This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New Petipa Bio? - NOT

EDITED: This has been clarified since I added the topic. It is NOT a legit book!

Just noticed this and am surprised that this hasn't come up in our forum:

http://www.amazon.com/MARIUS-PETIPA-FREDERIC-VANDOME-MCBREWSTER/dp/6130246846/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1302546332&sr=8-1

Is this a 'legit' book...or one of those photocopied compilation of public-domain web pages? Quite pricey @ $73 new and (gulp!) $194 used. Pay $194 for a batch of photocopied pages? Jeez, Louise.

I've never heard for the publisher..."Alphascript Publishing"??? :dunno:

If this is a sham, I'm amazed that Amazon allows it.

here's what alibris says, by way of 'synopsis':

<<

High Quality Content by WIKIPEDIA articles! Marius Ivanovich Petipa born Victor Marius Alphonse Petipa on 11 March 1818 in Marseille, Kingdom of France - died in Gurzuf in the Crimea, Russian Empire, in what is now the Ukraine, on 14 July O.S. 1 July 1910 was a ballet dancer, teacher, and choreographer. Marius Petipa is cited nearly unanimously by the most noted artists of the classical ballet to be the most influential balletmaster and choreographer that has ever lived among them George Balanchine, who cited Petipa as his primary influence. Marius Petipa is noted for his long career as Premier Matre de Ballet of the St. Petersburg Imperial Theatres, a position he held from 1871 until 1903. Petipa created over fifty ballets, some of which have survived in versions either faithful to, inspired by, or reconstructed from the original. The Pharaoh's Daughter (1862); Don Quixote (1869); La Bayadre (1877); Le Talisman (1889); The Sleeping Beauty (1890); The Nutcracker (which was most likely choreographed by Lev Ivanov, with Petipa's counsel and instruction) (1892); Le rveil de Flore (1894); Le Halte de Cavalerie (1896); Raymonda (1898); Les Saisons (1900), and Les millions d'Arlequin a.k.a. Harlequinade (1900).

>>

sounds as if this the equivalent of a 'pick-up' company, w/ 'pick-up' articles from Wikipedia.

here's what alibris says, by way of 'synopsis':.....sounds as if this the equivalent of a 'pick-up' company, w/ 'pick-up' articles from Wikipedia.

Thanks, RG. I'm surprised that this sort of thing is not regulated. 'Legit' on-line stores like amazon.com shouldn't allow these ventures to be marketed in their stores, IMO. And to 'package' it as some sort of academic publication with three authors?