This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Opera & Ballet in Cinema announcement

f.y.i. (no further information)

2011 – 2012 Season Announced for

Emerging Pictures “Opera in Cinema” and “Ballet in Cinema”

Venues Double in Emerging Pictures Network During Last Year

New York – April 26, 2011 --- Emerging Pictures, North America’s largest supplier of alternative content for movie theaters, today announced the 2011-2012 schedule for the company’s highly acclaimed “Opera in Cinema” and “Ballet in Cinema” series. Including nearly 20 live HD performances broadcast from the world’s foremost opera houses and ballet companies, “Opera in Cinema” and “Ballet in Cinema” bring American audiences the opportunity to experience performances by some of the biggest stars in opera and ballet today --- all in high definition digital projection on full-size movie screens.

In announcing the 2011-2012 season, Ira Deutchman, Managing Director, noted that the company had more than doubled the number of venues with screens showing the “Opera in Cinema” and “Ballet in Cinema” performances. “This time last year,” he said, “we had just under 100 venues. The popularity of these alternative content offerings, combined with the star power of the opera and ballet performances, has brought the number of screens to over 250, including screens in the Carmike, Allen, Harkins, Marcus, Laemmle and Rave chains, as well as Cineplex in Canada.”

The network also now includes four venues in Manhattan: Symphony Space and Big Cinemas Manhattan Theater, as well as the newly added Morgan Library and IFC Center screens.

The coming season’s operas will be broadcast live from such renowned opera houses as Milan’s La Scala, the Gran Teatre del Liceu in Barcelona, Spain, and London’s Royal Opera House. Featured performances are by such international opera luminaries as Anna Netrebko, Maria Guleghina, René Pape, Angela Gheorghiu, Bryn Terfel and Vittorio Grigolo. Composers span the range from Puccini, Verdi and Rossini to Massenet, Mozart and Gounod.

The “Ballet in Cinema” season will offer audiences live performances by the world’s finest ballet companies, including Moscow’s Bolshoi Ballet, the Paris Opera Ballet and London’s Royal Ballet, with such leading lights of the dance world as Natalia Osipova and Viacheslav Lopatin of the Bolshoi and Lauren Cuthbertson and Sergei Polunin of the Royal Ballet.

The full schedule for the 2011-2012 Emerging Pictures “Opera in Cinema” and “Ballet in Cinema” season follows:

OPERA in CINEMA 2011-2012 Schedule from EmergingPictures

APRIL 26, The Barber of Seville by Gioachino Rossini

LIVE HD Opera from the Teatro Regio di Parma, Parma, Italy

Starring Dmitry Korchak, Bruno Praticò, Ketevan Kemoklidze & Luca Salsi

MAY 1, 2011 Manon, by Jules Massenet

Captured Live at the Gran Teatre del Liceu, Barcelona, Spain

Starring Natalie Dessay, Rolando Villazón & Samuel Ramey

MAY 3, Aida LIVE by Giuseppe Verdi

LIVE HD Opera from the Teatro del Maggio Musicale Fiorentino

Starring Roberto Tagliavini, Luciana D’Intino, Hui He & Marco Berti

JUNE 13, Macbeth LIVE by Giuseppe Verdi

LIVE HD Opera from the Royal Opera House, London, England

Starring Simon Keenlyside

AUGUST 9, Nabucco LIVE by Giuseppe Verdi

LIVE HD Opera from the Taormina Arte Festival

Starring Juan Pons, Chiara Taigi, Maria Guleghina, Francesco D'Ellero Artegna

SEPTEMBER 28, Faust LIVE by Charles-Francois Gounod

LIVE HD Opera from the Royal Opera House, London, England

Starring Vittorio Grigolo, René Pape, Angela Gheorghiu, Carole Wilson, Daniel Grice and Dimitri Hvorostovsky

OCTOBER 2011, (DATE & TIME TBA) La Donna del Lago LIVE by Gioachino Rossini

LIVE HD Opera from Teatro alla Scala

Starring Juan Diego Flórez & Joyce DiDonato

OCTOBER 1, 2011 Adriana Lecouvreur by Francesco Cilea

Captured Live at the Royal Opera House

Starring Angela Gheorghiu, Jonas Kaufmann, Olga Borodina, Alessandro Corbelli, Maurizio Muraro, Iain Paton, David Soar, Janis Kelly, Sarah Castle, Bonaventura Bottone

