma showed great class and mastery of a role for which she is world famous. It is a thrilling experience to see the Argentine star to tackle this role. Her developpés have the majesty of the great artist, her balances, her fouettés and pirouettes, her perfect feet. And her understanding of a role that, despite she has danced so many times, she continues to give it the perfect sense. That was the best ABT’s performance I saw. James Whiteside is a dancer to keep track of. Aside from his undeniable talent and ability to address the technical difficulties of the character, he immediately captures the attention and conveys to the viewer. Handsome and delicate partner to Paloma they created a really seductive climate that transcended and captivated audiences.

Veronika Part assumed the dual role of Mercedes and Queen of the Dryads and it has been really a pleasure to discover this great ballerina. I liked much more the Espada of Alexandre Hammoudi . Sara Lane as "Amour" was totally captivating again. She is a wonderful dancer and it is a delight to see this small ballerina growing on stage.

The two "flower girls" were Isabella Boylston and Christine Shevchenko, both very good.

Obviously, each one of the shows had its own attractive and we celebrated that great opportunity to discover the amazing dancers of the great NY company, even if some of them we were already familiar because of Angel Corella. We never will stop praying the Liceu and the Catalan cultural leaders, to support our company Ballet, Corella’s Barcelona Ballet. If for the time being it can’t be the titular company at least that they schedule them every season. We all will gain.

For more info and for those understanding Spanish you can visit the Spanish site “Ballet y más” were we have also published an interview with Paloma Herrera.