This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Lorna Feijoo

Time has come for me to talk about a ballerina that holds a very special place in my heart, Lorna Feijoo. Back in 1991, and just as her big sister Lorena was getting to be known as a young, promising starlet, Lorna was still at the ballet school. I started noticing her right upon her graduation performance-(where she danced the role of Kitri). It wasn't really until Lorena defected that Lorna started her rising path within the Cuban ranks, and by 2001, the year of my departure from the island, she had already established herself as a Primera Bailarina.

Miss Feijoo wasn't what we would call a "naturally gifted" dancer. It was well known that she had to work really hard to show the merciless Cuban balletomanes that she was worth to watch. She didn't have Osipova's jumps, Zakharova's extensions, Valdes' balances or Part's beauty, but soon enough it was clear that she possessed a unique quality that eventually popped out in every performance of hers. She was-(is)- EXTREMELY musical, being her phrasing and legato works truly marvelous, and so resulting in our renaming of her as the "Queen of Accents". She was definitely THE Cuban Giselle of the 90's, being her dramatic qualities another of her trademarks.

I've never seen her dancing after she defected, but I believe that in Boston she has continued to be the very reliable, sensible to the music ballerina that I got to see in La Habana from her very beginnings. Miss Feijoo eventually became the one ballerina I really loved the most, probably along the lines of Rosario Suarez.

Great to know that she'll be back to dancing after having her baby girl. Good for you, Lorna, and thank you for all that dancing!!

As Odette, with Toto Carreno

Christian, I am looking forward to seeing her back on stage. I think she has a few small things in the upcoming Elo program, but will perform Titania in Balanchine's Midsummer in April. I know she is also doing the principal role in Balanchine's Divertimento #15. Was sorry she wasn't back for La Bayadere.

[she] will perform Titania in Balanchine's Midsummer in April. I know she is also doing the principal role in Balanchine's Divertimento #15.

Please, it'sthe mom, tell us about it when it happens...! :thumbsup:

In Don Quijote with Oscar Torrado

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzY9j6oVOvI&feature=related

In the Black Swan with Toto Carreno-(with a very scary moment toward the end of the coda)

In Coppelia, with Igor Yebra.

I would say she's worth a trip to Boston all by herself, if she's dancing anything at all good. smile.

You should have seen her in Ballo della Regina a few years ago. Ashley said that Feijoo was pretty much

her favorite current ballerina and that Feijoo could do anything. (VERY high praise, needless to say,

from a preeminent Balanchine virtuosa)

I would say she's worth a trip to Boston all by herself, if she's dancing anything at all good. smile.

You should have seen her in Ballo della Regina a few years ago. Ashley said that Feijoo was pretty much

her favorite current ballerina and that Feijoo could do anything. (VERY high praise, needless to say,

from a preeminent Balanchine virtuosa)

Oh, jsmu, I actually DID see her amazing performance in Ballo when she premiered it in Havana...back in 2000! :clapping:

And for the record, she gave an outstanding performance, but with a little detail. Right during some silly little running section, she slipped and took a grand fall on her butt...! That was one of the very few times I've seen a Principal fall during a performance, but because it happened in such non difficult part of the choreography, she just got up and danced the rest of the whole thing better than before. :) . Interesting enough, the incident can't be proved, because when they showed the video on TV later on, the very moment had been edited by repeating a previous fragment in slow motion. It took only like two seconds, so for those who hadn't been there, it never happened. But hey...I KNOW!! :P

Anyway...Miss Feijoo was, as usual, just divine. :wub:

And here's Merril Ashley's quote:

"If I was reduced to one ballerina in the world, Lorna would be the one I'd want to see in anything..."

Lorna in Carmen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGkpvfeUMMY

In Giselle-(Spessivtseva's solo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCxFjiwYGWc

In Cinderella

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GhbyENq9Rs&feature=related

That is especially amazing because I once saw the equally divine Kyra Nichols fall (a BIG fall, not a little one) on her tush in Ballo!

it wasn't a running section, but rather the series of turns into arabesque plie, which she went for as if the world was ending in ten minutes,

and I'll never forget how gracefully she recovered.

wasn't Feijoo great in Ballo? I once saw her in Diana and Actaeon and she's one of the only people who can make me sit riveted through

that entire thing, much less actually enjoy it!

