This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2012 City Center Season

I just received a brochure about single ticket sales for the spring 2012 Met season. It includes an announcement of the fall season at City Center, October 16-20, 2012. Nothing specific on rep, other than "an eclectic repertoire of one-act ballets."

The brochure also includes the dates for the Nutcrcacker at BAM: December 7-16, 2012.

Dates for ticket sales for both TBA.

I don't find any of this on the ABT web site yet, but perhaps soon.

Puzzling! The brochure I got has Firebird on the cover, "order your individual tickets today," very glossy 26 page brochure. On the inside back cover is the information about the fall and winter dates.

Yes, Nutcracker is December 7-16. No explanation for anything.

I wonder if they are going to shift more of the Nutcracker run to Washington DC. I think I heard that they had a sold-out run there last year, while BAM was far from sold out. I don't see it on the Kennedy Center's website at all, but maybe it's just too early. Or maybe they'll take it on tour to other cities?

Very disappointed by the short City Center "season" too.

I wonder if they are going to shift more of the Nutcracker run to Washington DC.

If so, not at the Kennedy Center, which presents the Ballet West version of Nutcracker next season. ABT's Nut must be traveling somewhere else in late December. (One big plus about having simple sets.)

Did everyone get CC and no one Spring? Does anyone have the gala program?

Also, I just received the NYCB brochure, offering "The Cage". Is this the same ballet that is a retelling of "Giselle" by Robbins (as per one L. Kirsten's books, I think)? I ask because the brochure only describes insects and gender battles.

The release:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE TO PRESENT THREE-PART WORLD PREMIERE BALLET BY ALEXEI RATMANSKY SET TO SHOSTAKOVICH SYMPHONIES

NEW WORK SET TO SHOSTAKOVICH’S SYMPHONY NO. 9 TO PREMIERE THURSDAY, OCTOBER 18 AT NEW YORK CITY CENTER

SECOND AND THIRD WORKS TO PREMIERE

SPRING 2013 AT THE METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

American Ballet Theatre will premiere the first of a three-part work, choreographed by Artist in Residence Alexei Ratmansky and set to symphonies by Dmitri Shostakovich, during its Fall 2012 season at New York City Center, it was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie. The first work, set to Shostakovich’s Symphony No. 9, will have its World Premiere on Thursday,

October 18. The second and third works, set to Shostakovich’s Symphony No. 1 and Chamber Symphony for Strings (Op. 110a) respectively, will receive their World Premieres during the Company’s 2013 Spring season at the Metropolitan Opera House. The complete trio of works will be presented as a full evening of one-act ballets during the Spring season.

Ratmansky’s World Premiere Shostakovich works will feature sets by George Tsypin and costumes by Keso Dekker. Tsypin previously designed the sets for ABT’s production of Othello, choreographed by Lar Lubovitch in 1997. Dekker designed Ratmansky’s Souvenir d’un Lieu Cher celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Dutch National Ballet in March of this year.

American Ballet Theatre performs at New York City Center

October 16-20, 2012. Repertory and ticket information to be announced.

Thanks for the new info! I'm surprised ABT is taking such a big risk on a triple bill at the Met-especially considering the somewhat muted response to the Firebird given the amount of publicity, but bravo. And Firebird was something we were all clamoring to see Ratmasky's take.

Also--I'm glad this topic was bumped up as I've got another tibit, and I didn't know where to put it: I was browsing the Antony Tudor Trust website the other day and it says ABT will be doing Leaves are Fading in Fall 2012 (assumingly at City Center). http://www.antonytud.../news/news.html

Leaves are Fading and new Ratmansky to Shostakovich--sounds like a very interesting City Center season.

I was thinking of trying to visit D.C. in October to see the Ratmansky Cinderella, but I gather it's the same week and a new Ratmansky to Shostakovich (plus Tudor) may be more tempting...

More detail of fall season reported by NYT: http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/28/a-new-ratmansky-work-to-debut-at-american-ballet-theaters-fall-city-center-season/?ref=dance

New Ratmansky set to Symphony No. 9 by Dmitri Shostakovich as previously announced

Agnes de Mille’s “Rodeo”

José Limón’s “Moor’s Pavane”

Mark Morris’s “Drink to Me Only With Thine Eyes”

Twyla Tharp’s “In the Upper Room"

Antony Tudor’s “Leaves Are Fading”

Official release:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S 2012 FALL SEASON AT

NEW YORK CITY CENTER, OCTOBER 16-20,

TO FEATURE WORLD PREMIERE BY ALEXEI RATMANSKY

AND REVIVAL OF JOSÉ LIMÓN’S THE MOOR’S PAVANE

COMPANY TO CELEBRATE 70TH ANNIVERSARY OF

AGNES DE MILLE’S RODEO

American Ballet Theatre’s 2012 Fall season at New York City Center opens

Tuesday evening, October 16 for seven performances including the World Premiere of a new work by Alexei Ratmansky, a revival and repertory, October 16-20.

