This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2013 Met Season--Pre-Season and General Info

Yes, that is indeed Hallberg in the photo. huh.png

Part of the frustration here is that the ABT fans only get to see Hallberg for a potential maximum of 8 weeks during the Met season. He has become too famous to bother with the ABT fall rep weeks in New York. He was not cast in either Syliva or Sleeping Beauty (the final 2 weeks of the ABT Met season). I presume this was because of his desire to perform w. the Bolshoi, since he has performed SB at ABT many times. (I think he has also done Sylvia at ABT.) Now we're learning that he's chopping out an additional 2 weeks of his ABT season for undisclosed reasons. wallbash.gif

But do note that casting is missing from several performance.

No, it appears that the list is more or less complete. The only one missing is the August 15 performance of Swan Lake, which had previously been announced to star Olga Smirnova and Semyon Chudin.

I'm confused -- I'm not seeing any cast for SB on August 7 or 9 -- is it posted somewhere else? That's one of his roles with them. http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/the-sleeping-beauty-by-yuri-grigorovic

I'm confused -- I'm not seeing any cast for SB on August 7 or 9 -- is it posted somewhere else? That's one of his roles with them. http://www.roh.org.u...yuri-grigorovic

Follow the link to Facebook.

https://www.facebook...475849139138467

Seems odd that the ROH site (where you buy the tickets) hasn't filled in those dates. I don't know the recent casting practices at Bolshoi, but when they visited Orange county/Segerstrom in spring 2010, the casting changed regularly in the weeks before they arrived. They even changed out the entire ballet (from Bayadere to Don Q) a few months before the engagement.

That information was made public by the impressario within the last couple of hours, and it's way past business hours in London. No doubt the Royal Opera House site will be updated soon.

Of course the casting can and probably will change, but for now there is no indication that Hallberg will be participating. Other dancers initially announced that have since disappeared from the schedule are Svetlana Lunkina (for known reasons), Maria Allash, Mikhail Lobukhin and Nikolai Tsiskaridze, though Rothbart casting hasn't yet been announced. On the other hand, Ekaterina Krysanova and Dmitry Gudanov have been added.

The Facebook page also has photos of Ekaterina Shipulina as Gamzatti, a part she's not scheduled to dance in London at present, so I don't think the pictures mean much.

Part of the frustration here is that the ABT fans only get to see Hallberg for a potential maximum of 8 weeks during the Met season. He has become too famous to bother with the ABT fall rep weeks in New York. He was not cast in either Syliva or Sleeping Beauty (the final 2 weeks of the ABT Met season). I presume this was because of his desire to perform w. the Bolshoi, since he has performed SB at ABT many times. (I think he has also done Sylvia at ABT.) Now we're learning that he's chopping out an additional 2 weeks of his ABT season for undisclosed reasons. wallbash.gif

I think you are being a bit premature in your supposition that this is not due to injury.

In that interview he talks about the injuries (plural) he has been trying to recover from, which have sidelined him for much longer than expected. That, combined with the tweet of breathebreathebreathe etc. coming at the same time he suddenly vanishes from a bunch of performances at ABT and does NOT show up in the Bolshoi London casting, leads me to suspect that he has further injured himself/is not recovering as he should.

I think you are being a bit premature in your supposition that this is not due to injury.

In that interview he talks about the injuries (plural) he has been trying to recover from, which have sidelined him for much longer than expected. That, combined with the tweet of breathebreathebreathe etc. coming at the same time he suddenly vanishes from a bunch of performances at ABT and does NOT show up in the Bolshoi London casting, leads me to suspect that he has further injured himself/is not recovering as he should.

NBS Japan just posted to their website that Hallberg has had to pull out of a "Manuel Legris and friends" performance in Tokyo because of a broken fifth metatarsal that is taking longer to heal than anticipated. They quote Hallberg as follows:

"Dancing in Tokyo to the dedicated audiences there is a highlight of my year. It is with great disappointment that I have to cancel my appearance and focus solely on my recovery. Although it is physically what I must do, emotionally and artistically I only wish to be sharing my art with you all in Tokyo. As I have such enormous love and respect for you all! I will see you soon though, once all is healed and we will continue where we left off!"

The Japan performances are for April 17-20.

Is this meant to imply that it isn't injury that had him pull out of the performances in New York, as they are a month later?

