This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tribute 2012, plus 2012-2013 season to be announced

This is a brief report on Tribute, the last show of the current (2011-2012) season. Tribute was a program of three recent short works by female choreographers, designed to honor the women who founded Colorado Ballet 51 years ago, Lillian Covillo and Friedann Parker. (Personal note: I am a very new ballet fan - the only live performances I have seen are this one, and a recent Boulder Ballet program. I have slightly more experience watching ballet on video.) Although I don't feel qualified to write a detailed review, I enjoyed this show a lot. I was very impressed by the technical ability and artistry of the dancers and the enthusiasm they conveyed for these new works. I would have liked to see this program a second time. There are now several reviews of Tribute linked from the Colorado Ballet website.

Although all three ballets could be considered abstract, I thought the first work, Archetypes had the strongest "story". This work featured a ballerina in a bright red leotard who was the focus of attention of the other 16 dancers, with some dramatic sequential lifts by the men. Well, actually, two ballerinas in bright red. First one red-clad lead took center stage, then the other, then the two were both visible for a short time, but that didn't end well. The stage was plainly too small to hold both of them, and the first made a rather hasty retreat, stepping backward on pointe. The last work, Embellish, to music of Mozart including some opera arias, was the most beautiful, with (I think) a more classical style of dance than the others, and striking blue and purple costomes.

Now, on to the 2012-2013 season announcement, which I expect will be posted by the time this message is posted on Ballet Alert. I don't want to spread any "gossip", So I will merely report that at this moment, the home page shows the words "2012-2013 Season Announcement", Then, in larger type, the words "(hint hint)". Then, a photograph: a young woman with a crown on her head lies sleeping on a bed; a young man is leaning toward the young woman (maybe he is planning to wake her with a kiss, how romantic!); and a number of concerned-looking people are clustered around.

I believe the season announcement will be made sometime during the day on Thursday, April 12. They usually post a video of director Gil Boggs with that. The Sleeping Beauty "hint" has been pretty blatant at both the February and March programs. I think it's an excellent choice. They did a marvelous job with Swan Lake last October and their Nutcracker is first rate. I've seen a lot of both in my life and thoroughly enjoyed them. They brought in a corps of apprentices who were meticulously rehearsed for Swan Lake. It was a big production, well-done, originally staged by Amanda McKerrow and John Gardner.

The Tribute program with new work by three female choreographers was quite unusual. My favorite was Traveling Alone (choreographed by Amy Seiwert), although I think that had a lot to do with the extraordinary music by Max Richter. (But, one of my pet peeves: they didn't identify the name of the music!)

The third one, Embellish (choreography by Jodie Gates, assorted music by Mozart) will be performed at the Joyce June 2-3 as part of the Gotham Dance Festival: http://joyce.org/performancestickets/calendar_detail.php?event=433&theater=1

Coincidentally, the new issue of Dance Chronicle is on "'Ballet is Woman': But Where Are All the Women Choreographers?" Well, three were on view at the Tribute program!

Let me put in a plug for a little $10 fund-raiser the dancers themselves are doing Thursday night, 7-9 pm at their studios on Lincoln Street. The dancers will be performing some of their favorite excerpts. Should be fun! http://dancingoutsidethebun.com/fancy

The Tribute program with new work by three female choreographers was quite unusual. My favorite was Traveling Alone (choreographed by Amy Seiwert), although I think that had a lot to do with the extraordinary music by Max Richter. (But, one of my pet peeves: they didn't identify the name of the music!)

I also loved the music for Traveling Alone. It sounded like some sort of piano quartet.

I was a little bit disappointed with Archetypes. It lacked any significant work for the men, who were mostly used to lift the women. It got noticeably less applause than the other 2. On the other hand, the friend who went with me to the Lone Tree Arts Center performance (which curiously was never mentioned on the CB's website) said that she liked the choreography but found the (minimalist) music "grating". Archtypes was the most "modern" of the 3 works. I could never quite figure out the story.