Principal Dancers for the New York City Center engagement include Roberto Bolle, Herman Cornejo, Marcelo Gomes, Julie Kent, Veronika Part, Xiomara Reyes, Polina Semionova and Cory Stearns.

American Ballet Theatre’s 2012 New York City Center season will begin at 6:30pm on Tuesday, October 16 with an Opening Night Gala benefit. A benefit dinner at The Pierre Hotel will immediately follow the performance. For benefit tickets and information, please contact ABT’s Special Events office at 212-477-3030, ext. 3245.

WORLD PREMIERE

The season will be highlighted by the World Premiere of a new work by Artist in Residence Alexei Ratmansky. Set to Symphony No. 9 by Dmitri Shostakovich, the new Ratmansky work will receive its World Premiere on Thursday, October 18. The ballet will be the first of a full-evening of three one-act ballets which will be presented during ABT’s 2013 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House. The Shostakovich trio of works will feature scenery by

George Tsypin and costumes by Keso Dekker. Following the World Premiere

performance, the new work by Ratmansky will be given three additional performances, October 19 evening and the matinee and evening of October 20.

70th ANNIVERSARY OF AGNES DE MILLE’S RODEO

American Ballet Theatre’s Fall Season at New York City Center will celebrate the 70th Anniversary of Agnes de Mille’s Rodeo with a performance of the choreographer’s most celebrated work on Tuesday, October 16. First presented by the Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo at the Metropolitan Opera House on October 16, 1942, Rodeo features music by Aaron Copland and scenery by Oliver Smith. The World Premiere cast featured Agnes de Mille as the Cowgirl, Frederic Franklin as the Champion Roper and Casimir Kokitch as the Head Wrangler. Rodeo was first performed by Ballet Theatre in Wiesbaden, Germany in 1950. A new production, featuring sets by Oliver Smith and costumes by Santo Loquasto, was given its Revival Premiere in 1989 in St. Louis, Missouri. Rodeo will receive two additional performances on October 18 and the matinee of October 20.

REVIVAL OF JOSE LIMON’S THE MOOR’S PAVANE

A revival of José Limón’s The Moor’s Pavane, set to music by Henry Purcell, is scheduled for three performances at New York City Center beginning Wednesday evening, October 17. Last performed by American Ballet Theatre in 1981,

The Moor’s Pavane is based on William Shakespeare’s tragedy of Othello and features costumes by Pauline Lawrence and lighting by Jean Rosenthal. The Moor’s Pavane received its World Premiere on August 17, 1949 with Limón in the leading role and was first performed by ABT at the New York State Theater in 1970. The ballet will receive its Revival Premiere on Thursday, October 5, 2012 at The Richard B. Fisher Center for the Performing Arts at Bard College in Annandale-on-Hudson, New York.

Clay Taliaferro will stage American Ballet Theatre’s revival of The Moor’s Pavane.

RETURNING REPERTORY

The 2012 New York City Center season will also feature performances of Mark Morris’ Drink to Me Only With Thine Eyes, Twyla Tharp’s In the Upper Room and Antony Tudor’s The Leaves Are Fading.

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2012 New York City Center season start at $20 and go on sale by phone at 212-581-1212 and on online at www.nycitycenter.org on July 23. The City Center Box Office will open for sales on September 4. For more information, please visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

It's a six-performance season (assuming there's a Saturday matinee), so I don't think subscriptions, in the usual sense, are being offered.

City Center usually offers discounts when you buy tickets for multiple performances and the seats are in the same price category. The more performances you buy, the greater the discount.

This is City Center's pattern over many years, for many companies. I cannot promise that this policy will be in place for ABT 2012, though.

ABT has been having Wed matinees at City Center, so it will probably be a seven performance run. As noted they usually give a discount if you buy multiple performances, but they charge you a processing fee, so the discount evaporates pretty quickly. The only way you can avoid all the fees is to buy at the box office, which opens many weeks later than the online and phone sales.

Interesting rep to bring back for so (disappointly) few performances, but maybe some of this will make it to DC or LA for their 2013 tours (not holding my breath on the last one). Actually, upon checking the Kennedy Center's website, the Moor's Pavane is making it DC (along with Symphony in C...is this new news? Natalia?)

I seem to remember Xiomara Reyes as the Cowgirl in Rodeo last time...I can see Boylston getting a run at it this time perhaps?

Actually, upon checking the Kennedy Center's website, the Moor's Pavane is making it DC (along with Symphony in C...is this new news? Natalia?)
Symphony in C is not new to ABT. They did it during their 2001 City Center season.

http://abt.org/educa...hive/index.html

Oh I know that...I meant touring wise for next year. I wasn't sure if anyone had already posted what ABT was doing for their mixed bill on the DC tour.