This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

PNB Dancers Performing Elsewhere

Lindsi Dec and Karel Cruz will perform Desdemona and Othello in Gillmer Duran's "Othello" with Alaska Dance Theatre on 2-3 March:

http://www.anchorage...1871e3ce6c.html

Oregon Ballet Theatre's Artur Sultanov will dance Iago.  They will make a physically striking trio.

I'm glad in particular for Dec:  this will give her a meaty, serious dramatic role.

[Alaska Press]: Why a ballet version of Othello? Why not, say, Hamlet or Romeo and Juliet?

[Codie Costello, Executive Director]: I think it's a timely story with everything happening in our world today, and people's perceptions of each other, and sense of entitlement, and those kinds of issues. Gilmer's been exploring the themes of it for such a long time. I think it's the right story at the right time for us.

AP: How do the themes of "Othello" connect to Anchorage as a multicultural community?

CC: Well I think it fits really well. I think that trying to achieve perspective, trying to humanize the characters, that there is really less about them that's different and more that's similar. We face a lot of those issues in our own community.Also, the performing arts give people an opportunity to sit together in a space and have an experience together that allows increased cultural connections. I mean, who knows who you're going to be sitting next to in the audience, right?

Lindsi Dec and Karel Cruz will perform Desdemona and Othello in Gillmer Duran's "Othello"

Oregon Ballet Theatre's Artur Sultanov will dance Iago. They will make a physically striking trio.

Striking and tall!

The Limon company is on their 65th anniversary tour with his Othello work (The Moor's Pavane) in the repertory -- they'll be in Seattle in March. Aside from the Lubovitch ballet, how many other dance versions of the play have there been?

Lindsi Dec and Karel Cruz will perform in Lafayette Ballet Theatre's "Cinderella" on Saturday, 31 March at 7pm. The performance takes place at the Heymann Performing Arts Center. Uko Gorter, a wonderful former dancer at PNB, who now does many character roles with the company, performs Father.

http://theadvocate.com/entertainment/2371380-31/cinderella

The best quote, from Co-Artistic Director Shannon Heath:

"The story does deviate from say, Disney."

The best quote, from Co-Artistic Director Shannon Heath:

"The story does deviate from say, Disney."

Not to mention how Disney deviates from the story?

Dec and Cruz have been getting around lately -- I'm glad they've had so many opportunities.

This is something of a backwards "performing elsewhere," since I think this already took place, but I noticed when I was reading a blog posting by Daniel Duell about his experiences teaching at the Royal Danish Ballet, that in a poster advertising Ballet Chicago's production of Rubies, there was current PNB dancer Matthew Renko!

This is something of a backwards "performing elsewhere," since I think this already took place, but I noticed when I was reading a blog posting by Daniel Duell about his experiences teaching at the Royal Danish Ballet, that in a poster advertising Ballet Chicago's production of Rubies, there was current PNB dancer Matthew Renko!

Not as past as I had thought, he got a nice mention in a review here as well as the discussion here on Ballet Alert in the Ballet Chicago forum...

But not the full Sleeping Beauty as far as you remember, right?

She was not cast in 2010. I didn't see her in 2006, but I only saw two performances from that run.

I don't have my full file with me, but I do know that Mara Vinson made her debut as Aurora that year -- I don't recall Chapman in the role.

Carla Korbes and Karel Cruz performed a pas de deux from "Concerto DSCH" in Dallas for TITAS' 19th Command Performance. The article mentions that Korbes performed in the "Don Q" pas de deux, but doesn't mention a partner, who I'm assuming was Cruz.

http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainment/headlines/20130303-ballet-stars-shine-in-contemporary-works-at-winspear.ece

Edited to add: I missed this from"D Magazine'" which confirms that Cruz was Korbes partner in "Don Q."

Andrew Bartee is collaborating with modern choreographer Kate Wallich on an evening of work for spring 2014 at Velocity Dance Center. They've received a "Made in Seattle" residency grant from Velocity, a program that supports the creation of new work. They've been working together for a couple years, and showing the results around town.

Carla Korbes and Karel Cruz are scheduled to perform in New Zealand Ballet's "Swan Lake," joining Amber Scott and Ty King-Wall of the Australian Ballet as guest principals for the run. For this article, Ethan Stiefel said,

I believe that both sets of accomplished artists, alternating with superb casts from within our ranks, will inspire and entertain our audiences.

Korbes and Cruz were both injured during the last rep, and I hope they've healed. Korbes is scheduled to perform in the International Evenings of Dance at Vail right after the NZ run, and I assume she and a healthy Cruz will be cast in the PNB performances (the opening gala, "Swan Lake" Act II/"Tide Harmonic," and all-Balanchine) at the Festival.

Nice review of NZ Ballet Swan Lake with Karel Cruz as guest

"This prince, guest artist Karel Cruz, has a whimsical, vulnerable character, almost diffident. He is statuesque, with elegant legs that go on for ever as the peasants of the village dance exuberantly around him."

Another review of Karel Cruz in the NZ Ballet Swan Lake

"As Siegfried, the guest artist from Pacific Northwest Ballet, Karel Cruz, has regal bearing and command. Technically extremely strong, with soaring elevation, excellent batterie and neat placement, he is also a sensitive and caring partner. He is stronger in Act Three, his infatuation with Odile as powerfully conveyed. But in Act Two's great pas de deux, he seemed emotionally disconnected. This may well improve as the season develops."

Lindsi Dec will be dancing with Move: the company in "Pierced," a new work by director Joshua Beamish, at the Vancouver Playhouse September 7-9. The company is scheduled to perform in NYC October 26-27 (venue tba) but I'm not sure if Dec will be appearing in that gig. Beamish is one of the choreographers who made work for Wendy Whelan's recent "Restless Creature" project.