This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I received my booklet for this season of the Dutch National Ballet, and on the page with the performance dates 3 Don Q performances were marked with a *. Beneath it said that these days not all seats will be available because of DVD recording!

Perhaps 3minuteswest can tell us more?

I also wonder who will dance the leads on this DVD.. :)

The cast announced for the dates that are to be filmed are Larissa Lezhnina & Artur Shesterikov (if I remember right, I don't have the booklet with me now..)

edit: I now see that the DNB replied to someone in the guestbook on their website, and there they say the two last performances will be filmed, these are with Anna Tsygankova & Matthew Golding in the lead.

So sorry for my late reply - we've been rather busy.... filming Don Q! We completed recording this week and yes, the cast is Anna Tsygankova as Kitri and Matthew Golding as Basilio.

Ratmansky's production features two theatre performers as Don Q and Sancho Panza, which IMHO brings something special to these roles. Peter de Jong and Karel de Rooij, otherwise known in the Netherlands as Mini and Maxi, approach the roles as actors rather than dancers.

We will edit next week, and the ballet will be broadcast on Dutch TV (NTR) on Christmas Day (Eerste kerstdag). DVD and Blu-Ray release is planned for 2011, I will let everyone know when we have more information and dates.

Adrienne

This is excellent news -- we've all heard so much about Ratmansky's Don Q, but not many of us have had a chance to see it!

Hope you enjoy it Sandik. IMHO it's an excellent production and by using two actors in the roles of Don Q and Sancho Panza, Ratmansky and Dutch National Ballet brought a fresh approach.

I watched it today, and I liked it! I already saw the production live, but I thought the filming was well done, too!

It's a pity, though, that the prologue was cut. Usually when I watch a filmed Don Q I don't miss it at all, but I really liked it when I saw this one live. I noticed one other small cut; the beginning of act III (the beginning of the tavern scene in this production). No entrance of Kitri's friends - I thought it quite odd for the real action to start 5 seconds into the act.

Another thing that bugged me, in the film and in the live version, is the corps screaming "wooo!" a couple of times in the first act. You don't even hear it that hard against the orchestra, and it seems quite ridiculous really. If they're making noise then, they should do it all the time. It's a busy market square in Barcelona, after all.

I find it a very pretty production, very nice costumes and sets and it's all very colourful. I was also VERY glad to notice that the annoying sound the fans made (all of the fans were the same plastic kind, in different colours) was edited out.

The principals and soloists did a wonderful job. The leads were great technically, but they couldn't really convey their romantic love (maybe they could do so live, but I didn't really feel it on screen). I also really liked the street dancer and even more the queen of the Dryads, but I do not know their names.

It also crossed my mind that (even though I thought she did great!) they could've given some other dancers the chance to feature on the new DVD, rather than Tsygankova who is already in last year's Giselle.

I think you did a great job, 3minuteswest, thank you!

I'd very much like to see this production for a number of reasons: for professional/technical reasons of course, but also because Matt Golding is dancing. I have lots of footage of him in rehearsal and performance when he was a First Soloist at Corella Ballet, and would love to see him now as a principal. Please let us know about the availability of DVDs etc. as I doubt very much I'll ever see a broadcast (or theatrical showing) near me in the USA.

Thanks Lidewij!

It was a great pity that we had to cut the prologue, and we were very sad we had to do so. Having great performers such as Mini and Maxi as Don Q and Sancho Panza, and then cutting out the whole section where their characters are established, was heartbreaking. But unfortunately the ballet had to be severely cut down to fit the TV slot, and the decision was taken to lose acting rather than dancing. The beginning of Act III was indeed cut as you spotted, and the comedians' dance, also the beginning of Act II. Of course, the DVD/Blu-Ray will be the full, uncut version!

I'm surprised you didn't feel Anna and Matt / Kitri and Basilio's romantic love come across.... especially as they are a pair in real life! (And I know that fact has been reported in the press so I'm not divulging any secrets here!)

The street dancer, Mercedes, was Natalia Hoffmann, her partner Espada was Moises Martin Cintas, and Queen of the Dryades was 19-year old Sasha Mukhamedov, daughter of the great Irek. Another disappointment with the TV broadcast - no credits allowed! Apparently credits cause people to change channels (I disagree, I always want to know who did what) - so the only credits allowed were a couple at the beginning. Again, the full credits will be on the DVD.

thanks for sharing your comments!

Adrienne

I'd very much like to see this production for a number of reasons: for professional/technical reasons of course, but also because Matt Golding is dancing. I have lots of footage of him in rehearsal and performance when he was a First Soloist at Corella Ballet, and would love to see him now as a principal. Please let us know about the availability of DVDs etc. as I doubt very much I'll ever see a broadcast (or theatrical showing) near me in the USA.

Dear 4mrdncr,

IMHO Matt was wonderful as Basilio. I'll certainly keep you informed about the DVD / Blu-Ray release - you can also "like" the 3 minutes West page on facebook, if you use it, and all the latest is posted there.

Maybe it's just the fact that it's a film instead of a real life performance. I didn't really 'feel' the love in any of the Don Q films I saw, and when I saw it live the sparkle was just so clear and cute. It might be just me :wink:

(btw the pair I saw live was Lezhnina/Shesterikov. In that performance Sasha Mukhamedov was the street dancer and I also absolutely loved her there! I didn't even recognise her in the different costume)

Dear all,

some Don Quichot DVD & Blu-Ray release dates:

UK: March, 28

US: April, 26

Germany: April 11

Japan: Beginning of May

Benelux: Beginning of April

We hope the ballet will also be available for download in the US and Canada on April 26th.

More updates to follow when we have more info!

The DVD label is Arthaus Musik.

I was just delighted to find that the Dutch National’s Don Quixote (Don Quichot) is available as a preorder on Presto Classical’s website. Scheduled release in Blu-ray is March 28th. This is an Arthaus Musik label, all regions. $42.25 + $3.30 airmail, 5 to 7 days. 122 mins. + 30 mins. (bonus). I believe the US release is one month later; I can’t find it on Amazon yet. www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Arthaus%2BMusik/101562

Also the new Blu-ray Cinderella by the Birmingham Royal Ballet is offered preorder on Amazon to be released April 26th. On Amazon US search “preorder Cinderella Blu-ray” It was hard to find. The price is $28.99.

Dear all,

some Don Quichot DVD & Blu-Ray release dates:

We hope the ballet will also be available for download in the US and Canada on April 26th.

I'm happy to confirm that TenduTV will be handling the digital downloads for Don Q. We'll have release dates in the US, Canada and UK shortly, although we are targeting day and date release in collaboration with Arthaus's DVD/BD releases in US and Canada.

California,

The DVD / Blu-Ray release date for the US is April 26th... and it's region free so it will work in the US!

It is on Amazon - but you need to search for Don Quichot (not Quixote) - here's a link:

Don Quichot Blu-Ray on Amazon.com

A new trailer is now up on our Facebook page:

Don Q (Trailer)

I can't find this on the Amazon site. Do we know if it will be released in the US in the format that works here? (Amazon typically has a pre-sale ordering option if they know they will be stocking it later.)