This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

DancePulp Season 2 - Bourne, Kowroski, Lacarra, Radetsky + more

All,

DancePulp kicked off its second season today, and new interviews are going to be released every Tuesday morning for the next several months. Season 2 includes interviews with a wide variety of personalities from the ballet and contemporary world, including:

Matthew Bourne (Choreographer)

Maria Kowroski (Principal, NYCB)

Raphael Coumes-Marquet (Principal, Dresden Semeropera Ballett)

Lucia Lacarra (Principal, Bayerisches Staatsballett)

Sascha Radetsky (Soloist, ABT)

Annabelle Lopez Ochoa (Choreographer - recent works on Ballet Hispanico, Ballets Jazz de Montreal)

Kathryn Bennetts (AD, Royal Ballet of Flanders) <- Filmed about two weeks before the incident that triggered the YouTube video.

Paul Lightfoot (Resident Choreographer, NDT)

Francesca Harper (Choreographer, works on Ailey, Broadway)

Edward Watson (Principal, Royal Ballet)

Clifton Brown (Ailey)

Merrill Ashley (fmr Principal, NYCB, now teacher at ABT)

The Matthew Bourne interview went live today on hulu.com/dancepulp (US audiences only. International audiences should visit dancepulp.com). Season 1 interviews with guests such as Daniil Simkin, Wendy Whelan, Christopher Wheeldon and Lourdes Lopez are also available at both locations.

Best,

Marc

Merrill Ashley (fmr Principal, NYCB, now teacher at ABT)

Is Merrill Ashley teaching at ABT? I'm shocked. She is such an integral part of NYCB's history. In the current program of NYCB, Merrill Ashley is listed as "Guest Teacher." Did she fill Georgina Parkinson's position, or was Merrill Ashley teaching at ABT prior to Ms. Parkinson's death?

Is Merrill Ashley teaching at ABT? I'm shocked. She is such an integral part of NYCB's history. In the current program of NYCB, Merrill Ashley is listed as "Guest Teacher." Did she fill Georgina Parkinson's position, or was Merrill Ashley teaching at ABT prior to Ms. Parkinson's death?

I rummaged around on the ABT site and Google and found this on the ABT site:

http://www.abt.org/education/archive/choreographers/ashley_m.html

She staged Ballo for ABT, but is listed (by ABT) as a Teaching Associate at NYCB.

On her "LinkedIn" page, she lists herself as a Guest Teacher at NYCB:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/merrill-ashley/22/197/9a0

Thank you very much, Marc. I've enjoyed all these interviews, not just for what they provide us of the dancers' personal history but for the glimpses of personality and thoughtfulness they afford. Kowroski's hard won wisdom about her perfectionism is an especial pleasure to hear. One small quibble: she's articulate enough to tell her own story. In my opinion, the background music detracts from, rather than enhances, her individuality.

Thank you very much, Marc. I've enjoyed all these interviews, not just for what they provide us of the dancers' personal history but for the glimpses of personality and thoughtfulness they afford. Kowroski's hard won wisdom about her perfectionism is an especial pleasure to hear. One small quibble: she's articulate enough to tell her own story. In my opinion, the background music detracts from, rather than enhances, her individuality.

Thanks!

As far as the background music, feedback is always welcome and greatly appreciated, and I'll make sure I relay it to the producers. I know that figuring out an appropriate music approach (which could be no music at all) is something that's being worked on. Based on viewer feedback, one big change made in this season was to mix in more footage (such the rehearsal shots with Chris Wheeldon) and to get rid of the multi-parters like we had in season 1.