Traveling Alone was in the middle both in the program and in style. It apparently was about a woman who was travelling in (or moved to) a foreign country and the difficulty she had adjusting to the different culture. It had the most goose-bump moments.

Embellishments was the most classical in style and had the best parts for men, and the most showy parts.

The third one, Embellish (choreography by Jodie Gates, assorted music by Mozart) will be performed at the Joyce June 2-3 as part of the Gotham Dance Festival: http://joyce.org/per...t=433&theater=1

This was probably my favorite of the 3. It gave me a little different view into Mozart's music.

Let me put in a plug for a little $10 fund-raiser the dancers themselves are doing Thursday night, 7-9 pm at their studios on Lincoln Street. The dancers will be performing some of their favorite excerpts. Should be fun! http://dancingoutsidethebun.com/fancy

Is this reserved for season ticket holders or donor?

Although I don't feel qualified to write a detailed review, I enjoyed this show a lot.

You can't do worse than I do, and we need more Denver-area posters. I started posting reviews when I barely knew what a fouette was (I never let not knowing what I'm talking about get in the way of having a strong opinion :) ).

I also loved the music for Traveling Alone. It sounded like some sort of piano quartet.

I was a little bit disappointed with Archetypes. It lacked any significant work for the men, who were mostly used to lift the women. It got noticeably less applause than the other 2. On the other hand, the friend who went with me to the Lone Tree Arts Center performance (which curiously was never mentioned on the CB's website) said that she liked the choreography but found the (minimalist) music "grating". Archtypes was the most "modern" of the 3 works. I could never quite figure out the story.

I agree with the quoted comments about the music of the Tribute pieces - I felt the music to Archetypes was harsh and repetitive (I've heard more enjoyable music described as minimalist). The choreography of this piece held my attention in spite of the music. The music to Traveling Alone sounded much more "danceable", and of course Embellishments had wonderful music because it was Mozart.

Yes, the Sleeping Beauty hints were in the Tribute program book also. I'm looking forward to this production. I've never seen a video of Sleeping Beauty, but will correct that deficiency by ordering at least the most recent Royal Ballet (blu-ray) and Paris Opera Ballet recordings.

I'm really sorry that I missed the CB Swan Lake last fall. I understand from reviews and photos that the production had a "traditional" look, which I prefer (the castle scenes looked like a fairy-tale medieval castle, the lake scenes looked like a lake in the woods). I see there is another thread about the fall 2011 Swan Lake - would love to hear more details from anyone who'd care to write. Was there anything memorable or unusual about the portrayal of the principal characters? How about secondary characters (Queen Mother, Benno)? How about dramatic "bits" that tend to vary between productions? Did the Queen Mother speak her mind, and Odette tell her story, in mime, was the mime done effectively? Did the hunters threaten to shoot the swans, how were the swans rescued? How about the new choreography of the often problematic fourth act, anything different or unique about that?

p.s. this is getting off topic (to Colorado Ballet) but I currently have seven videos of Swan Lake (3 blu-ray, 4 DVD), and I think all have major deficiencies, for reasons hashed out in the relevant threads. Maybe the best way to enjoy Swan Lake at home is to get a recording in which at least the music is well performed and recorded (maybe Makhalina / Kirov 1990), also order Prof. Wiley's book "Tchaikovsky's Ballets", then listen to the music with the picture shut off, read the book and imagine watching your ideal Swan Lake scenario, choreography, performers, and production.

