This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Yeah, I know, it doesn't really fit. My rationale is that royal weddings are a form of performance art and the service included a rendition of "Jerusalem." Great dress (Sarah Burton plainly took a good look at the one Helen Rose made for Grace Kelly), and hats! hats! hats! Anyway, share your views here, or not. :)

I thought she looked elegant. I loved the tiara she/the Queen/they chose for her (the borrowed), called both the "Halo" and the "Scroll". He looked happy as a clam.

The whole thing was relatively understated and serious, despite the carriages and pomp.

The Queen looked great in her yellow. According to CBC "yellow" was the bet-of-choice for the color of her dress, even though her favorite color is blue. On the balcony after the reception, Prince Charles looked so happy holding one of the little girls in the wedding party. I think he'll make a wonderful grandfather.

I think one of the biggest appeals of the wedding was that there was so much protocol around it, there wasn't a lot of leeway. With so much Bridezilla-ism on the planet, it was a relief to see the purpose of the whole thing -- the occasion of marriage -- be front and center.

I lost the power of speech when I saw the "hats" worn by Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie!

I loved the scene where the happy couple drove off in the Aston Martin and I loved her evening dress too.

The news has just shown them disappearing off on honeymoon to a secret location in a helicopter.

I lost the power of speech when I saw the "hats" worn by Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie!

So did I! Who let them out of the house like that?

I thought Kate looked lovely and behaved with grace, inhabiting the role of princess bride with authority and calm (at times her expression reminded me of the cat that ate the canary). She actually looked happy instead of frightened, like poor Diana. I like her. But...I wish she'd had a proper makeup artist. She is radiant and fresh-faced ordinarily, but she made herself up to look so hard. I suspect it was a nod to stagecraft, and that she thought her features should be emphasized behind the veil, but (for me) it was the only off note in the presentation; a softer palette and a lighter hand would have been nice. Her eyebrows, especially, distracted me...they looked like they'd been stenciled on. She could have given Joan Crawford a run for her money!

The Queen was absolutely lovely, and the Prince Consort actually appeared to be enjoying himself. Wish the Queen Mum could have lived to witness this moment...and Diana, of course. I still miss her like crazy, and obviously William does, too.

i agree about the makeup, it made her look hard and years beyond 29.

i thought the queen looked wonderful and the yellow outfit really became her nicely.

i wasn't wild about the brides' dress, seemed nice for a country wedding but a little lacking for marrying a prince in westminster. there should have been a better way to retain her personality and fit the occasion, IMO. it wasnt bad, just didn't seem enough.

i wasn't going to wake up early but in the end i did as i've done for all these occasions since charles was crowned prince of wales (!). thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Anyone else notice how Harry and William shuffled to the altar like young upstarts in hoodies hanging out round the back of a shopping centre (mall)? Talk about seriously un-regal posture... it was borderline homo sapiens!

The dress was spot on. Hats were extremely silly. Indoor trees were a nice touch.

The BBC coverage went beyond their normal obsequiousness and became simply absurd. Especially when they started talking about social networking enhancing the royal family's fan base among 'young people' and bizarrely comparing this it to the liberating effects of social media to help young people fight oppressive regimes in the middle east (???), then failing to mention the wave of Orwellian 'pre-crime' arrests made here in the UK which ensured street theatre groups and other harmless, absurdist, completely non threatening, royal wedding non-supporters spent the wedding day in jail due to committing 'thought crimes' (free speech) about the monarchy ....... articulated via social media. :tiphat:

They really should just point the camera at events like this and not try so hard to 'make sense of it all' for us. Allow people to enjoy their own thoughts as they watch. Like filming dance - less is more!

Anyone else notice how Harry and William shuffled to the altar like young upstarts in hoodies hanging out round the back of a shopping centre (mall)? Talk about seriously un-regal posture... it was borderline homo sapiens!

Yes! Absoutely.

They really should just point the camera at events like this and not try so hard to 'make sense of it all' for us. Allow people to enjoy their own thoughts as they watch. Like filming dance - less is more!

Agree completely. I had the TV on mute until the actual ceremony was underway, just so that I could "enjoy my own thoughts" (excellent way of putting it, GoCoyote) and not have some media interpretation layered over the moment.

I didn't think Prince William's was so bad, but a friend of mine who lived for many years in England compared Prince Harry's "galumphing" gait to a rugby player's.

CBC said that because they were both in military uniform, and Prince Harry outranks Prince William, Prince William had to refer to his brother as "Sir" and obey his command ("for the only time"). There were reports passed on by CBC that Prince Harry's command was "Go for it!"

Was Harry uniformed as Commodore in the Royal Navy? That would be the only grade (and that Honourary) he holds superior to William, who was uniformed as Colonel of the Irish Guards.