NOVEMBER 1, Tosca, by Giacomo Puccini

Captured Live at the Royal Opera House

Starring Angela Gheorghiu, Jonas Kaufmann, Bryn Terfel & Lukas Jakobski

DECEMBER 7, Don Giovanni LIVE by W.A. Mozart

LIVE HD Opera from Opening Night at Teatro alla Scala

Starring Anna Netrebko, Bryn Terfel & Elina Garanca Conducted by Daniel Barenboim

JANUARY 1, Cendrillon by Jules Massenet

Captured Live HD Opera from the Royal Opera House

Starring Joyce DiDonato, Alice Coote & Eglise Guttiérez

FEBRUARY 1, Il Trittico by Giacomo Puccini

Captured Live HD Opera from the Royal Opera House

Starring Lucio Gallo, Eva-Maria Westbroek, Anja Harteros, Anna Larsson, Elena Zilio, Anna Devin

MARCH 13 La Bohème LIVE by Giacomo Puccini

LIVE HD Opera from the Gran Teatre del Liceu

Starring Ramón Vargas & Fiorenza Cedolins

APRIL 17 Rigoletto LIVE by Giuseppe Verdi

LIVE HD Opera from the Royal Opera House

Starring Dimitri Plantanias, Ekaterina Siurina, Vittorio Grigolo, Pablo Bemsch, Christine Rice

BALLET in CINEMA 2011-2012 Schedule from EmergingPictures

MAY 29, COPPÉLIA

LIVE HD Ballet from the Bolshoi Ballet, Moscow

Original choreography by Marius Petipa recreated by Sergei Vikharev. Music by Leo Delibes. Starring Viacheslav Lopatin and Natalia Osipova

JUNE 19, SWAN LAKE

From the Bolshoi Ballet, Moscow

Recorded on September 26, 2010.

Starring Nicolai Tsiskaridze.

JULY 9, CHILDREN OF PARADISE

LIVE HD Ballet from the Paris Opera Ballet

Inspired by Jacques Prévert’s scenario for Marcel Carné’s film, José Martinez brings to life 19th century Paris, revealing a magical and mysterious world.

Choreography by José Martinez. Music by Marc-Olivier Dupin.

OCTOBER 9, ESMERALDA

LIVE HD Ballet from the Bolshoi Ballet

NOVEMBER 20, THE SLEEPING BEAUTY

LIVE HD from the Grand Re-Opening of the Bolshoi Theatre

DECEMBER 15, THE SLEEPING BEAUTY LIVE

From the Royal Ballet

Starring Lauren Cuthbertson & Sergei Polunin

DECEMBER 18, THE NUTCRACKER

Captured Live at the Bolshoi Ballet

MARCH 11, LE CORSAIRE

LIVE HD from the Bolshoi Ballet

MARCH 22, ROMEO AND JULIET

LIVE HD from the Royal Ballet

APRIL 29, THE BRIGHT STREAM

LIVE HD from the Bolshoi Ballet

MAY 16, LA FILLE MAL GARDÉE

LIVE HD from the Royal Ballet

June 24, RAYMONDA LIVE

From the Bolshoi Ballet

The HD live presentation by Ballet in Cinema of the Bolshoi's "Coppelia" today was sold out. I had to wait with a line of other spectators to get into the theater.

Osipova was a revelation. She flies with no apparent effort. She is so light on her feet, yet so very strong. She has a beautiful line, without distortion.

Her partner performed well in his solo in Act III. I was disappointed in his partnering and his acting. I could not see why Swanilda wouldn't want to abandon him to the doll. He had no appeal as the fiance.

The girls who entered the workshop with Swanilda were fun to watch. The dancers performing the role of the hours in Act III did well. I appreciated the dancing of two of the variations in Act III - by the woman in the white dress with the black flowers, and by the woman who danced to the snippet from Delibes's "Sylvia" in the multicolored dress. I could not identify their characters. Can anyone identify them from my description?

I do not think the choreography followed the program notes. Did the doctor return to sue for damages and was he placated in Act III? I do not recall seeing this.

Is it common to refer to a composer's prior work in a subsequent work? I was surprised to hear the theme from "Sylvia."

I thought the hairpieces and wigs were poorly done, surprisingly. I expected them to be much nicer.

Did the camera angle or the transmission distort the dancers' bodies? I have always thought, in pictures and on DVDs, that the Bolshoi dancers were very thin, but they appeared strangely thick, particularly in their calves, on the movie screen.

Osipova received the largest bouquet I have ever seen, and she deserved it!