It at least confirms that as of mid April, his injury is still, sadly, a problem.

Since he is listed in short works (just not full lengths) for the met season, which are scattered around the 2 pieces he pulled out of (Don Q and Corsaire), and indeed is still listed for the full lengths later in the season, what is your theory for this if not that he has pulled out due to injury?

No, it's merely meant to indicate the dates of the Japan performances, because the dates were not included in Kbarber's post. Hallberg has provided his fans in Japan with an explanation for his cancellation of those performances, and there is absolutely no reason to doubt the truthfulness of his explanation. He acted in a very classy manner by expressing his regrets to his fans.

Also, Onegin is a full evening ballet, and Hallberg is still listed for 2 performances of that ballet during Week 1 of the ABT Met season.

No, it's merely meant to indicate the dates of the Japan performances, because the dates were not included in Kbarber's post. Hallberg has provided his fans in Japan with an explanation for his cancellation of those performances, and there is absolutely no reason to doubt the truthfulness of his explanation. He acted in a very classy manner by expressing his regrets to his fans.

Also, Onegin is a full evening ballet, and Hallberg is still listed for 2 performances of that ballet during Week 1 of the ABT Met season.

Thanks for the explanation. He usually does express his regret. He's nice and does care about his fans.

I feel bad for him missing Japan. He has talked before about how much he enjoys performing there.

Good catch on the Onegins. I posted before my coffee had kicked in. Oops!

I think its a less physically strenuous role than Don Q, not sure about Corsaire. I am not really very familiar with it. But it certainly does raise interesting questions. As it is his foot that is injured, provided there aren't many jumps maybe he is remaining hopeful?

I am really surprised by the Polunin cancellation. Especially since Zelensky is involved. Igor knows the rules, and the gentlemanly thing to do was to show up in person and tell them that they had professional differences. Going AWOL will kill Ponunin's opportunities to guest elsewhere - especially at ABT.

It appears that ABT's "dynamic pricing" has been put into effect today. They warned long ago that this could happen as early as April 8 for the most popular programs. I didn't check everything, but programs headlined by Osipova-Vasiliev are seeing a big price increase. For their Don Qs on May 25 and 28, there is a $20 price increase for remaining seats in the Grand Tier, e.g. Same thing for their Corsaire June 4.

Yes, I know Hallberg is a nice guy and respectful of his fans. He's not some nutty, arrogant Diva (like Angela Gheorghiu or Sergei Polounin) who cancels on whim and couldn't care less about the consequences.

Do you know Polunin so closely? have you ever spoken to him?

Regarding Jayne following comment is well known from the very beginning that Zelensky left with Polunin, without saying word, and so leaving HIS dancer armless in at the (inexistent) mercy of Schaufuss and some reporters. Not surprisingly, a large part of the press forgot to write this small detail.

Gala casting is on the Met site:

Opening Night Gala - American Ballet Theatre

Join ABT for a sparkling Opening Night program featuring an astonishing 16 Principal Dancers. Selections of classical pas de deux from the season's full-length ballets will be performed, including Onegin Act III with Diana Vishneva and James Whiteside, Le Corsaire with Natalia Osipova and Ivan Vasiliev, The Sleeping Beauty Act III with Hee Seo and David Hallberg, plus an excerpt from Sylvia Act I with Gillian Murphy.

The evening also features exciting performances including Symphony #9, the first ballet of Alexei Ratmansky's World Premiere trilogy set to Dmitri Shostakovich's orchestral works, George Balanchine's dazzling Symphony in C, and a Pièce d'Occasion choreographed by Marcelo Gomes and performed by Julie Kent and Roberto Bolle.

Opening Night Gala Program

Onegin (Act III Excerpt): Diana Vishneva, James Whiteside

Le Corsaire (Pas de Deux): Natalia Osipova, Ivan Vasiliev

Symphony #9: Polina Semionova, Marcelo Gomes, Herman Cornejo, Simone Messmer, Craig Salstein

Sylvia (Act I Excerpt): Gillian Murphy

Pièce d'Occasion (choreography by Marcelo Gomes): Julie Kent, Roberto Bolle

The Sleeping Beauty (Act III Pas de Deux): Hee Seo, David Hallberg

Symphony in C: Paloma Herrera, James Whiteside, Veronika Part, Cory Stearns, Xiomara Reyes, Daniil Simkin, Sarah Lane, Jared Matthews