Thank you cubanmiamiboy. From the video you posted she certainly is worth a trip to Boston. I have a relative who lives there, so I really will make the trip. I'm amazed by her for many reasons - she actually made that Don Q variation interesting to watch!

That is especially amazing because I once saw the equally divine Kyra Nichols fall (a BIG fall, not a little one) on her tush in Ballo!

it wasn't a running section, but rather the series of turns into arabesque plie, which she went for as if the world was ending in ten minutes,

and I'll never forget how gracefully she recovered.

There you go, jsmu...they're human...just like us...! :P

...wasn't Feijoo great in Ballo? I once saw her in Diana and Actaeon and she's one of the only people who can make me sit riveted through

that entire thing, much less actually enjoy it!.

I know...I've never seen a ballerina throw those arrows during the coda the way she did...!

Thank you cubanmiamiboy. From the video you posted she certainly is worth a trip to Boston. I have a relative who lives there, so I really will make the trip. I'm amazed by her for many reasons - she actually made that Don Q variation interesting to watch!

Vipa...try to get her in a romantic role , Giselle if you can. At this point I believe that would be her strongest point...

And about this...

...here's Zakharova's Carmen, just to make some comparisson...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vw6bbqXm2A

For the youtube link to Swanlake (In the Black Swan with Toto Carreno), I know it's not really "polite" for the crowd to act like figure skating fans, but I *loved it*, because the performances definitely deserved the audience reactions!

For the youtube link to Swanlake (In the Black Swan with Toto Carreno), I know it's not really "polite" for the crowd to act like figure skating fans, but I *loved it*, because the performances definitely deserved the audience reactions!

I know...even now, ten years after, I still get a little carried away sometimes-(last time was during Lorna's sister Lorena's great fouettes in DQ with the CCBM)-by whistling and the like. I got a couple of dirty looks and turned heads...

Oh whatever...

Lorna Feijoo was my very first Kitri -- she performed in Seattle on a tour with National Ballet of Cuba.

Today on its Facebook Page San Francisco Ballet posted this clip from Sesame Street featuring Lorna and Lorena Feijoo in what look like "Lambarena" dresses:

I know...even now, ten years after, I still get a little carried away sometimes-(last time was during Lorna's sister Lorena's great fouettes in DQ with the CCBM)-by whistling and the like. I got a couple of dirty looks and turned heads...

Oh whatever...

Is whistling a common thing to do when you are happy about a ballet move? Just asking, because I think in opera it would be considered an insult like you are making fun of the singer.

Re: whistling at the ballet (because Bart Birdsall asked a few posts up) - where I am (Germany) whistles from the audience are used to show appreciation, whether in opera, ballet or acting-theatre. The performers are not supposed to whistle backstage, though, due to superstitions. ;)

-d-

Re: whistling at the ballet (because Bart Birdsall asked a few posts up) - where I am (Germany) whistles from the audience are used to show appreciation, whether in opera, ballet or acting-theatre. The performers are not supposed to whistle backstage, though, due to superstitions. ;)

-d-

Diane,

I've heard about that superstition before. Where did that get started? What is the story behind that? Do you know? I would love to know why it is bad to whistle backstage.

I have to admit that if I am walking down the street and someone whistles I get so annoyed. For some reason I can't stand the sound of a whistle. But that is just a pet peeve of mine.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone whistle at an opera. I have heard people stomping feet and even stomping a cane.

I guess it would depend on the tone of the whistle. I suppose a whistle during applause that is a happy whistle makes sense. I think what came to my mind was mocking or sarcastic whistles like catcalls. That would be negative, I would think. But I am sure performers like any type of happy sounds.

I am astounded at the various types of claps. Some people clap so loudly that it is like an atomic clap. I look at their hands and try to figure out how they are making so much sound out of their hands, b/c my hands can't do that. I can clap loudly but a normal loud, but there are always one or two people nearby who somehow create an atomic clap. I am sure it is some technique cupping their hands or shape of hands or something.

Bart

Bart, I have heard several reasons for not whistling in the theatre. One of them was that in former times - before electronic means of communications backstage between stage hands and stage manager, etc., there were special "whistles" used to convey information about cues and set changes, etc. So, if a "different whistle" is heard, it could confuse things no end. :) There are surely other theories, too.