Anyway, I think the Royal Wedding is indeed entirely appropriate for discussion on a ballet board, as the old ballets de cour celebrated royal things without the need for anybody actually to have to be born, die, marry, declare war, or any number of other hard-to-schedule events. The whole lead-in was a masterly demonstration of logistical triumph, getting materiel and personnel where they had to be to the nearly superhuman level of British punctuality.

I found the whole thing to be a wonderful amalgamation of the traditional and the most modern, reaching even a little beyond!

Now, I am only another mere man, but the wedding dress was stunning, wonderful! I have to agree about the hats, though. Some seriously awful ones throughout the congregation!

It impressed me that this event is highly salutary to a world sore from stressful times, and a welcome relief from all the bad news. Bravo, Britain! You have triumphed again! :yahoo:

According to Time.com

His brother and best man Prince Harry, who is a trainee Apache helicopter pilot, wore a Blues and Royals' officer's uniform in dismounted order, with a forage cap that carries a badge of the Blues and Royals and has an insignia of the Most Noble Order with the Queen's cipher. He didn't carry a sword, but he proudly wore his aiguillettes, cross belt, gold waist belt, and sword slings. And some might say his gaudier ensemble made him look a little bit like the singer Prince, but it's all about military tradition.

A link about the post-wedding parties, receptions, and speeches identifies the flower girl Prince Charles held on the balcony as the Duchess of Cornwall's granddaughter, so he already is a grandfather.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1382098/Royal-wedding-Harry-pays-tribute-William-dude--ditches-comments-Kates-killer-legs-speech-left-touched.html

I wasn't going to get up 3am in the morning to watch it live and I knew there had to be re-run. I was right and it went beyond that...it was literally no escape of the wedding as soon as I turned on the TV, on every single channel. But the best place to watch it was actually on youtube, at TheRoyalChannel. Their reboardcasting has no commentator. Just simply letting the whole event speak for itself from start to finish without missing a beat, like watching a live ballet performance :)

But the best place to watch it was actually on youtube, at TheRoyalChannel. Their reboardcasting has no commentator. Just simply letting the whole event speak for itself from start to finish without missing a beat, like watching a live ballet performance :)

Oh, how soothing and just plain nice that must have been! The rustling of fabric, the clopping of hooves, the ambient noise...lovely. On a far less happy occasion (Princess Diana's funeral), a similar type of coverage was available on C-SPAN. It gives one's mind and emotions the opportunity to synchronize.

Hats! What a moment for hats. It seems necessary to hide the forehead with the hat, if you're under 30. Cleavage may be shown, but not the forehead. What's up with THAT?

Victoria Beckham was most noticeable -- her beretta was perched almost in front of her hairline -- but keep looking, and most everybody in the fashionable set had hats growing out of their foreheads. Wonder how they kept htem on....

I thought the queen looked happy in yellow -- it looked like she was showing her approval of the match.

Victoria Beckham was most noticeable -- her beretta was perched almost in front of her hairline

Does the woman not know how to smile, even on a joyous occasion? I thought her sulk, or whatever it was, made her look ridiculous.

It was all most enjoyable. I adore pomp and circumstance, as long as some other country's taxpayers are footing the bill.

Anyway, I think the Royal Wedding is indeed entirely appropriate for discussion on a ballet board, as the old ballets de cour celebrated royal things without the need for anybody actually to have to be born, die, marry, declare war, or any number of other hard-to-schedule events.

Well, that's stretching it perhaps, but I figured a lot of BTers would be watching and enjoying the show, and it's not as if royal weddings happen every year.

I was right and it went beyond that...it was literally no escape of the wedding as soon as I turned on the TV, on every single channel.

It was a bit much, I admit. The reruns are continuing even now....

Was Harry uniformed as Commodore in the Royal Navy? That would be the only grade (and that Honourary) he holds superior to William, who was uniformed as Colonel of the Irish Guards.

Anyway, I think the Royal Wedding is indeed entirely appropriate for discussion on a ballet board, as the old ballets de cour celebrated royal things without the need for anybody actually to have to be born, die, marry, declare war, or any number of other hard-to-schedule events. The whole lead-in was a masterly demonstration of logistical triumph, getting materiel and personnel where they had to be to the nearly superhuman level of British punctuality.

I found the whole thing to be a wonderful amalgamation of the traditional and the most modern, reaching even a little beyond!

Now, I am only another mere man, but the wedding dress was stunning, wonderful! I have to agree about the hats, though. Some seriously awful ones throughout the congregation!