No, this is open to the public. They invite everybody on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook...88635217815547/

The 2012-13 season just appeared on the Denver Post site, although I don't see it yet on the ballet company's site: http://yourhub.denverpost.com/denver/colorado-ballet-announces-2012-2013-season/3BEqKaxXDX6rFhNoUP3NBM-ugc

Sleeping Beauty: October 5-12, 2012

Nutcracker: November 24-December 24, 2012

Repertory: Rite of Spring (Tetley), Theme and Variations (Balanchine), new work by Val Caniparoli: February 22-March 3, 2013

Light/The Holocaust & Humanities Project (Stephen Mills): March 29-31, 2013, U. of Denver Newman Center

I suspect their Sleeping Beauty will be quite wonderful, based on their terrific work with Swan Lake last fall. Their Nutcracker is delightful (with lots of very clever and humorous touches to keep the adults interested). T&V is a challenge for any company. I think some of their principals (most especially Maria Mossina) are up to it.

UPDATE: The release just appeared on their web site: http://www.coloradoballet.org/about-news/colorado-ballet-announces-2012-2013-season

No, this is open to the public. They invite everybody on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook...88635217815547/

I'm not on their facebook page.

I'm glad to see the Tetley Rite of Spring in the list for 2012-13 -- Pacific Northwest Ballet did it in the recent past, but I'm not sure it will return here. And Theme and Variations is always a welcome sight!

This apparently will be the first time the CB has ever performed The Rite of Spring. (At least it's not included in the list of works they've performed on their website.)

I'm glad to see the Tetley Rite of Spring in the list for 2012-13 -- Pacific Northwest Ballet did it in the recent past, but I'm not sure it will return here. And Theme and Variations is always a welcome sight!

This apparently will be the first time the CB has ever performed The Rite of Spring. (At least it's not included in the list of works they've performed on their website.)

Another interesting historical tidbit: The Tetley Rite was performed by Baryshnikov in the late 70s at ABT, but when he took over as artistic director in 1980, all of the Tetley rep was jettisoned:

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/07/17/arts/long-absent-glen-tetley-returns.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Gil Boggs, the CB Artistic Director joined ABT in 1982, so he would not have participated in that production, but perhaps he saw it elsewhere: http://www.coloradoballet.org/company-dancers/gil-boggs

Another interesting historical tidbit: The Tetley Rite was performed by Baryshnikov in the late 70s at ABT, but when he took over as artistic director in 1980, all of the Tetley rep was jettisoned:

http://www.nytimes.c...nted=all&src=pm

PNB did his Alice a number of years ago, as well as Voluntaries -- the former directors had a good relationship with him. I'm not sure where his work is in active repertory now.

PNB did the Tetley "Alice"?!!!! I don't think I ever knew that.

National Ballet of Canada brought "Alice" to NYC in 1986. My performance list shows Kimberly Glasco as Wild Alice, Karen Kain as Alice Hargraeves, and Rex Harrington as Lewis Carroll. (John Alleyne was March Hare.) I liked it so much, I got an international money order in CAD and sent it to the company. I can't believe I missed it: it ran before I was in Seattle.

I don't know when the company premiere of "Voluntaries" was, but the last revival was in 2002, and the production before that was in 1997.

Now, on to the 2012-2013 season announcement, which I expect will be posted by the time this message is posted on Ballet Alert. I don't want to spread any "gossip", So I will merely report that at this moment, the home page shows the words "2012-2013 Season Announcement", Then, in larger type, the words "(hint hint)". Then, a photograph: a young woman with a crown on her head lies sleeping on a bed; a young man is leaning toward the young woman (maybe he is planning to wake her with a kiss, how romantic!); and a number of concerned-looking people are clustered around.

The CB web site currently lists 2 fewer dancers than were in last year's company. I believe that the company has re-grouped (the first performance is less than 4 weeks away), so either they are slow in adding the replacement dancers to the web site or they are going to go with fewer dancers this year. According to the web site, auditions for this season were held back in January and February. The 2 dancers who left are the only changes to the roster that have been shown; the 28 dancers currently listed are all back from last year..

The season opener is tonight, and I now see 29 dancers listed. Three are new names, so two additional dancers must have left (but I haven't identified them yet). Adam Still was rewarded for his strong performances last year, including playing Peter Pan in the 'A' lineup, with a promotion to soloist.