About the loud clapping: my husband is one who can clap extremely loudly; so much so, that I have to cover my ears when I am sitting next to him - it really hurts me!

Myself, I cannot clap very vgorously anymore, as I have already developed arthritis in my fingers, and vigorous applause is - sadly - rather painful to do.

The stomping is also done here a lot, especially if the floor is hollow enough to make it really satifying. :)

Hmmm, I guess we should get back on topic, before we are told to go somewhere else. ;)

It is a good thing we watched these video clips before most of them were removed due to whatever it is that causes youtube to remove them. :/ (most are not able to be viewed anymore, but some still are!)

-d-

Lorna was the one ballerina whom I really enjoyed at full in every role, and she really knew had to be a crowd pleaser. Of course, now that she's pushing 40 I can't expect for her to deliver with the same level as 15 years ago, but I know she still will be wonderful. Watching her dancing with Sarabita again will be like jumping in a time machine...

And about the whistling, well...going to a ballet night in Havana could made some unfamiliar members to think they are in a football game instead

Oh, how do I miss that too...

Lorna was the one ballerina whom I really enjoyed at full in every role, and she really knew had to be a crowd pleaser. Of course, now that she's pushing 40 I can't expect for her to deliver with the same level as 15 years ago, but I know she still will be wonderful. Watching her dancing with Sarabita again will be like jumping in a time machine...

And about the whistling, well...going to a ballet night in Havana could made some unfamiliar members to think they are in a football game instead

Oh, how do I miss that too...

You are so lucky to have seen her in all her roles, Cristian!

It must be exciting to be in an audience who treats ballet like a football game. I think the Italians do that for opera also at La Scala. They consider it almost like a blood sport! LOL

Yes, Helene, those are Lambarena dresses -- designed by Sandra Woodall. Lorena's wearing hte ballerina's costume. They are all beautiful.

THank you Christian, for the topic and hte clips. I DO wish you could post her variation from Tchai pas -- or the whole thing, which she danced with Damian Woetzel and which makes fugitive appearances on Youtube -- since it is , after Kyra Nichols's and Violette Verdy's and Elizabeth Loscavio's, the most musical and most satisfying and most "spontaneously" musical performance of that role that I've ever encountered.

She came to Berkeley with the Cuban Ballet in Giselle and I was out of my mind from her first pas de basques. Lorna Feijoo is a very great dancer.

Yes, Helene, those are Lambarena dresses -- designed by Sandra Woodall. Lorena's wearing hte ballerina's costume. They are all beautiful.

THank you Christian, for the topic and hte clips. I DO wish you could post her variation from Tchai pas -- or the whole thing, which she danced with Damian Woetzel and which makes fugitive appearances on Youtube -- since it is , after Kyra Nichols's and Violette Verdy's and Elizabeth Loscavio's, the most musical and most satisfying and most "spontaneously" musical performance of that role that I've ever encountered.

She came to Berkeley with the Cuban Ballet in Giselle and I was out of my mind from her first pas de basques. Lorna Feijoo is a very great dancer.

Yes, Paul...she is wonderful. What I find fascinating about her is not that a picture of a the super strong technician, but rather the special attention she gives to the music and the musical accents in her movements. There are always little movements of head, neck and eyes that she places right at the very precise musical moments, hence giving momentum to the phrase. Sometimes one can really tell when the dancer KNOWS musical counts and tempi or not...many times the magic of a moment is totally broken by trying to achieve that extra pirouette or a longer balance. Lorna, on the contrary, was a digital clock with her choices of steps. Sadly, I don't have that Tchai Pas you refer to with Woetzel. and yes...she was indeed wonderful on it. I can just imagine how would she had been in Theme and Variations would she had had the opportunity to dance it..

Here she is in the nowadays very neglected Grand Pas Classique with Sarabita.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZTRr-nDmQY

Diane and Actaeon with Carlos Acosta.

Black Swan PDD with Sarabita

And a bit of a presentation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AShdPq6YCg4

That Tchaik Pas variation is marvelous. and such an honor roll to be listed on!! Too young for Verdy, alas, but I saw Loscavio and Nichols do it often.

I am jealous--Ms Feijoo and Sarabia. *drool* two dancers whom one sees all too infrequently now.

Do you mean to tell me, cubanmiamiboy, that Boston Ballet never put on Theme and Variations for her?!?!??!??! Are they insane?