This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Remembering Marnee Morris

Here's the Dance Magazine obituary, http://dancemagazine...Morris-19462011

That's a very lovely tribute. Thank you.

Somebody earlier in this thread mentioned that she was in a video of Rubies in the tall girl part. It was on a Villella documentary but not Man Who Dances. This had more dancing clips. Patricia McBride performances in Rubies and Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux and Villella does the solo from Apollo. I saw it at the Performing Arts Library at Lincoln Center.

the NYPL cat. listing fails to name Morris but this I think this is the film you mean, Dale.

Ballet with Edward Villella 1970.27 min. Notes : (Introduction to the performing arts).

: Written and narrated by Edward Villella. Choreography: George Balanchine.

: Summary: An introduction to ballet, demonstrated by Edward Villella, Patricia McBride and other artists of the New York City Ballet.

: PARTIAL CONTENTS.--Tchaikovsky pas de deux excerpt, Villella and McBride.--Pantomimic scene from Act II of Giselle, Villella as Albrecht; music by Adolphe Adam.--Solo from Apollo, Villella; music by Igor Stravinsky.--Excerpt from the Rubies section of Jewels, McBride, Villella, and artists of the New York City Ballet; music by Igor Stravinsky

also as noted on the 'ballet history and music' forum, in the recently posted scan of a photo of Balanchine's SWAN LAKE - under 'undated NYCB performance photo' - Morris can be seen in ensemble of swan maidens behind Kent's Odette to the right of the dark haired dancer (Teena McConnell)

if memory serves, I believe that Morris was married at one point to a musicIan connected to TeIji Ito, who composed the score for Jerome Robbins's WATERMILL, or perhaps i'm just recalling that Morris once played with ensemble when WATERMILL was performed at the NYSTheater, or perhaps i'm miles off...

since writing the above the following information has come in from a one-time colleague of Marnee Morris's:

<<Marnee was married twice. First to fellow NYCB dancer Roger Peterson and then later to Teiji, and had a baby with him.>>

no dates were given.

Edited by rg