It impressed me that this event is highly salutary to a world sore from stressful times, and a welcome relief from all the bad news. Bravo, Britain! You have triumphed again! :yahoo:

The Bridegroom and Best Man Uniforms

Prince William chose to wear the uniform of Colonel of the Irish Guards on his Wedding Day. He is of course commissioned in all three Armed Services, and has served actively with the Army (The Household Cavalry Regiment) and with the Royal Air Force (Search and Rescue Force). The Prince chose to wear the uniform of his senior honorary appointment in the Army.

Prince Harry wore the uniform of a Captain of the Household Cavalry (Blues and Royals).

Prince William’s Uniform

Prince William wore an Irish Guards Mounted Officer’s uniform in Guard of Honour Order with a Forage Cap.

Together with a gold and crimson sash, and gold sword slings, both of which are worn in the presence of a Member of the Royal Family. The Prince of course did not wear a sword.

The Prince also wore the Garter Sash with the Wings of the Royal Air Force, the Garter Star and the Golden Jubilee Medal.

The tunic, in Guards’ Red, features the Irish Guards’ distinctive arrangement of buttons in groups of four. The buttons feature the Harp of Ireland surmounted by the Crown Imperial. The arrangement of buttons on the uniform denotes the Irish Guards’ position in the Order of Battle as the Fourth Regiment of Foot Guards.

The Insignia of the Irish Guards on the Forage Cap is the eight-pointed Star of the Most Illustrious Order of St. Patrick, and features the Regiment’s motto ‘Quis Separabit?’ (‘Who shall separate us?’).

The uniform was fitted by Kashket and Partners.

Prince Harry’s Uniform

Prince Harry wore a Blues and Royals officer’s uniform in Dismounted Review Order, with a Forage Cap.

The Prince wore aiguillettes, a cross-belt and gold waist belt with sword slings, but no sword.The Prince also wore the Wings of the Army Air Corps and Golden Jubilee and Afghanistan Campaign medals.

The Forage Cap carries the badge of the Blues and Royals, which features the insignia of the Most Noble Order of the Garter with The Queen’s cipher.

PS

Loved the wedding dress, but thought the train should have been longer and more tapered.

I thought the relaxed manner of the Princes and Catherine, denoted their contemporary personalities, which did not conflict with the movingly austere solemnity of the cathedral service and for me, added a touch of their well sought out normality, whilst living in an often seemingly well protected hothouse environment.

Edited

Harry could have worn a sword if he had wanted to, as the Best Man/Groom's Supporter is a development from the old role of Groom's Champion, whose job it was to face about during the part of the service that runs, "If any know just cause..." and face the congregation. If there were challenges to the marriage, the challenger and the Champion were to go outside and settle the matter. The Bride had a Champion in her retinue as well. The Champion used to be a part of coronations too, but the last monarch to choose one specifically was George III in 1760.

Harry could have worn a sword if he had wanted to, as the Best Man/Groom's Supporter is a development from the old role of Groom's Champion, whose job it was to face about during the part of the service that runs, "If any know just cause..." and face the congregation. If there were challenges to the marriage, the challenger and the Champion were to go outside and settle the matter. The Bride had a Champion in her retinue as well. The Champion used to be a part of coronations too, but the last monarch to choose one specifically was George III in 1760.

Prince Harry was in "Dismounted Review Order" according to my ex Household Cavalry RSM brother-in-law when swords would not be worn.

Swords were worn at the weddings of Princes Andrew and Edward, Her Majesty the Queen to Prince Phillip and George VI but they were all Naval officers and were obeying Navy Dress Regulations.

Victoria Beckham was most noticeable -- her beretta was perched almost in front of her hairline

Does the woman not know how to smile, even on a joyous occasion? I thought her sulk, or whatever it was, made her look ridiculous.

Thank you! I like her but would it kill her to crack a smile at a wedding? What a contrast between her and her husband, who always has a bright smile on his face. They are like Grand Duke Sergei and Grand Duchess Elizabeth in reverse!

Perhaps her condition had something to do with it.

See http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/apr/29/david-victoria-beckham-wedding-fashion

She's always like that -- it's part of the Posh Spice persona. Talk about taking your publicity too seriously. The Queen is more laid-back and down-to-earth than Victoria Beckham!

Thank you! I like her but would it kill her to crack a smile at a wedding? What a contrast between her and her husband, who always has a bright smile on his face. They are like Grand Duke Sergei and Grand Duchess Elizabeth in reverse!

Perhaps her condition had something to do with it.

See http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/apr/29/david-victoria-beckham-wedding-fashion

She's always like that -- it's part of the Posh Spice persona. Talk about taking your publicity too seriously. The Queen is more laid-back and down-to-earth than Victoria Beckham!

There is far to much concern regarding this minor celebrity wife of David Beckham.

Here is film of her at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13237480 exhiibiting quite normal expressions to my mind.